Newer player confused about the ballance

So I bought the game about a month ago and love playing the killer. I like Asymmetrical pvp games because one side is strong and must be overcome by the guile of a collected group. And I like being that challenge to overcome. And i can understand that some rules have to be put in place. However some things baffle me. Keep in mind when reading this, I got to Killer rank 9 In my first season by looking up (what few recent) guides I could find, and furthering my knowledge of the game.

That being said,I actually get bullied by organized survivor groups. Legit Troll bullied, often.
Ie: I guess the right first gen, and the whole group is there. It's already almost done even though i walked right to it. I kick it, break it. Turn, hit someone, and before my hit animation is done, someone has ran over, and fixed it in a moment. And the person i cut is already healed by the time my breaking animation is completed. This is repeated until that generator is done, then the next then the next. I could do nothing but be t-bagged and be laughed at.

So my question about this situation is this: Why do I have to go through a 2-2.5 second animation to break the gen, but they can unbreak it in a second? Why doesn't it, at least, require a skillcheck?(Which would at least delay it for a second. But more on skillchecks later)

After all the gens are done, they go to the exit, and the exit gate is even easier for them then the other gens. ANd as I litterally watch the gate be open by a group I cant stop i realized: That gate is really easy to open, and theres two of them they can choose from, and a hatch that ops up if i happen to sack 4.

My question about this situation is this:
Why is the exit gate so quick to open? Especially, ESPECIALLY, if there's 2 of them. Why can't it open in stages? Like some sorta vault door or something?

Against organized groups of actually good survivors that I don't immediately find on the first gen isn't much better. The gens get knocked out quickly. I've had 4 minute matches (at rank 9 and 10) where i had almost no chance to do anything. By the time I hooked one,(which didn't take to long, i was the clown, and his gas made the chase quick) 2 gens were done. And they ignored the person on the hook till the other 3 gens were done, then got her, before the entity killed her. I didn't camp. i didn't need to. They had 2 people on a gen while a third kept me busy for a very short time (in which I hit them, but at that point the exit gates are powered, and one is going for the unhook,and the other a gate. At this point, even if I get this one sack, I'm still losing a pip, and i really don't see how this was fun for either side. it was fast, and they kinda stared at a gen and pushed a button every handful of seconds.

So I have a few questions about this:
Why are gens so fast to be done?
If there is a reason that a gen can be done by a good survivor in a couple of minutes by himself, why so few? Why just one more then the survivors?

Skillchecks aren't that hard for good survivors And i can't imagine pushing one button every now and again is much fun if uninterupted. So why not have skillchecks over more then one button?

Along with this, why not make skill checks some sort of combination you have to hit. You could keep the same system, but instead of the skillcheck being done after the first hit, a new button would pop up, and you would hit that, and so on. Maybe even for the duration of the repair. That honestly sounds like more fun, and like it would slow things down a little but not a huge amount.

Another thing I think needs to be discussed, is how there's no way to learn a new killer. I got myself to rank 9 as the Hag. Her ability to pressure the map and do more then one thing at once gave me a fighting chance against organized groups (if the made a mistake, like over altruism or can't hit skillchecks for some reason, or just bad pathing) Anyways, I get to rank 9 and think "#########, this is fun, I'll drop a couple more bucks into the game, and get the clown.

And what's the first thing you want to do when you pay money for something? Use it. I run a few matches with my main, then one as the Doc to warm myself up for "Chaser Play" and drop the points on my new clown to get him a few levels. Put on 2 perks cause I got myself to level 6 on the bloodweb and went out into rank 10 world (i lost a couple games) as a brand new clown with 2 perks, and common level add ons.

By the entity that was horrible. Not only did I not have the right perks to slow the game down (butcher being one of my faves) But I didn't know how to use my killers ability. I've had 0 time to work out the muscle memory for this guy, and I'm against maxed out survivors.
And this is supposed to be "Ranked"

Why can't there be a bot setting, so i can practice how his stuff arcs, and how he vaults, ect?

TLDR:
The game seems oddly slanted to the survivors, little mechanic tweaks that make you think "Well I guess they had to give the survivors something" the first time, then after so many of them add up you can't but help go "Alright, they have to tweak this. The killer is supposed to be an obstical, not a joke"

Comments

  • Wow, that is a wall of text. I'm not going to lie, I didn't read all of it. You do have a decent point about how easy it is for survivors to stop a generators regression. Personally, I think when the killer kicks the gen, it should damage the generator by like 3% or something to help discourage gen tapping during a chase.

    As far as killers being bullied goes, honestly it just takes more experience to make the survivors respect you. If you start slaughtering them, they won't pull that kind of crap. Here is a basic strategy that works well on most killers, but newbies just don't do.

    Don't try to fight survivors over the whole map. Choose about 1/3 of the map as your territory. Preferably where ever the generators are concentrated the thickest. If a survivor tries to run outside your zone, just let them go. I know it's hard as a new killer. You're like a dog with a bone. If you see the bone, why not chew it? Right? Here is why the strategy works. Eventually, all the good pallets in your zone will be destroyed.

    Who cares if there are 20 intact pallets on the map if you never intend to chase survivors near them? Who cares if 3 gens are done if all the remaining generators are close together and easy to patrol? Who cares if a survivor gets away from you if they have to come near you to work on gens eventually? This works especially well when you pair it with perks that slow generator repair such as pop goes the weasel and overcharge. Like I said, it works on most killers. Though this kind of strategy works especially well with zone control killers such as Trapper, Hag, and Doctor. Give that a try and let me know how it goes.

