Spirit WITHOUT Stridor?

So I’ll be honest, I’ve only ever played as Spirit around 5 times as I just wasn’t a fan of her gameplay. It just didn’t feel engaging or fun to me and if I’m not having fun, what’s the point?

I see a lot of people say that she doesn’t take skill and you just need headphones, but when I was playing as her I was using headphones and I really struggled against people using Iron Will. If they just stopped running when I phased and walked, it purely became a guessing game for me as to which direction they went. I know you can sometimes hear grass moving but depending on the map, survivors with Iron Will can be silent during a chase.

Is this why so many Spirit players use Stridor or was I just inexperienced and needed more practise? Like I said, I’ve not played her a lot so maybe I just wasn’t good yet lol. From where I was sat, it didn’t feel that easy to successfully land post-phase hits when the survivors knew to stop running to hide scratch marks.

So is she actually a killer that takes skill to master when you’re NOT using Stridor or do I just need to play her more to get the hang of her? Also to clarify, I didn’t struggle against survivors who weren’t running Iron Will. I found them easy to locate / down whilst phasing.

Interested to see the responses. 😏

Comments

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2165489#Comment_2165489

    "Its almost like she gets counter-play. who woulda gussed?"

    She already has tons of counter play if they understand how she works.

    "See, truly strong killers do not have hard counter-play."

    They do have hard counter play.

    "They just look at you and you die. That is what true power and control looks like. Its why survivors complain about her."

    They complain because they're bad and just make excuses instead of taking responsibility. There's lack of accountability.

    "It is why looping a spirit is so much more skillful than any of the others killers."

    I agree.

    "Its winning when the odds are stacked against you. Its very impressive."

    I don't think it's stacked against them. It does show a high skill level to know how to juke Spirit though.

    I think you were missing my point. what i meant was that spirit without stridor can consistently be juked wiith Iron will by skilled survivors making it a hard counter to her. The truly strong killers can can overcome their pitfalls(drawbacks), in her case the lack of vision to reap the rewards of 180 m/s-220 m/s phase walk. Stridor removes hard counter towards her and makes it a soft counter making her a powerful killer. survivors don't like this full access of control and power and therefore complain she is "too strong".

    I don't think agree with your last statement. The odds are stacked against the survivor against a strong spirit player with strong add-ons which is how killers should be. Its why scottjund at one point requests anyone to 1vs1 the his spirit to see how long they could last in a chase. the result would be obvious that the chase wouldn't last very long. With most of the other killers, their chases can last very long depending the pallets/resources used because the fundamentals of looping and loop design hard counter them in a chase. With spirit, they do not. This is why its impressive to escape a strong spirit player with good add-ons as opposed to other killers that consistently get destroyed with minimal effort with their best add-ons(if they have any).

    Moral of the story. use Stridor on Spirit, it makes her good.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    There's a bit that goes into healthy tracking and Iron Will tracking.

    You can still hear survivor breathing, but it has a hard cutoff at 8 meters if they're healthy and not running. The quality of your headphones will go a long way in this regard. There are also tweaks you can make with spatial sound and equalizers depending on how far you want to take it.

    Then there's the actual technique aspect of it. Spirit is a killer who sometimes has to go slow to go fast. Healthy survivors and Iron Will users often make a series of moves to try and juke you. Spirit can simply stand and watch the first juke and then begin her phase. I like to also trigger her idle animation reset at this point because a very small portion of survivors know to look for it. Just tap M2 and immediately let it go, then phase once your power is back.

    During the phase, I like to kind of stutter step instead of going full blast in any one direction. Because breathing is intermittent, you can blow right past a survivor between breaths and not know it. If they didn't leave scratch marks, they didn't go far.

    Pay very close attention to any visual indicators. Grass, corn, dust on pallets, crows, etc.

    Spirit takes a lot more skill against good players than people give her credit for. It takes time to develop your phasing techniques and learn the audio queues and subtleties.

    You cannot hear survivors breathing who have iron will and are injured. It has been bugged for like years now, but they make literally 0 noise if they have iron will.

  • I don't have stridor for spirit but all 4 SWF had iron will so I ended up ragequitting because I couldn't get anyone.


    SWF wins again

  • This content has been removed.
  • @Devil_hit11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2165567#Comment_2165567

    I think you were missing my point. what i meant was that spirit without stridor can consistently be juked wiith Iron will by skilled survivors making it a hard counter to her. The truly strong killers can can overcome their pitfalls(drawbacks), in her case the lack of vision to reap the rewards of 180 m/s-220 m/s phase walk. Stridor removes hard counter towards her and makes it a soft counter making her a powerful killer. survivors don't like this full access of control and power and therefore complain she is "too strong".

