How are legit DCs differentiated from not legit DCs?

Seems obvious to me that a DC from the menu option is logged as such, but how are other DCs distinguished? I haven't gotten banned and I think I've maybe DCed once because of a personal thing that came up unexpectedly, so I'm not really concerned, more curious. For example, someone could intentionally DC by powering off their system. Are system logs (whether PC or console) looked at? Is there a method in place to determine network issues? I'm guessing a simple communications timeout isn't enough to go on. Or is it that such technical detail isn't necessary and that percentage of DCs has the most (or only) weight on bans? I had a friend who was banned from Overwatch due to getting constantly timed out because of a poor DSL connection. Granted, laggy individuals are not ideal in an online game, I don't know that people with poor connections should be banned. In that case is average ping examined? Again, more so a curiosity. I have great internet and personally enjoy sticking each match out to the end. I love playing as the killer and nabbing someone who was cocky and teabagging at the exit and then getting downed by me at the last second. Even at that point there's a chance they could escape, so each match is exciting down to the end. I couldn't find any answer to this when searching disconnect.

Comments

  • Almost impossible. When two things usually disconnect from each other they do a kind of 'goodbye handshake' to cleanly let each other know that they won't be speaking to each other(at least on the current connection). A ripped out ethernet cord/losing power will not result in that handshake but things are usually coded such that recovery will happen shortly after the last communication or some expectation setup.


    You could argue that they could implement something like what you are discussing but that has HUGE privacy concerns. DBD would need to scan your personal files and logs and you could always configure those to be routed elsewhere or set up rules to delete them right away. What are you asking for is essentially impossible to truly implement. Same vein as 'can we stop swf from comms'? You could, arguably, make it harder but at the end of the day, no, there's far too many external factors and variables to consider where any implementation could probably be skirted around very fast once the rules of such a system are discovered.

    At the end of the day it's not really an application(DBD, other video games, streaming services, etc.)'s job to monitor and keep track of an individuals internet history and trends over time. They just care about the current connection and perhaps the amount of times you DC historically to put bans on your account. This is the best system at the moment in terms of not having a bunch of extra code and data storage running that is largely meaningless.