Closing the Hatch

I know a lot of you are upset about lack of DS nerf, lack of Freddy rework, lack of rank rewards, lack of punishment for DCs...

But hatch standoffs are such a blatantly terrible gameplay mechanic that's been in the game since release. Well over 2 years.

I don't understand the hold up. If the killer finds the hatch before the survivor, let him kick it closed. It doesn't have to be perfect. Too killer sided? Patch it later and let the survivor re-open the hatch at about the same speed they can open a gate or something. Too survivor sided? Patch it later and add some other element to it in the killer's favor.

Leaving it in it's current state for a 3rd year doesn't seem to be the solution either way.

Comments

  • Just smack them into the damn thing or just let them have it. Same goes for people waiting to tea bag at the exit gate. Give them an ass slap so they leave.

    Ffs you guys complain about something you have control over ending. Get them the ######### out and move on to the next game.
  • Agreed. Any attempt at a change is better then leaving it in it's current broken state. 
  • @Oblitiry said:
    Just smack them into the damn thing or just let them have it. Same goes for people waiting to tea bag at the exit gate. Give them an ass slap so they leave.

    Ffs you guys complain about something you have control over ending. Get them the [BAD WORD] out and move on to the next game.

    Yes, I'm well aware I can just hit them and move on to the next game. I can also DC every time the survivors spawn on top of my totem. I can derank endlessly to go smack up rank 15s. I can run a 4 man SWF all with 4 crutch "get out of jail for free" perks over voice coms. I can stare endlessly into the void or give the last survivor a free escape even though I so clearly outplayed him and his entire team while he just sat in a corner waiting for the hatch to open.

    Does not make it any less of a bull ######### mechanic.

  • Slug victim 3, slug victim 4, hook them both in quick order, probably starting with the one closest to the hatch?

  • I'd prefer not to have to slug someone in order to get a fair chance at the 4th kill. Not fun for either side. At least letting the killer close it would make it more like a race to find it instead of what it is now. 
  • Why should you be able to close hatch?
  • Lol. I love seeing complaints about hatch standoffs. The 20 minutes you waited would've been a full match, or possibly two, to get BP + pips. Instead you are willing to stand there twiddling your thumbs to deny someone a couple K BP and maybe get a chance at a double pip. Ridiculous investment for minimal gain. Hit em and move on.

    I do wish they'd implement closing the hatch and requiring another generator to be popped before it reopens. Or else the Survivor needs to do a couple "hard" skillchecks to reopen it. It grates to give someone a "free" escape, but I'd much rather go on to the next match since I've already won this one.

  • I'd prefer not to have to slug someone in order to get a fair chance at the 4th kill. Not fun for either side. At least letting the killer close it would make it more like a race to find it instead of what it is now. 
    Well the answer isn't changing the rules because you don't like how the other person won via legitimate tactics.

    Though with the new anti camping measures being tested...

    Anyhow, if you know they're at the hatch, go kill them. Or go find the hatch yourself so you can herd them away, or make them pay for staying near it. 

    If they're  buzzing near the hatch they aren't likely doing generators. 

    Just kinda spitballing.


  • I saw in a stream that you could close the hatch, but both doors would open automatically. What ever happened to that?
  • @Rebel_Raven that was a PTB change that never made it to the full game. It was unfair according to the devs. 
  • @Rebel_Raven that was a PTB change that never made it to the full game. It was unfair according to the devs. 
    Yeah, i guess slamming the hatch at a standoff, then forcing one last chase might be a bit much.
  • Honestly I don't think that the hatch should be able to be closed. I think a better solution might be for it not to open as soon as the third survivor dies and that creates a separate end game where the survivor has to survive a certain amount of time while the killer has some sort of passive tracking that leads them to the survivors location similar to whispers so they can't just hide in a random locker or a dark corner of the map. And then remove the grab when they get in the hatch. They could still complete a gen to open it up immediately. 

    It probably won't be a popular opinion, but I realised that it doesn't create a very fun or interactive environment with either the current mechanic or closing the hatch. The way it is now, is significantly in the survivors favour, while closing the hatch is significantly in the killers favour. (The killer is much more likely to find the hatch first due to both they move faster at base, and don't need to hide)

    I used to think that the solution should be, close the hatch with two ways for survivors to open it back up being, finish a gen or interact with the hatch but that is problematic. If the hatch instead doesn't open immediately, and the killer is given a way to zero in to where the survivors is hiding without it completely giving their exact location away, it will create a cat and mouse style gameplay with the survivor never being able to truly escape the killer while also making it so it isn't impossible to not be found when played right. And if they manage to evade the killer long enough for the hatch to open they earn their escape. It still gives the survivor to earn it by other means, if they get a gen done. (Giving the survivor a boost to repair speed when last alive as well) it probably won't be popular but I think that will be more fun whether I play killer or survivor, tremendously more so than the current state of the last alive, and the popular solutions floating around.
  • Forcing the last survivor to survive longer than they have to now is sort of crazy, playing some as a survivor. I like being a killer, too, mind you.

    It's balancing the game around sprint boost, it seems like.
    Not everyone is running sprint boost. Personally i don't like having to slow go everywhere, and prefer lithe as i have more control on when it pops.

    Not everyone is an expert runner/juker/looper.
    Especially in lower levels. 
    Surviving being essentially tunneled is going to be really hard for slower survivors. 

    More over  I've seen doctors pull off the stunt where they track the last survivor across the map directly with no perks or addons that aid in hunting. I don't know how they do it. 3rd person dies, and they're on the 4th almost instantly. No screams, nothing.

    As killers, we have tactics to stop hatch plays. Maybe even tools.
    It might be seen as dirty, but we are bad guys. It doesn't mean we are a bad guy.
    We don't play to arbitrary survivor rules, or we shouldn't. 
    Slug, treat the hatch like a secret generator and defend it, or some such.

    Survivors have to have a shot as much as killers do. Closing all their doors of opportunity is as bad as them closing them on killers.
  • Fine, have the hatch close. Then survivor gets the opportunity to only do one generator thats half way done. Pretty fair. Considering they have to now run to a door and open it.