Why having a variety of killer and survivor themes isn't a bad idea
So, even though I dislike kpop, I don't really think that it's necessarily bad to have a kpop chapter, I'll explain. In dbd, the survivor characters are often designed to appeal to specific people, and they did say that they want people to feel represented in the game with the survivors, that's why they mentioned that they'll have an lgbt character in the future. In my opinion, kpop is already dark itself, so I do think it kinda matches the theme of the game. HOWEVER, I believe that it's a bit too flashy, both the colors of the knives and the killers clothing (for the second one, it's also that I don't like the color, ew).
Having new themes are fine, and the killer is actually pretty well designed. I don't think the survivor should be wearing an expensive outfit in a place of torture and death, but I digress.
What am I afraid of, is that dbd might go through the "kda problem". What I mean is sellout. For those who didn't know, league of legends once had a big event featuring songs, cosmetics and merch for a specific skin line. This year we got a second event, where a new character was released with a 25$ ultimate skin, which outraged one part of the community, because the design of the event was to get as much money as they could from kpop audiences, and it worked, twice. So what I'm afraid of is dbd going through the same hole, somehow. Although it's pretty difficult, it could work if you target a specific audience.
But, generally speaking, being open to other themes for chapters is a good thing. It's ok to have edgy teenagers once a year if we get a cowboy along the way. It's ok to get a wraith for a Myers. If part of the community feels reflected in the characters, then I'm fine with having a kpop chapter.
But if you try to sell me a 25$ cosmetic bhvr I'm going to grab his knives as a survivor and throw them to him instead
Comments
Did you really just suggest Wraith is lesser? Right in front of my salad? I'm appalled
The gall of some people smh
Well, I'm talking about character design based on specific themes not power, so yeah :/
I agree that people need to get off the high horse of "this new thing doesn't fit the theme of DBD". We crossed that line long ago. If you liked original DBD, of course it's not the same game as it once was, especially when it comes to new aesthetics. They started adding in more realistic buildings with Myers and Freddy's maps. Each new map feels distinct, sometimes including small but noticeable things like different hook designs.
They have come up with so many interesting original killers and licensed ones. I'm assuming the addition of Spirit's chapter is what got people first thinking that we were going to have an increasingly diverse killer and survivor cast. For me, who joined later (around Legion or Plague's release) it was Deathslinger that stood out with this cool new wild west theme. The fan suggestions have also been amazing with things like aliens, knights, monsters, etc.
So don't hate on other people's preferred themes because one day it'll be your new favorite killer from your favorite genre who's getting the hate. Chapter 19's style is not crazy out of place either. Have you seen the devs' strange but charming fashion sense with these survivor's cosmetics we've got over the years? Yui came from the same neon lit streets type city and nobody batted an eye at that.
Anyway, I'm trailing off. You get my point.
>:(