Iridescent Stone

Hello everyone,

a little bit to myself, I'm rank 9 Survivor and rank 13 killer, 80ish hours playtime so actually pretty new to the game. I get my knowledge from Tru3Ta1ent mostly and also from, well, playing the game and from the wiki.

So I was playing against a Trapper a few games ago. At the beginning of our game one player disconnected, so it was kind of a struggle to begin with. He also happened to have Hex: Ruin on 3 and, as I and also the others were no masters of the skillcheck-arts we were trying to get the totem down.

As a trapper should he had trapped his totem and after noticing, that all of us 3 were trying to get the totem down he became kinda campy with it, sure as hell not a problem in my opinion, you can play the game like that for sure. So for 5 minutes we tried and tried to disarm the trap and then go for the totem, he kept coming back to it and stopping to chase us when he heard the trap being disarmed, but after a while we got to the point that I was able to get on the totem.

And now here comes (in my opinion) an issue: While I was finally, after an agonizing 5-10 minutes almost done cleansing the totem, the trap under me armed itself and snapped on me and that was kinda it. He had already hooked me once and the other two people had also been hooked, so he got me from the tomtem hooked me up and we kinda lost the game from there. 5 gens up and the totem still up.

As I mentioned above, there was nothing wrong with his playstyle, for what I know, I'm not a fan of camping, but if you feel the urge to do it, then go for it. But my main problem is the Iridescent Stone. It should NOT be able to re-arm traps directly underneath players. Ofc that was hella unlucky, considering the amount of traps on a map, but yet I don't think something like that should ever happen. It for sure ruined my experience, after having done all the tricks I had in my bag with the two randoms just to be killed off by some random trap arming, especially because the trap had been unarmed for like, maybe 20 seconds...

Just wanted to share my story and maybe get someone of the devs to look at the add-on.

Wermut

Comments

  • Why shouldn't it be able to snap under you?
    You're the one sitting on something dangerous after all.

  • Wermut said:

    Hello everyone,

    a little bit to myself, I'm rank 9 Survivor and rank 13 killer, 80ish hours playtime so actually pretty new to the game. I get my knowledge from Tru3Ta1ent mostly and also from, well, playing the game and from the wiki.

    So I was playing against a Trapper a few games ago. At the beginning of our game one player disconnected, so it was kind of a struggle to begin with. He also happened to have Hex: Ruin on 3 and, as I and also the others were no masters of the skillcheck-arts we were trying to get the totem down.

    As a trapper should he had trapped his totem and after noticing, that all of us 3 were trying to get the totem down he became kinda campy with it, sure as hell not a problem in my opinion, you can play the game like that for sure. So for 5 minutes we tried and tried to disarm the trap and then go for the totem, he kept coming back to it and stopping to chase us when he heard the trap being disarmed, but after a while we got to the point that I was able to get on the totem.

    And now here comes (in my opinion) an issue: While I was finally, after an agonizing 5-10 minutes almost done cleansing the totem, the trap under me armed itself and snapped on me and that was kinda it. He had already hooked me once and the other two people had also been hooked, so he got me from the tomtem hooked me up and we kinda lost the game from there. 5 gens up and the totem still up.

    As I mentioned above, there was nothing wrong with his playstyle, for what I know, I'm not a fan of camping, but if you feel the urge to do it, then go for it. But my main problem is the Iridescent Stone. It should NOT be able to re-arm traps directly underneath players. Ofc that was hella unlucky, considering the amount of traps on a map, but yet I don't think something like that should ever happen. It for sure ruined my experience, after having done all the tricks I had in my bag with the two randoms just to be killed off by some random trap arming, especially because the trap had been unarmed for like, maybe 20 seconds...

    Just wanted to share my story and maybe get someone of the devs to look at the add-on.

