Epilepsy Protocol

Hopefully this finds its way to developers.

I'm deeply a fan of this game. I love the lore, I love the play, I love the cross platform capabilities. However, as an epileptic, there are certain features I wish were different. You have enabled various accommodations for those who experience color blindness, and I strongly recommend investing into an epileptic safe mode as many other games have. Common issues I experience include the sparking effect of generators when they are flushed against a surface with the reflective flashing, fire flicker, and the contrast animation with trickster reloading out of lockers. Surprisingly enough, flashlight animation is not necessarily as bad as you would think as being flashlighted/flishlighting produces a relatively stable singular light source, but there should be an epilepsy safe protocol reducing the contrast (a blinded effect with lower color contrast). I'm sure there are more situations, and I'm sure others who suffer from epilepsy as well may have additional feedback, but as a passionate player and gamer, I have to say, its really a day ruiner to have to close my eyes and blind walk away from certain situations as to not potentially trigger a seizure. As I've experienced with other games, there are many ways to enable safe game play for those with photic sensitivities without handicapping us/ or providing advantages, and I genuinely hope for my sake and others who are very much dedicated to the game and its constant improvements that you look into options that might help us.

Comments

  • Yes this need to be a part of the game I'm friends with people who love this game but can play for long because of it not being epilepsy friendly

  • Hopefully the devs see this and do something to help those with epilepsy.

  • @Ellubear said:

    Hopefully this finds its way to developers.

    I'm deeply a fan of this game. I love the lore, I love the play, I love the cross platform capabilities. However, as an epileptic, there are certain features I wish were different. You have enabled various accommodations for those who experience color blindness, and I strongly recommend investing into an epileptic safe mode as many other games have. Common issues I experience include the sparking effect of generators when they are flushed against a surface with the reflective flashing, fire flicker, and the contrast animation with trickster reloading out of lockers. Surprisingly enough, flashlight animation is not necessarily as bad as you would think as being flashlighted/flishlighting produces a relatively stable singular light source, but there should be an epilepsy safe protocol reducing the contrast (a blinded effect with lower color contrast). I'm sure there are more situations, and I'm sure others who suffer from epilepsy as well may have additional feedback, but as a passionate player and gamer, I have to say, its really a day ruiner to have to close my eyes and blind walk away from certain situations as to not potentially trigger a seizure. As I've experienced with other games, there are many ways to enable safe game play for those with photic sensitivities without handicapping us/ or providing advantages, and I genuinely hope for my sake and others who are very much dedicated to the game and its constant improvements that you look into options that might help us.

    I post about this at least once a month for years now. Haddonfield is a headache because of the police cars, and Lerys is completely unplayable.

    Not to be discouraging. I am glad others are bringing the issue up.

  • @BastardKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/249884/epilepsy-protocol

    I post about this at least once a month for years now. Haddonfield is a headache because of the police cars, and Lerys is completely unplayable.

    Not to be discouraging. I am glad others are bringing the issue up.

    Not discouraging at all. I'm glad someone else has noticed it. Maybe more people make more attention and more attention makes a response. I also accept its likely to not be addressed. I know other illnesses experience photic sensitivities like migraines and some people with autism, its not exclusive to epilepsy. And in this day and age, there's really no reason to not have a contrast setting or an option to disable flickering. I can drop all of my settings down to lowest settings, but imo thats not really an acceptable way to go about it and that speaks poorly as a developer to have that as the only resolution. Klei entertainment responded almost immediately when they received several concerns about epilepsy and photic sensitivity protocol and included it in a patch about 3-4 weeks after it being addressed on their forums. Its really disappointing to see a lack of response to this, however. I mean, I'm not here to complain about balancing or nerfing. Its a health and safety matter for someone who doesn't care an ounce for balance/unbalance I just want to be able to get through more than 2 games without needing to go take anti convulsants and sleep for hours to recover.

  • @Ellubear said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2189152#Comment_2189152

    Not discouraging at all. I'm glad someone else has noticed it. Maybe more people make more attention and more attention makes a response. I also accept its likely to not be addressed. I know other illnesses experience photic sensitivities like migraines and some people with autism, its not exclusive to epilepsy. And in this day and age, there's really no reason to not have a contrast setting or an option to disable flickering. I can drop all of my settings down to lowest settings, but imo thats not really an acceptable way to go about it and that speaks poorly as a developer to have that as the only resolution. Klei entertainment responded almost immediately when they received several concerns about epilepsy and photic sensitivity protocol and included it in a patch about 3-4 weeks after it being addressed on their forums. Its really disappointing to see a lack of response to this, however. I mean, I'm not here to complain about balancing or nerfing. Its a health and safety matter for someone who doesn't care an ounce for balance/unbalance I just want to be able to get through more than 2 games without needing to go take anti convulsants and sleep for hours to recover.

    Honestly I think this is why I stopped playing as much. As someone who suffers from migraines, especially photosensitivity, some of these maps hurt

  • @Avalihn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2189169#Comment_2189169

    Honestly I think this is why I stopped playing as much. As someone who suffers from migraines, especially photosensitivity, some of these maps hurt

    Just had to quit a game as survivor. I couldn't go inside anywhere on Lerys.

  • Day 4 of not being able to tolerate a game. Really wishing this is something development would address. Its a shame to have such dedicated customers and gamers that you let down, DBD.