Trickster is still in need of serious buffs
As he stands, he's no longer the worst killer in the game but against good survivors, you might as well admit defeat. I want trickster to be a good killer. Right now, he's just okay.
1. Make him 115%. This is non negotiable at this point. While trickster is a ranged killer like Huntress or Deathslinger, he doesn't down/injured in 1 hit with his special attack and requires 8 full knives which are can be easily dodged if you know how to loop. Plus, it will give him better map pressure and not be looped to oblivion.
2. Reduce the amount of knives it takes to damage from 8 to 7 but not making USB base kit whilebkeeping it an addon that still reduces amount of blades to damage someone by one. How many times have you been one knife away from damaging someone but can never hit a follow up and the chase goes on longer than it should've? It happens far more often than you think. This is why the USB is his best addon. It makes his power more reliable and this change will only make it better.
3. Be able to activate main event whenever you want. Another non negotiable buff that needs to happen. It comes up at the most inopportune times and rarely works when you do use it. Giving us the choice to hold onto main event and activate when we feel appropriate will lend to better gameplay and strategy planning.
4. Make Shatter blades base kit. While others say ricochet should be base kit, I strongly disagree because with shatter blades, you can get those pesky survivors hiding behind corners and force them out once they see they're still taking damage and thus, exposing themselves to full damage blades. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.
5. Trick blades restored to their former glory. Blades no longer shatter, bounce once and deal double laceration. I have no clue why they nerfed this. If they didn't, it would be his best addon next to USB. It's pretty useless now and used solely for style points.
6. Being hit with blades interrupts certain actions like the Doctors Shock such as gen repair, opening exit gates, and hook saves but not vaulting or throwing down a pallet.
So yeah, let's make trickster something to be feared! Not all these changes need to happen but just 2 or 3 will help him greatly.
Comments
His 1v1 potential is kinda insane. Sure it takes time to down someone but you’re guaranteed a down in an okay amount of time due to how many blades he has.
Honestly, out of all the things you listed, I think he only needs some more movespeed and to be able to hold onto Main Event. But I kinda understand why it fades away. How easily would it be to camp hooks and turn even safe unhooks into two downs, if you had it all the time?
He only needs 3 changes
I respect your opinion, but I feel that making him 115% is not the correct way to adjust Trickster. Yes, he is weaker around specific loops, but he has the same issue that Huntress and Deathslinger have in this regard. Neither can get easy downs at certain taller tiles, as these tiles are supposed to be the counter for ranged killers and to make the Trickster 115% would cause him to be uncounterable.
One main change I think he needs is to have one ricochet as part of his base kit (this will give skilled players a little more counterplay around certain taller loops). Additionally, it would be nice for his main event to receive an adjustment to make it a little more viable (either increase the duration players have to activate the main event or allow players to store it once they build it up). However, despite my thoughts, I don't think he is in a bad spot at all right now, so any changes he gets should come in smaller increments to avoid making him too oppressive.
Doc does that but more consistently at more loops and he also has info, slight slowdown and can swap targets freely instead of being forced to commit to one person. Even if you takehis 1v1 which is the only thing he has going for him Doc just does a better job and has things other than the 1v1. The 1v1 doesnt really matter in a 1v4 game. I have been playing a fair bit of trickster and like yeah every chase doesn't take that long but slinger/huntress/doc/ph all could have gotten it faster and as trickster you get downs sure but you then have less mobility than a trapper to get to gens and I genuinely have had situations where if I was a 115 I would have gotten to the gen in time. Literally I turn the corner and the gen pops if I was just slightly faster I would have gotten there in time. I like trickster and he is fun to play but aside from it being fun to just go pewpewpew at people there is nothing that makes him a better choice than other killers. Literally everything trickster does there is someone else who does it better except for 1 thing and that is his TR is 24m and quite af. Honestly its like he has basekit monitor it is so quite for the first bit.
Cough cough Pyramid Head Cough Cough
1. I'm unsure of. You would have to test it out to see if it would be overwhelming.
2. Same as 1. I'm not opposed to it but again further testing would help determine if it's good or overwhelming.
3. I think I would be fine with
4. Hard no. All it would do is create a lose lose scenario for the survivor and buff his chase way too much. It also lower his skill as it would take no skill to use. At least with the ricochet addon it made it more skill based.
5. I don't think I'm opposed to it.
6. No again. Imagine trying to valut a window and you couldn't because you got hit with a blade. It would be a quick insta down afterwards since they wouldn't be able to get away in time.
Overall your suggestions are decent but some I'm really opposed to.
It’s also a skill thing. I’d argue trickster doesn’t require much skill since he has 60 blades and hitting them isn’t that difficult.
At least doctor requires good timing and doctor can’t injure over objects and windows
I dunno about the PTB but the spread he got when release is just stupid AF. Also it's like Deathsligner where his projectiles are needle size so moving your character slightly left to right will make him miss so many knifes.
