New HUD - Why do the survivor portraits have to be arranged vertically and not horizontally?

The gist I'm getting from checking the forums briefly is that most people feel the new WIP UI is an upgrade from the 4.5 version, but the vertical survivor portraits taking up much of the left-hand side of the screen still seems problematic

I might just be out of the loop but was there ever an explanation on why the portraits had to be vertical? If it was for added features later (like solo survivors being able to send simple preset messages), then I think everyone would potentially be more accepting of those changes if they knew specifically the rationale behind the layout and why it must be that way. As of right now, unless I'm missing something, it seems like there's no justifiable reason to have them vertical now where they will make things much harder to see, particularly for killer

Am I missing something?

Comments

  • vertical survivors is as strange as when perks were horizontal. if the bars for hook/Deep Wound weren't so tiny it would be at least tolerable

  • It was the only way to properly display usernames in all supported languages. That's the reason we got.

  • I have a feeling that the only reason they don't want to put the portraits back horizontally where they original were is because of the smoke effect that is behind clowns power now to tell you what bottle you have equipped, and they probably have ideas to do something similar with future killers, but I don't see why it's that important, it can just be moved or illustrated in a different way. I really hate this new HUD and while I agree that this new prototype is a big step up, they are literally one step away from re-creating the old HUD and I don't see why they can't.

  • @Mr_K said:

    It was the only way to properly display usernames in all supported languages. That's the reason we got.

    Thanks, I did miss that detail. That almost begs the question of why it's not possible to just use multiple lines if necessary to display the whole name. Either way, that's a shame if that's the only reason. Seems like most players would prefer the names to cut off rather than lose a sizeable portion of the screen to the HUD

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941514#Comment_1941514

    Eh, that might end up looking more jank than vertical portraits.

    I'd love if there was an option to choose between the two though. I don't know if that's feasible or not.

    True true. Seems like best case scenario would be having some options for HUD element layouts. Even if it's just 2 or 3 options, that would be better than 1

  • @Mr_K said:

    It was the only way to properly display usernames in all supported languages. That's the reason we got.

    I think I remember them hinting at that. Which is also puzzling that they'd think that servers any purpose and not they're breaking the HUD in order to display totally negligeable information 'correctly'. And by that I mean that nobody needs to read the full in name in the HUD. If you want to read the name for whatever purpose, the first portion is completely suffificient. You can alway ESC and go in match details for the full story.