    Wermut

    Why would you stand over a trap for x amount of time, it gives a reason to fear the trap. Fear the trap! They said in the dev stream too that this could happen, so they are probably aware and was one of the points. It gives trapper his defense back. Also that is a noob mistake, or a non pro mistake. It was hex ruin right? Gen tapp, hit greats, or work through ruin. Since a killer was camping ya'll played horrible by letting the snowball happen. 
  • You're new so you're still learning, when you watch true and he snowballs with ruin up, the mistake is survivors just worry about it. He had a trapper swf game last night, gens popped with ruin still up. Best to ignore ruin and not look for it, look for it on your way to gens but don't go out of your way, teach others. If one looks, more willm and you're screwed. If killer is camping more time for gens
  • Survivors also shouldn't be rushing hooks, totems, exits, etc. All being visible leads to killer camping. Camping a totem is fine as no one gets hurt just keep tabs on the killer. 
  • So, @Boss what i mean is, that it should not be able to RE-ARM while you are standing on it, how is one supposed to counter a totem with a disarmed trap infront of it, if it just may pop under you at any time.

    @Dabrownman1812 yeah, i know he doesn't really look for ruin, but if I'm not yet able to hit skillchecks it's kinda a waste of time to sit on a gen, i literally tried for a minute without any progression, due to it resetting, every time i missed a greater check.

    And yeah, I know it's cuz I'm bad at hitting skillchecks, but there should still not be traps arming themselves, while you are literally on top of them :/

  • @Wermut said:
    So, @Boss what i mean is, that it should not be able to RE-ARM while you are standing on it, how is one supposed to counter a totem with a disarmed trap infront of it, if it just may pop under you at any time.

    I know what you meant.

    How are you supposed to?
    Disarm, then immediately start cleansing.
    All you gotta do beforehand is pick the right timing, like when the Killer picks up a Survivor.

  • Wermut said:

    So, @Boss what i mean is, that it should not be able to RE-ARM while you are standing on it, how is one supposed to counter a totem with a disarmed trap infront of it, if it just may pop under you at any time.

    @Dabrownman1812 yeah, i know he doesn't really look for ruin, but if I'm not yet able to hit skillchecks it's kinda a waste of time to sit on a gen, i literally tried for a minute without any progression, due to it resetting, every time i missed a greater check.

    And yeah, I know it's cuz I'm bad at hitting skillchecks, but there should still not be traps arming themselves, while you are literally on top of them :/

    It gives trapper his defense back. Work around it, if it becomes an issue than it might need to be looked at, what if the totem was devour hope? Yeh, some suck, tips on ruin
    -gen tap, 1,2 all survivors have a start motion in which they sit down and pull back to work on the gen, no skillcheck besides overcharge can occur until you character finished the animation, let go of repair immediately on the pull back and never have a ruin check active
    -if you don't want to do that, get up after you mess up a ruin check. No progress can be made while gen sparks and you're just increasing the chance of another ruin check. Start on gen again after it stops sparking. 
    -true some people aren't good at ruin skillcheck, but learn to deal because three people camping a totem is bad no matter what the totem is. It seems not worth it for ruin to not rush the totem, but that's what separate ranks before emblems made it easy. Work around ruin somehow, rank 8s back in the day know better than to get swept just to get ruin. Better to lose the battle and win the war.
  • @Boss but when the killer drops everything after he hears the trap disarm and comes back to check? I didn't start the work immideatly after I disarmed, cuz I was sure he would come back, like the 10 times before, but he didn't and then when i realized maybe 10 seconds later, that he ain't coming back, I got on the totem.. I just think the mechanic of the auto-arming traps should be tweaked a bit, imagine you running away from trapper, seeing an unarmed trap infront of you and then just suddenly the moment you run over it it arms itself... thats just stupid nothing else..

    @Dabrownman1812 well I guess ill just have to get better at the game huh.. It just feels like a really dumb mechanic. It's an ultra rare add-on i get it, its something really specific, but it seems like an add-on to let the killer chill and not worry too much about all the traps laying around the map, but it might just be fair to check, if there is a survivor literally on top of the trap, before re-arming it... Just my opinion tho, i know i still have a lot to learn.

  • @Wermut said:
    @Boss but when the killer drops everything after he hears the trap disarm and comes back to check? I didn't start the work immideatly after I disarmed, cuz I was sure he would come back, like the 10 times before, but he didn't and then when i realized maybe 10 seconds later, that he ain't coming back, I got on the totem.. I just think the mechanic of the auto-arming traps should be tweaked a bit, imagine you running away from trapper, seeing an unarmed trap infront of you and then just suddenly the moment you run over it it arms itself... thats just stupid nothing else..

