Creating a more fleshed out in game economy for dbd.

So dbd currently has an economy which is the blood web where you exchange bloodpoints for items. But what if there was a new trading system where players could trade in items, addons and offerings in exchange for other items, addons and offerings?

So to make this happen I think using supply and demand laws would be called for where the less you have of an item say 4 toolboxes the hire your chances of finding them in the new market would be but if you had 100 keys the chances would be very low.

Based the on the rarity of the item the number and rarity of the item you get in exchange is also determined.

Brown items-1-2 slots only 1 item can be purchased and all items are brown

Yellow-2-3 slots can only consume 1 item all items are brown-yellow.

Green-3-4 can buy up to 2 slots all items are brown-green.

Purple-4-5 can buy 3 items all items are yellow-purple.

Red-5-6 can consume either all items are green-red.

To balance it out it will also reduce your chances of getting 6 red items if you already own a lot of red items. Once you purchase an item the item you ''sold'' is consumed.

Here's a basic layout:

Green toolbox: trade with :yellow medkit

:green flashlight

:yellow toolbox.

So there's my proposal for a market system in dbd, there's obviously some stuff to work out but this is a basic sketch if I continue working on it I'll make a more detailed concept.

Comments

  • Unfortunately, what happens with infinite supplies of money and ergo, resources, in any market is that hyperinflation happens really, really quickly. And with hyperinflation comes either really bad wage disparity, or if the prices remain fixed, everything becomes so abundant that items lose any semblance of rarity. You could have literally 1 billion flashlights, which defeats the purpose of rarity.

    Plus, if we allowed exchange, you know that we'd be getting Nigerian princes asking for 200 flashlights to help reclaim their inheritance.

  • @ShamelessPigMain said:

    Unfortunately, what happens with infinite supplies of money and ergo, resources, in any market is that hyperinflation happens really, really quickly. And with hyperinflation comes either really bad wage disparity, or if the prices remain fixed, everything becomes so abundant that items lose any semblance of rarity. You could have literally 1 billion flashlights, which defeats the purpose of rarity.

    Plus, if we allowed exchange, you know that we'd be getting Nigerian princes asking for 200 flashlights to help reclaim their inheritance.

    Ah thanks for the feedback I didn't really account for inflation, but yeah since this is a market, like any other market, inflation will occur, you could put in a system to fix this although I'm not sure what it would be. I'm still working on it and researching real word micro-economics and would like to spend more time on this project, so thanks for the feedback again.

  • @scarcleyjumpy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2143019#Comment_2143019

    Ah thanks for the feedback I didn't really account for inflation, but yeah since this is a market, like any other market, inflation will occur, you could put in a system to fix this although I'm not sure what it would be. I'm still working on it and researching real word micro-economics and would like to spend more time on this project, so thanks for the feedback again.

    Believe me, I'd love to get rid of all of my useless add-ons and offerings too, but a market is pretty unlikely. Not only is demand always going to be down for those certain add-ons, which will prevent those from being auctioned properly, but demand for the more coveted add-ons with a fixed bloodpoint price tag would possibly have people resorting to secondary, unauthorized currencies. Not to mention that BHVR doesn't want to give up the bloodweb's monopoly on iridescent heads.

  • @ShamelessPigMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2143094#Comment_2143094

    Believe me, I'd love to get rid of all of my useless add-ons and offerings too, but a market is pretty unlikely. Not only is demand always going to be down for those certain add-ons, which will prevent those from being auctioned properly, but demand for the more coveted add-ons with a fixed bloodpoint price tag would possibly have people resorting to secondary, unauthorized currencies. Not to mention that BHVR doesn't want to give up the bloodweb's monopoly on iridescent heads.

    I definitely agree with you that it has problems and yeah it's pretty unlikely it will ever be added as they rarely take suggestions, I guess it's more just something to think about.