Will anything be done about VPN abuse?
This is a pretty serious issue that seems to keep getting whitewashed on the forums: VPN abuse.
I play on US servers, more specifically US East. I just got out of a match with a 3-man swf who was Playing over in the EU. I know this because he is a French streamer on twitch (the downside to advertising lol), I have his name saved in the event a moderator or admin requires is from me but I will not be revealing it here, out in the open (obviously).
To the point, this streamers ping was between 150-300 and his two companions had pings ranging from 200-500+ and 250-600+. YES, this did negatively affect my ability to play the game. I managed a 4k with trickster but that has more to do with them being mushy potatoes who were probably looking for a way to rig matches in their favor by abusing ping.
My question is this: do the devs intend to acquire servers that are capable of synching and hosting international play or are they going to take steps against players using third party software to cheat by way of flagrant ping abuse?
Comments
Prolly neither imo.
high ping favors killer though so they're obviously not doing it for advantage
VPN is really only a problem if it's the killer player doing it.
IN fact if they're playing survivor they don't even need a VPN, they can just join match with a friend in NA, obviously killer players cant do this but like I said it's really only a problem with the killer. Additionally there is networking software out there that can be used to inflate your ping without even needing to connect to a far away server. I won't say even though it's nothing obscure, just in case it breaks the forum rules somehow.
Ping only favors killer when calculating hits, as far as i'm aware, however inducing massive lag into a match tends to benefit survivors because it becomes neigh impossible to hit or time hits with frequent lag spikes either not receiving killer input (attacks) or receiving them late. this benefits anyone who's holding #########+w and mashing the space bar far more than the player who needs to push M1 at a precise time. So on that note it doesn't really matter if the hit detection favors the killer when the game registers the attack well after there is anything to hit. at the same time I have also encountered killers who have used forms of ping abuse to nail some wonky and highly questionable hits; which is why survivors should be allowed to see the killer's ping as well. That said I've seen far more survivors and survivor groups employing ping abuse than I have killers, in fact it's so common I tend to expect it from survivors and frequently check the ping in match because of this. Let's be honest here, since the use of dedicated servers, survivor mains are the most likely to engage in some form of cheating or foul play; be it hacking, "stretch screen", or ping abuse and when that fails to give them an undue advantage they resort to bitching to the devs to nerf every killer because they don't want to L2P or use more than one strategy for dealing with killers.