Does the game being broke add to its appeal?

The fact that almost every game has a bug or lag issue makes it incredibly hard to play. In some weird way does this add to the charm of the game? Sort of like driving a beater car, but you get extra joy when it actually works because you know it is a minor miracle?


I know the few times the game works and plays correctly I enjoy it greatly, but the majority of the games all are buggy. Yet I keep coming back knowing how flawed DBD is.

Comments

  • Honestly for me it’s 2 things.

    1. There’s still really nothing quite like DBD. Not even remotely comparable.
    2. DBD is probably one of modern gaming’s most endearing success stories. It was a small team, making a small game, with limited resources, and no one thought it would really go anywhere, or last very long. And here we are 5 years later with a HUGE player base, across many platforms, and it’s one of the most highly streamed/viewed games of all time (not the highest, but it’s up there). All this whilst maintaining its heart and vision despite now being almost unrecognisable from the game that was released 5 years ago. If ever there was a documentary on the history and development of this game, I’d watch it.
  • Not even in the slightest, the bugs and other issues that affect gameplay are all detractors, cosmetic bugs I dont care about but of course those are patched quickly.

  • The game isn't broken. A broken game crashes all the time at random and unavoidable intervals, freezes, won't start, has dramatic bugs that completely prevent the ability to properly play it (falling through the ground into a void, etc). This game just needs some adjustment, as most complex games do.

  • Dead by Daylight has had its moments over the years. Survivors didn't used to fall straight down off of a ledge, they used to fall in an arc and that made some fun situations.

    Not gonna lie sometimes I like it better when the game is borked. You're a grizzled survivor being pred upon by a vicious killer. You hear a harsh noise in the distance. Pap. Pap!

    Suddenly a piece of pallet wood is floating towards the stratosphere. Oh. That's where the killer is. Marvelous.