New player perspective of MMR

I’ve been playing about 2 months casually with 117 hours under my belt. My main game is destiny 2 so I’m not worried about a hard grinding game. Huge horror game fan and love objective based games so I finally decided to give dbd a go. Huge learning curve for new players and I’ve been getting on fairly well although some maps are trickier to get to grips with than others.

I thought it was hard enough climbing out of the face camping ranks and I managed to get to rank 5 recently… then MMR came along. I’m still learning the game, perks, what killers can and can’t do etc but I’m also not a potato so I don’t expect easy games every single game.

I gave it a fair chance with over 15+ games. It was a very mixed bag of getting people who didn’t know what they were doing and being 4K within 2 minutes against a rank 1 killer with 1000s of hours play, or going against a killer who didn’t get a single hook the entire game.

Both types of games I learned nothing at all. It wasn’t fun and I can’t imagine it would be fun for the killer either.

Like I said, I gave it a fair shot of over 15 games to even itself out. But after continually getting put against god like killers I can do nothing against, I’m not sure I want to invest in this game at all now (I’ve put off buying any dlc whilst I decide if I want to commit fully to the game).

I hope they improve the mmr system if they are going to implement it in the game permanently. As is, I would not continuing playing and I am now hesitant to buy any game add ons.

Comments

  • MMR has been a vast improvement for me. I'm purple ranks for both killer and survivor.

    Used to face constant red ranks as killer, lot of 2 hook games. Now it's more even. Averaging 2-3 kills a game. (Still get some he's that are over in a minute with one gen done, and some where I don't kill anybody, but they are much rarer now.)

    As survivor, MMR still thinks I'm better than I am, as I still face a lot of red rank killers, but I do survive a little more often. I'm not that good at looping, so I go down pretty fast, but I'm not facing the top tier killers anymore, so I think it's better.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Well I hope you stick around the game really needs a lot of new players to fall in love with it despite the BS it throws up at times.

    I'm not new to the game over 1,000on ps4 over 1,000 on xbox series X a few hundred on Xbox one & Switch & a handful on PC before I decided my work pc just wasn't up to it.

    While the current mmr isn't perfect I'm over 50 games in since it started testing again (all recorded too) & it's been probably the best match making in years for me personally.

    When the killer scored a 4k they all pretty much deserved it & when we've had a 4 man escape we've generally pretty much deserved it.

    I think out of all the games only 1 a trapper was clearly out of their depth & never had a chance.

    While I don't discount your own experiences or that of others that have a similar view it should at least be noted that those experiences are ones many of us have endured for years long before mmr.

    It's never going to be perfect, it might not even be all that functional but personally I can't see what else they can do that's better, at least from past experience.

    Of course maybe hearing all that you'll just decide it's not for you & that's fair enough but like I said hopefully you & a good number of the new players jumping in for resident evil will stick around in theory the bigger the player base the more data & more fair mmr will become

    I'm glad it works for you, as someone with about 100 hours and rank 15 killer, I have only gone against red ranks (incuding multlple rank 1s) in EVERY GAME for about 15 games. If this is the new MMR, then I'm not going to play this game anymore.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Well I hope you stick around the game really needs a lot of new players to fall in love with it despite the BS it throws up at times.

    I'm not new to the game over 1,000on ps4 over 1,000 on xbox series X a few hundred on Xbox one & Switch & a handful on PC before I decided my work pc just wasn't up to it.

    While the current mmr isn't perfect I'm over 50 games in since it started testing again (all recorded too) & it's been probably the best match making in years for me personally.

    When the killer scored a 4k they all pretty much deserved it & when we've had a 4 man escape we've generally pretty much deserved it.

    I think out of all the games only 1 a trapper was clearly out of their depth & never had a chance.

    While I don't discount your own experiences or that of others that have a similar view it should at least be noted that those experiences are ones many of us have endured for years long before mmr.

    It's never going to be perfect, it might not even be all that functional but personally I can't see what else they can do that's better, at least from past experience.

    Of course maybe hearing all that you'll just decide it's not for you & that's fair enough but like I said hopefully you & a good number of the new players jumping in for resident evil will stick around in theory the bigger the player base the more data & more fair mmr will become

    It's AMAZING what experience can show you with many, many hours in this game. I think I'm still at the low end, but I have fun now just gauging how the killer is playing and which perks they might be employing. You come to admire those killers who can really viciously destroy a survivor team (although it's frustrating and can be boring from the survivor perspective), and sometimes you can tell the player is inexperienced with a killer and play accordingly.

    I still don't have huge hours in the game but I can see why people get more and more into it. Eventually the little here-and-there single match issues aren't worth worrying about too much and the overall experience of say, an evening all put together, is what's fun. Just sucks ending on a sour note if you get a really good killer and stomped right before bed!

  • @sumps1 said:

    I’ve been playing about 2 months casually with 117 hours under my belt. My main game is destiny 2 so I’m not worried about a hard grinding game. Huge horror game fan and love objective based games so I finally decided to give dbd a go. Huge learning curve for new players and I’ve been getting on fairly well although some maps are trickier to get to grips with than others.

    I thought it was hard enough climbing out of the face camping ranks and I managed to get to rank 5 recently… then MMR came along. I’m still learning the game, perks, what killers can and can’t do etc but I’m also not a potato so I don’t expect easy games every single game.

    I gave it a fair chance with over 15+ games. It was a very mixed bag of getting people who didn’t know what they were doing and being 4K within 2 minutes against a rank 1 killer with 1000s of hours play, or going against a killer who didn’t get a single hook the entire game.

    Both types of games I learned nothing at all. It wasn’t fun and I can’t imagine it would be fun for the killer either.

    Like I said, I gave it a fair shot of over 15 games to even itself out. But after continually getting put against god like killers I can do nothing against, I’m not sure I want to invest in this game at all now (I’ve put off buying any dlc whilst I decide if I want to commit fully to the game).

    I hope they improve the mmr system if they are going to implement it in the game permanently. As is, I would not continuing playing and I am now hesitant to buy any game add ons.

    During those 15 games did you get the same killers or were the killers different?

    I was wondering that maybe there is a separate rank against each killer which needs to separately adjust. (If it is like this, it should be improved so that all the rank adjust faster).