I feel like many killers are half-done, also staleness
Let's start off with Clown for example. All he has are bottles which can be useful, but no part of his power specifically helps him with map pressure. He has the chase part down, but it is weak and he has nothing else. Other killers don't have this problem, or have a similar one.
For example, Hillbilly has his chainsaw. He can hook a survivor and gun it down to another part of the map. He has chasing potential and a form of mobility i.e an ability that helps him with map pressure. Great design, an ability that has a high skill cap and high reward (curving). His ability is unique and doubles as map pressure and lethality in a chase. With Clown if you make an amazing play with a perfect bottle toss, all you will get is a hit on a healthy survivor.
Blight has a mix of both as well, mobility and chase potential. His rushes can be used to punish survivors running tiles the wrong way or even get hits on super unsafe pallets, but mainly hit survivors trying to switch tiles.
What about Deathslinger? He has a strong 1v1, but no ability that helps him with map pressure. His mending that he inflicts on survivors before switching targets I guess could count, but it is very weak even with the addons. You might say his strong 1v1 makes up for it, but that is not enough and is weak against survivors who use walls to their advantage.
Then you have Spirit and nurse. The spirit and nurse have no mobility (i.e no ability that is specifically made to help them with map pressure), but have the strongest 1v1's in the game. The problem is that there really is no counter for either and if you are up against godlike players then there is just nothing you can do, and it isn't very fun. (I also would rather not get into another argument of why spirit has counterplay please).
I think that killers should have an ability that is good in a chase, has a decently high skill cap, and some other part of their power that helps them in terms of map pressure. However, it is important to make them unique. The twins are an excellent example of unique ways to pressure survivors, but of course we all know how well that turned out... The point is, the twins' ability was a start to a very cool experience and way to pressure survivors without being speedy or having map mobility and it may not have been polished (at all) before coming to the live servers, but it is still a great example of how map pressure could work like instead.
I think what is holding the game back from seeing many new types of killers and their power in terms of map pressure is BHVR's unwillingness to expand the base game. They are trying new killer themes (take this All Kill chapter for example) which is great and I think that while the gameplay part sucks, the aesthetic of it is really cool. I honestly think they have a good reason to as well. I mean, to start to be able to add new mechanics, game modes, and other things into the game, they have to fix the core issues with it. Map design, killer powers being too weak or unfun, strength of perks, etc all the main problems we already know are an issue. Literally, anything they do could break the game, but because that has happened already so many times, they don't really do anything about it.
It would be cool if survivors and killers had something like a secondary objective, or if they had some sort of new mechanic, what about new items, or reworks for the weaker killers that made them really strong?
The base game is just too simple and boring for many players now. It is very repetitive and stale for many players after about 1000+ hours of playing. The breakable walls sounded interesting, but now they are pretty much pre-thrown pallets to waste the killer's already precious time, overall poor design. They were the last new mechanic added to the game unless you count the red glyphs (not sure what BHVR is going to do with them).
The game has honestly been VERY stale for months now, ever since Blight's chapter. I think it is because there has been no new map, and the new maps were great because it let everyone experience just something new. It was the only new content (besides a weak killer and decent perks)
But now we have to wait for BHVR to finish the graphical updates, which makes everyone's frames drop like crazy but hey, cool graphics right guys? I am upset that they destroyed the most balanced map in the game as well, the clown's map.
Literally, the only thing keeping this game alive is the fact that it is the only one of its kind that is successful, and the only one of its kind that is fun (for new players at least). I would like new content and balances, not more nerfs to Trickster.
Comments
I fixed these issues by buying every Killer to mix things up by maining them all, buying the highest end device I could run the game on so no frame drops or issues and if the game feels stale I play something else for a day or two.