    I don't think agree with your last statement. The odds are stacked against the survivor against a strong spirit player with strong add-ons which is how killers should be. Its why scottjund at one point requests anyone to 1vs1 the his spirit to see how long they could last in a chase. the result would be obvious that the chase wouldn't last very long. With most of the other killers, their chases can last very long depending the pallets/resources used because the fundamentals of looping and loop design hard counter them in a chase. With spirit, they do not. This is why its impressive to escape a strong spirit player with good add-ons as opposed to other killers that consistently get destroyed with minimal effort with their best add-ons(if they have any).

    Moral of the story. use Stridor on Spirit, it makes her good.

    "I think you were missing my point. what i meant was that spirit without stridor can consistently be juked wiith Iron will by skilled survivors making it a hard counter to her. The truly strong killers can can overcome their pitfalls(drawbacks), in her case the lack of vision to reap the rewards of 180 m/s-220 m/s phase walk. Stridor removes hard counter towards her and makes it a soft counter making her a powerful killer. survivors don't like this full access of control and power and therefore complain she is "too strong"."

    I see what you're saying, I agree.

    "I don't think agree with your last statement. The odds are stacked against the survivor against a strong spirit player with strong add-ons which is how killers should be. Its why scottjund at one point requests anyone to 1vs1 the his spirit to see how long they could last in a chase. the result would be obvious that the chase wouldn't last very long. With most of the other killers, their chases can last very long depending the pallets/resources used because the fundamentals of looping and loop design hard counter them in a chase. With spirit, they do not. This is why its impressive to escape a strong spirit player with good add-ons as opposed to other killers that consistently get destroyed with minimal effort with their best add-ons(if they have any)."

    I disagree here about Spirit specifically. Spirit against a good group of survivors is nearly a fair a match, I'd even call it slightly in the survivors favor. That's even assuming no items so it could tilt in their favor even further. Scotts example isn't exactly a fair one. You can 1v1 decently fast with Spirit but good survivors will still generally come out on top simply through objective time disparities. We don't judge this game through a 1v1, we judge it through a 1v4. It's impressive to escape a strong Spirit because most survivor matches are against potatoes but that's not how we judge strength.

    I agree about the issues with the other weaker killers though.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2166493#Comment_2166493

    "I think you were missing my point. what i meant was that spirit without stridor can consistently be juked wiith Iron will by skilled survivors making it a hard counter to her. The truly strong killers can can overcome their pitfalls(drawbacks), in her case the lack of vision to reap the rewards of 180 m/s-220 m/s phase walk. Stridor removes hard counter towards her and makes it a soft counter making her a powerful killer. survivors don't like this full access of control and power and therefore complain she is "too strong"."

    I see what you're saying, I agree.

    "I don't think agree with your last statement. The odds are stacked against the survivor against a strong spirit player with strong add-ons which is how killers should be. Its why scottjund at one point requests anyone to 1vs1 the his spirit to see how long they could last in a chase. the result would be obvious that the chase wouldn't last very long. With most of the other killers, their chases can last very long depending the pallets/resources used because the fundamentals of looping and loop design hard counter them in a chase. With spirit, they do not. This is why its impressive to escape a strong spirit player with good add-ons as opposed to other killers that consistently get destroyed with minimal effort with their best add-ons(if they have any)."

    I disagree here about Spirit specifically. Spirit against a good group of survivors is nearly a fair a match, I'd even call it slightly in the survivors favor. That's even assuming no items so it could tilt in their favor even further. Scotts example isn't exactly a fair one. You can 1v1 decently fast with Spirit but good survivors will still generally come out on top simply through objective time disparities. We don't judge this game through a 1v1, we judge it through a 1v4. It's impressive to escape a strong Spirit because most survivor matches are against potatoes but that's not how we judge strength.

    I agree about the issues with the other weaker killers though.

    "I disagree here about Spirit specifically. Spirit against a good group of survivors is nearly a fair a match"

    I find it slightly killer favored at least my play style with her. Most of the time, Spirit can completely kill a survivor within the duration of corrupt intervention. her unrivaled 1vs1 potential allowed her to effectively tunnel anyone out of the game very quickly. Due to her speed, she doesn't care about decisive strike as the distance that survivor would get from a stun is easily made up by her phase walk(with best add-ons). Now a days, survivors run Decisive Strike a lot less, so often you do not even get hit by it. I think the reason why scott said that was purely because he doesn't consider the game as 1vs4, rather he considers it more of 1vs1vs1vs1vs1. For the most part, if a killer is good at 1vs1, they end up having good 4vs1 as they can easily turn the match into 1vs3 very quickly. As fast objective time is, its pretty hard for spirit to lose if her phase walks are on point.

    With weaker killers, they need to play around the perks, play around with many of the free time waste loops, do a lot of split pressure and micro management vs strong teams and still barely get a 6 hooks vs strong team even when playing near perfectly as humanly possible assuming a possible to win map while also fighting against their own power with these new drawbacks they keep inventing every patch. Spirit is like a breath of fresh air at this point.

1 2 ›