The Thing could be a Possibility - A Speculation
John Carpenter's The Thing. Everyone knows about that classic horror movie whose theme is based on distrust and knowing who everyone is.
With the newest upcoming chapter of Dead by Daylight bringing in AI-controlled creatures in the form of Zombies, I'm sure some of you out there have probably also thought the same thing I did; it could be possible to implement Killers not previously possible into Dead by Daylight now.
One such Killer: The Thing.
How would The Thing Work in Dead by Daylight?
Well, the old answer would've been through Assimilation tactics or something of that sort, but I figured out something much more evil and cunning, as well as befitting of the themes that the original The Thing movie had going for it.
The Power is called "I Am You".
This Power is passive at first, in which it copies two of the four survivors at random and adds them, making a total of 6 total survivors in the match, each with identical items and other things. These two fake survivors will act like real survivors; they can be attacked by the Killer, they can do generators, chests, be hooked, just about everything a normal survivor can do.
But then they will do things out of the ordinary; vaulting windows multiple times, rush vaulting, throwing down pallets out of nowhere, regressing generators on their own, even straight up not healing you--well, now that I mention it, that's just your typical Dwight main, isn't it?
Anyway, after all of this is said and done, perhaps you'll be safe; after all, this is a power based purely on deception, right?
Right...?
Special Ability: Metamorphosis
This ability triggers at the will of The Thing after a passage of 300 seconds (5 minutes) of time passing.
Once this ability triggers, both of the AI-controlled player characters will transform into hideous Thing versions of themselves, which no longer actually hinder survivors, but instead, attack them.
These Player-Things will roam the map and chase the survivor at a speed slightly better than the player (being 5% faster than a normal survivor), and will damage or even down the survivor if they are unlucky. They can be stunned and blinded, cannot pick up the survivor and cannot Mori them.
This, this puts the ultimate layer of distrust into the players; you don't know who is who, or when they will attack you. All you know is that The Thing is there and it is watching you...
And it is waiting...
=======================================================================================
But what do you all think? Do you think that The Thing could be a very real possibility thanks in part due to the advancements made by The Nemesis and the Resident Evil chapter?
Would you have fun with a Killer whose ability is to manipulate a survivor's team and cause discourse among them? Would it be fine? Would it be overpowered? Do you have any idea as to what The Thing could be if it actually did get into DbD?
Let me know what you think and let's get this potential speculation thread going.
Comments
I'm not sure the AI will ever be good enough for this. I don't know if those AI controlled survivors could behave convincingly enough to be mistaken for player controlled characters.
I did have an idea of my own, for an original killer, which I did think could possibly be used for a Thing licence. However, I realised there was a big problem, which I think would also be problematic for your idea; it'd be pretty difficult to deceive a 4 man SWF.
Maybe I'll post my idea some time, see what people think.