The Problem with Spirit

Too often I hear similar statements.

"Spirit takes no skill"

"she's too easy"

"Make her fatigue"

No. This is not the problem.

Yeah, yeah, some of you might go see some of my previous posts and know I have defended Spirit in the past about many accusations saying she's too easy and the likes.

But I have never denied 1 thing. She's not in a good place. It's not because she's too easy or anything. Instead, it's because she has 1 trait that most killers in this game do not have that makes her ridiculously frustrating.

She removes survivor skill from the equation entirely.

Let's look at Nurse. Against a god Nurse, you're going to die. Just no way around it. But what makes her different? She gives some sort of feedback allowing you to make a play, and then you die because she was ready for it.

Spirit? She stands still and... you guess. There's no skill mind game involved, just guessing. You never know what she's doing or where she (really) is.

Worst yet, it's a one-sided guess. If you're at a maze tile with a normal killer with a wall between you, both of you are making reads off each other due to a lack of visual information. Spirit, while lacking visual information, maintains audio while survivors lack anything. Once again, it's just random guessing at that point unless you have something big brain like Spine Chill.

Think otherwise? Take a look at the breathing bug some time back where Spirit's breathing followed her. She was a lot more fun to verse because she gave feedback. Survivors got information and had to make an actual read; they could double back to drop a pallet, crouch to muffle their audio to sound further away to trick her, not get instantly grabbed off a gen because you thought she was chasing your teammate. She might not have been "fun" to some (or many), but she instantly became a lot more fair.

Sure, you could point out some other things; passive phase is annoying, some of her add-ons are stupid (looking at you MDR), and she may never be the most enjoyable killer to verse due to her nature as a supposed mind game-centric killer. But through it all, that is issue people have with Spirit, and the one factor about her I won't defend because I agree. She eliminates survivor skill and it's simply not fair.

Comments

  • That is the major issue with spirit. But her difficulty is also an issue since you’re getting all the reward of an S tier killer without having to learn her.

    Most people want her to have a tell so they can actually react and try some form of counterplay before they just die.

  • The other issue the spirit have is her addons, she have some broken addons like yakuyoke, she can have 8 seconds of phase and she can put another speed addon that cancel the negative effect of that addon

  • As long as they don't gut her, I suppose a change would be nice.

  • if you add spirit with stridor and good headphones you can't escape her no matter what you do

  • The main issue with Spirit is, as you've said, the lack of information you get from her as a survivor. Get hit at a pallet? Your guess didn't pay off. This total information blackout has got to go.

  • The problem with Spirit IS the fact that she is too easy to play as. I am not talking about her entire kit or powers.

    I am talking about one thing: her ability to hear injured survivors when she is phasing.

    It is so easy to hear them you might as well not make them invisible.

    They should have their grunts/sounds muffled or echoed or somehow not as easy to track when you are right up behind them.

    This is also why even though I can’t tell where she is exactly when I’m healthy, I don’t mind it as much because she can’t necessarily tell where I am either.

    I think when people say she is too easy, this is what they mean or at least part of it.