32:9 Aspest Ratio support.

Until recently, I used to have 3 16:9 monitors separately from each other, so I didn't have any problem with playing DBD, however a couple days ago I received my 5120 x 1440 32:9 Odyssey G9 and opened Dead by Daylight instantly. It was a huge disappointment, when even in the character list I saw this:

Screenshot_1.png

So during the match it becomes basically unplayable, because it's just zoom from 16:9. I get much less vertical info, so if I play as a survivor, I just can't keep track of things, such as location of the killer during looping, where the generators are etc. Why after almost five years there is still no proper support for 32:9 aspect ratio and could we wait for it once? For now, unfortunately, the only option for me is to leave the game


14.png Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_3.png Screenshot_4.png


Comments

  • Yeah, not the most popular thing to discuss

  • I play on 3440x1440 which has the same issue that you do.

    You can play with black bars on the side - it won't look good, especially on a 49", but it'll fix the scaling issue. Basically you need to scale the res back down to 2560x1440 while filling the rest of the screen with black space.

    I use a fix similar to this one: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/66913/solution-for-ultrawide-to-full-hd

    However, instead of using windowed borderless in steam launch properties, I use a fullscreen setting.

  • @lowiq said:

    I play on 3440x1440 which has the same issue that you do.

    You can play with black bars on the side - it won't look good, especially on a 49", but it'll fix the scaling issue. Basically you need to scale the res back down to 2560x1440 while filling the rest of the screen with black space.

    I use a fix similar to this one: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/66913/solution-for-ultrawide-to-full-hd

    However, instead of using windowed borderless in steam launch properties, I use a fullscreen setting.

    So as I understand, this method involves getting into .ini files, however I tried to change GameUserSettings.ini and Engine.ini and neither worked, it just prevents me from editing any .ini files. I searched for some more info and in russian community I found some more complaints on this problem, so .ini files are just uneditable now and I can't change things like resolution/framerate etc cuz there are no proper tools in Settings menu. Moreover, I'm still not sure if it's even allowed to edit any ini files, cuz there is still a lot of discussion on it. Nevertheless, thank you.

  • @Efkas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2194649#Comment_2194649

    So as I understand, this method involves getting into .ini files, however I tried to change GameUserSettings.ini and Engine.ini and neither worked, it just prevents me from editing any .ini files. I searched for some more info and in russian community I found some more complaints on this problem, so .ini files are just uneditable now and I can't change things like resolution/framerate etc cuz there are no proper tools in Settings menu. Moreover, I'm still not sure if it's even allowed to edit any ini files, cuz there is still a lot of discussion on it. Nevertheless, thank you.

    You have to set the files to "read-only" on your computer. Otherwise, DBD will reset the files to default everytime you start the game.

    It's similar to setting stretch-res except you're doing it with a 2560x1440 resolution instead of a ipad 1080x1080. And you need to change the steam launch settings. There's a bunch of tutorials on youtube on how to get stretch. Just use 2560x1440 instead of whatever res they tell you in those tutorials.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    This is an interesting one. For survivor I could see supporting 32:9, since that extra width isn't that much of an advantage, but for killer essentially doubling your horizontal FOV would be a massive advantage.

    At the very least they should add letterboxes and let you play in proper 16:9 if you're on a widescreen monitor, though. Zooming into the normal 16:9 image is just hurting anyone with a widescreen monitor.

    Well, I deffinetely can't say it wouldn't give any advantage to survivors/killers, however (Super) UltraWide community is still not that big, plus almost every competitive game (CS:GO, apex, pubg etc) supports that 21/32:9. If devs want to show that much attention to keeping everything balanced and "competitive", they could just add an option to play in 16:9 with black bars without changing game's files. Moreover, as far as I know, there is a problem now in changing .ini files, I don't have an option to change aspect ratio or resolution in game, so it basically becomes unplayable as you can see on these screenshots.