The 2 Strongest Survivor Perks and Why They Need to be Weakened a Bit
Now survivors have an arsenal of good perks that give them certain abilities that can be game altering. This isn’t always a bad thing (like with Unbreakable or the new DS), but after playing many games with and against these perks, I feel like I have enough knowledge to say that Iron Will and Spine Chill are a bit too strong at times.
In a game where sound is just as important as sight, Iron Will has already been showcased countless times as being problematic as it can lead to killer’s having very little means of tracking/mind gaming a survivor. Paired with perks like Lucky Break, Iron Will can be very devastating to a killer’s momentum. Scratch marks and blood trails aren’t always reliable, especially when line of sight is broken or a map makes it more difficult to spot. There is also (whether intended or not) a side effect of Iron Will where the survivor doesn’t emit any noise, such as breathing or action grunts (I don’t think it impacts footsteps but wouldn’t be surprised if it did). Iron Will also hard counters Spirit’s power, which if I’m correct is the only perk (besides Spine Chill) that hard counters a killer’s power without any input from the survivor at all (which is the reason for Doctor’s Static Field to Static Blast change so let’s be fair here). Iron Will does need a slight nerf, but enough to just keep it in line and to prevent it from being too powerful all game (maybe a timed use or that the survivor starts off at 0% injury noises but it progressively builds up to 40/30/20% over a short duration).
Spine Chill is the other perk I feel as though is a bit problematic from the survivor side (and don’t worry I believe killer’s do have problematic perks too such as NOED). It grants free unlimited killer detection throughout the match, along with the increase in action speeds when the killer is facing your direction. It renders stealth killers basically useless (as well as stealth based killer perks), is another counter to Spirit (while she phases), and can alert anyone of any killer before their terror radius is even in range. I feel this perk activates easy mode for survivors and turns off the scare factor of having to be very aware when working on generators. The fact that it is constantly active too makes it completely better than premonition too, which is a similar perk that has a cool down. So to be fair, I think a few things need to happen to Spine Chill: once the Spine Chill effect activates it stays active for 15 seconds, then goes into a 60/45/30 second cooldown, and maybe reduce the range to 28-32m to give Premonition more appeal as it is a larger range but under control of where the survivor is looking.
Again, I believe some killer perks need adjusting too, so this isn’t a killer main biased post. I play both sides and I can tell as survivor that Spine Chill and Iron Will are extremely strong, probably granting them the status of best 2 survivor perks in the game (in my opinion). I think with the recent change to DS to bring it more in line with it’s intended purpose without being too strong or abusable, these 2 perks (and maybe a couple others) need to see similar changes made to them. Let me know your thoughts below or if you have other ideas about how to change these perks!
Comments
Both perks are fine and not overpowered you all really want us to run self care don't you 😂
Spine chill is the reason i don't play stealth killers or use undetectable perks. it makes them useless.