    If they drop the Survivor and come for you, it's another win for all Survivors.
    That Survivor won't get hooked and can now easily be picked up by someone else, meaning the Trapper wasted their time.

    On a sidenote, isn't this what the highest rarity is supposed to do? To make it way more difficult?

  • Boss said:

    @Wermut said:
    @Boss but when the killer drops everything after he hears the trap disarm and comes back to check? I didn't start the work immideatly after I disarmed, cuz I was sure he would come back, like the 10 times before, but he didn't and then when i realized maybe 10 seconds later, that he ain't coming back, I got on the totem.. I just think the mechanic of the auto-arming traps should be tweaked a bit, imagine you running away from trapper, seeing an unarmed trap infront of you and then just suddenly the moment you run over it it arms itself... thats just stupid nothing else..

    If they drop the Survivor and come for you, it's another win for all Survivors.
    That Survivor won't get hooked and can now easily be picked up by someone else, meaning the Trapper wasted their time.

    Yeh, as a survivor what helps us out? Not getting hooked. This game is a game of numbers. The survivors have 6 objectives to win and killer has 12. 
  • @Dabrownman1812 said:
    Boss said:

    @Wermut said:

    @Boss but when the killer drops everything after he hears the trap disarm and comes back to check? I didn't start the work immideatly after I disarmed, cuz I was sure he would come back, like the 10 times before, but he didn't and then when i realized maybe 10 seconds later, that he ain't coming back, I got on the totem.. I just think the mechanic of the auto-arming traps should be tweaked a bit, imagine you running away from trapper, seeing an unarmed trap infront of you and then just suddenly the moment you run over it it arms itself... thats just stupid nothing else..

    If they drop the Survivor and come for you, it's another win for all Survivors.

    That Survivor won't get hooked and can now easily be picked up by someone else, meaning the Trapper wasted their time.

    Yeh, as a survivor what helps us out? Not getting hooked. This game is a game of numbers. The survivors have 6 objectives to win and killer has 12. 

    The Trapper may have 3 Survivors be busy: One at the Totem, one down and one healing the downed one.
    But while this is all happening and none of those 4 people are making progress, there's a 4th Survivor repairing like crazy, making progress for all 4 Survivors.

  • Boss said:

    @Dabrownman1812 said:
    Boss said:

    @Wermut said:

    @Boss but when the killer drops everything after he hears the trap disarm and comes back to check? I didn't start the work immideatly after I disarmed, cuz I was sure he would come back, like the 10 times before, but he didn't and then when i realized maybe 10 seconds later, that he ain't coming back, I got on the totem.. I just think the mechanic of the auto-arming traps should be tweaked a bit, imagine you running away from trapper, seeing an unarmed trap infront of you and then just suddenly the moment you run over it it arms itself... thats just stupid nothing else..

    If they drop the Survivor and come for you, it's another win for all Survivors.

    That Survivor won't get hooked and can now easily be picked up by someone else, meaning the Trapper wasted their time.

    Yeh, as a survivor what helps us out? Not getting hooked. This game is a game of numbers. The survivors have 6 objectives to win and killer has 12. 

    The Trapper may have 3 Survivors be busy: One at the Totem, one down and one healing the downed one.
    But while this is all happening and none of those 4 people are making progress, there's a 4th Survivor repairing like crazy, making progress for all 4 Survivors.

    Yup, don't forget @ post guy that this is a numbers game, 80 seconds at base to finish a gen, gen tapping makes it 90+ seconds. Time is everything here. 
  • It's an Ultra Rare addon.  It's one of over a dozen killers.  The situation has to be: the 30 second timer for the stone is already 20+ seconds in when you disarm the trap, and that trap has to be the random one (that becomes less and less random as time goes by, as by that point in this game, I'm sure all other traps were set).

    The chances are pretty stacked AGAINST this happening.  Take a step back and look at the situation.  You had 1 DC right at the start.  That's not the killers or iridescent stone or Ruins fault, but it sure does make dealing with those things a bit harder.  It was only 1 game, only 1 (extremely rare) case of a Red Addon making the save for the killer.  There's no problem to be fixed here, just 1 anecdote about an unfortunate set of circumstances. 

    Good story though.  5 stars.  Would read again.