I have played both a fair bit and I think trickster is probably more skillful. His recoil is hard to get used to and compensate for and you have to be pretty precise with his blades. Doc does need timing but you will get by if you just mindlessly shock every time they get to the pallets and if the Doc isn't using the interview tape then its nigh impossible to dodge the shock if the doc aim even in the same direction as you. Doc can't injured over obstacle but neither can trickster on certain maps.
I like trickster but I definetly think he needs some tweaks and honestly my 2 favourite is complete removal of the recoil and either -1 knife to down or making decay much much harder. That way with no recoil he rewards good tracking of survivors and honestly the -1 knife is just cause of how much better he feels with USB for some reason a lot of loops I land exactly 7 knives so when I dont run USB I find a lot of red circle then dropping a safe pallet then having to build it up agian cause of the decay. Honestly I would be just as fine if they instead made it so knives flat out dont decay until the trickster deals a healthstate, I know some people want no decay but I feel BHVR are scared to do that. This eliminates the far too common situation of getting a survivor 1 knife from downing then they drop shack or a main building pallet or literally anything on gideon and they lose a lot of their knives.
Personally I would be more than fine if knives were permanent unless survivors did some animation and it would solve the kinda tunneling strat that you are forced into as trickster. Honestly one of the biggest counters to him is just taking hits. If he m1s he loses 4 knives progress on everyone and just bodyblocking his knives for you're teammate means their knives will decay and all the effort the trickster put into downing them is just nullified. Like I get why they want decay so its not some situation where all 4 survivors could be hit by just 1 knife and get downed but at the same time so can Ghost Face.
Tricksters biggest issue imo is the pseudo tunnel he is forced into doing, its annoying to me when facing trickster and especially annoying when playing him. Often there is someone 1 knife away from a down and their teammate come to block a doorway. Either you just blast him down gain so charge for the useless main event or you swap to melee with the new time that feels like it takes years and just m1. Neither are appealing at all as if you just put knives into him it takes much longer and you waste 8 knives but if you m1 the other person loses 4 knives of their counter. Sometimes I will be chasing someone who is 1 or 2 knives to down and see the easiest free hit on a dweet doing a dull totem but I can take it as I would lose my progress on the other guy.
There shouldn't be a decay with knives, instead there should be an animation like mending to remove them as survivor.
When does good huntress player ever miss all 5(8) hatchets and not get a down? All the killers will get down eventually if they chase long enough, often from bloodlust. His 1vs1 is average at best.
His issues is that wallblocker loops LOS him too hard and he does not get enough time to inflict health states because his throwing mode is still too slow m/s to be used in those loops. laceration mechanic is still just free anti hemorrhagic syringe for any survivor that he abandon chase/escapes the chase, so no split pressure and his main event still cannot be activated on command like Oni.
This argument can be made for any killer with an instant down. Oni, ghost face, Myers, Leatherface can all instant down at hooks more reliably than Trickster at hooks
The only change I want to see with Main Event is to let the knives ricochet endlessly while it is running. If they don't want people to save when to use it, make using it more useful.
He still needs buffs but your suggestions are not that good i feel.
Right now you can catch someone offguard. Chuck knives at them untill they are injured and keep chucking while they run away.
It's really not uncommon to hit 3-5 blades while they run away so reducing the number of knives required is a dangerous change to make.
Making it so he can activate main event whenever is also iffy as while it is situational. Getting it in certain situations is really strong. If you can activate it whenever Trickster would very much become a killer that you don't save people in the basement from
The only change he needs is for single tap blades to do double damage OR that holding out your blades while not throwing doesn't slow you down anymore.
Just so at loops where you can only hit one blade each cycle doesn't take forever.
I want trickster buffs too. The problem is that he's actually really strong outside of this one debilitating weakness so he is very dangerous to be overbuffed.
I don't want him to become a killer where people just leave the second they see it's him.
At this point, I'd be happy if Laceration decay was removed, but Lacerations were removed when injured or healed.
One ricochet as basekit would be a cool unique mechanic, though it wouldn't really buff him that much. With Laceration decay out the window, he could make set ups and pay offs, which would negate needing to buff his knife damage.
Other than that, the standard bit about making Main Event like Onis power in that it can be stored, and remove the mindless automatic throwing it does. Let him move at full speed while not throwing AND while aiming in Main Event, and have his movement penalty while throwing only slight so the ability feels appropriately threatening.
Even if Main Event never gets touched and is permanently relegated to the dust bin, the Laceration change would drastically improve his capability to make plays, snowball, use strategy, and give him flexibility to break off and go after different targets rather than feel forced to pick a target and tunnel them down.
Not at all. Ghostface and Myers cannot instadown two people at the same time. Oni would have to be really accurate with the use of his power AND, if they had BT, one would get away. Same with Leatherface, although it can be fairly easier to instadown someone with BT with him. But Trickster? He does not stop. People would go down and he would still be there, throwing blades and moving. So no, this argument is invalid for any other killer.
By the way, it's a thing that can be done with him, but camping hooks is bad. Don't do this at home, kids.
Trickster definitely needs some more changes to give us any reason to pick him over Huntress or Deathslinger. I just hope the devs don't forget about him just for him to rot away like Blight for half a year until they finally get back to the project.