  • To put it simply, groups of survivors that pop in rapid fire aren't balanced. They're very likely Survive with Friends, or SWF as it's commonly called They just aren't and may never be.
    they're absolutely game breaking. Keep an eye on the lobby, and dodge rapidly appearing survivors.

  • Wow, that is a wall of text. I'm not going to lie, I didn't read all of it. You do have a decent point about how easy it is for survivors to stop a generators regression. Personally, I think when the killer kicks the gen, it should damage the generator by like 3% or something to help discourage gen tapping during a chase.

    As far as killers being bullied goes, honestly it just takes more experience to make the survivors respect you. If you start slaughtering them, they won't pull that kind of crap. Here is a basic strategy that works well on most killers, but newbies just don't do.

    Don't try to fight survivors over the whole map. Choose about 1/3 of the map as your territory. Preferably where ever the generators are concentrated the thickest. If a survivor tries to run outside your zone, just let them go. I know it's hard as a new killer. You're like a dog with a bone. If you see the bone, why not chew it? Right? Here is why the strategy works. Eventually, all the good pallets in your zone will be destroyed.

    Who cares if there are 20 intact pallets on the map if you never intend to chase survivors near them? Who cares if 3 gens are done if all the remaining generators are close together and easy to patrol? Who cares if a survivor gets away from you if they have to come near you to work on gens eventually? This works especially well when you pair it with perks that slow generator repair such as pop goes the weasel and overcharge. Like I said, it works on most killers. Though this kind of strategy works especially well with zone control killers such as Trapper, Hag, and Doctor. Give that a try and let me know how it goes.


    This literally doesn't work for half the killers at high ranks, smart survivors who know the game will have someone loop you while they complete one of the too close gens, evwn if it costs them a hook or two. If you had done this and it is working, not only did you risk way too much only to defend the final gens, but if you aren't doctor or a trap based character, there is only so much you can do to ensure one of the close gens won't pop anyway, and 9/10 times the survivors will simply wait for you to leave the area and go searching for them so some can sneak back (especially SWF). Now if you add slugging to this strat, it can work, especially of you use pop goes the weasle, over charge, unnerving, and butcher. You may not get everyone, but you won't lose a pip
  • Sometimes I feel like these "new player" post are older players finding a new way to be heard...
  • Yeah swf is always a challenge if they know what they're doing. Balance tends to be focused around ingame information for new players which is why stress seems to accompany higher ranks. Both sides make claims of the opposition being op in some cases, which I feel causes balance changes to be minor in scale of what the game needs to grow. If the community could stop turning on itself with the vs mentality, the Devs might actually speed up response to major issues and design changes.
  • I do tend to play to one side of the map. The Hag lets me cover a large area. but hunting outside of the area i trap is pointless against decent survivors. (i need my traps to get around windows and pallets) But there are times when nothing I do matters, in the least bit.
    If anyone has some guides for killers that are at least semi-recent, I'de appreciate it.

  • Game is terribly survivor sided. Killers are there to entertain them. You already bought the clown. Now guess what the killer is for survivors. 

    All gens can be repaired in 3 minutes or less.
    Killer has to do 12 hooks in the same time.
    This won't get any better, since now killers will be punished if they camp.

    Rank reset happened, so you should try to stay on low ranks and get used to the other killers. Since hag plays so different than other killers. 
  • @Tsulan said:
    Game is terribly survivor sided. Killers are there to entertain them. You already bought the clown. Now guess what the killer is for survivors. 

    All gens can be repaired in 3 minutes or less.
    Killer has to do 12 hooks in the same time.
    This won't get any better, since now killers will be punished if they camp.

    Rank reset happened, so you should try to stay on low ranks and get used to the other killers. Since hag plays so different than other killers. 

    Yeah I've been practicing my "Chasers" as I call them. Clown is good for cutting off rotations.

    I don't understand why killers are being punished for camping. There is literally only one time camping is worth it. And that when you have someone on the hook when the last gen is done, or just after.

    I stand by my previous point that there doesn't need to be TWO exits that take less then 30 seconds to open. (i don't know how long, but I just had one group open one in about that) And that they should probably have more then one door on the gate, making them open each.

  • @Tsulan said:
    Game is terribly survivor sided. Killers are there to entertain them. You already bought the clown. Now guess what the killer is for survivors. 

    All gens can be repaired in 3 minutes or less.
    Killer has to do 12 hooks in the same time.
    This won't get any better, since now killers will be punished if they camp.

    Rank reset happened, so you should try to stay on low ranks and get used to the other killers. Since hag plays so different than other killers. 

    Yeah I've been practicing my "Chasers" as I call them. Clown is good for cutting off rotations.

    I don't understand why killers are being punished for camping. There is literally only one time camping is worth it. And that when you have someone on the hook when the last gen is done, or just after.

    I stand by my previous point that there doesn't need to be TWO exits that take less then 30 seconds to open. (i don't know how long, but I just had one group open one in about that) And that they should probably have more then one door on the gate, making them open each.

    There are more moments when camping is the right choice. 
    2 or 3 survivors hooked in the basement or close to each other? Killer has every right to camp. Survivors ######### up and yet the killer gets punished in that situation. Since he should allow for free unhooks.
  • @Tsulan said: Stuff that makes sense

    >
    Valid point. Guarding more then one kill is definately a good time to camp.
    I've also camped if there is someone on a hook right next to an almost done gen. Just seems dumb to walk away from that.

    Also, some of the killers might want to camp and get the rescuer, as there kits seem to be geared to that. (IE: wraith)