13 Month Absence

I left the game in New Years at the end of 2019 or early 2020. Playing killer I was not impressed with the series of nerfs to Legion, Spirit, Nurse, and then came the major one to Ruin.

Since I play to level up all killers and not main any particular one I did not like having a tool (Ruin) taken out of toolbelt. At that point, being over 2k hours in DBD, I could handle not using it, but for some low mobility killers it was nice to have that option. Between this change and limiting specific killers' base kits it felt like the game was getting narrower.

It became more interesting to watch the occasional Otz video or read the forum for the futile back and forth that always happens here.

So I didn't touch it for over a year. Loaded it up recently and of course I'm down to rank 20. Typically I got paired with those who are newer to the game. What's strange is that I didn't feel too rusty and could steam roll over them if I wanted to, but I went for the four hooks and the chili points, letting them go usually. Sometimes they had a couple of strong players and they would do well as a group.

But in the end this didn't really scratch an itch that I've had. I don't feel any loss not having done any DBD gameplay in the interim. It's a choice to be killer and not be sweaty, but there is always the initial bit of angst going into the match of wanting to compete and not get wiped by a gen rush. I would fall on the more competitive side of the spectrum between that and a party game.

So it looks like BHVR hasn't resolved that question in the meantime - what is this game supposed to be at the end of the day? Mixing the two genres is often not fun. I think the game would look different if it was finally balanced one way or another.

I don't know if the speculation is true and the game grew too big based on spaghetti code that can't properly handle it, but it was frustrating to read about all the chapters and changes that kept creating new problems and balance issues.

I might drop in once in awhile, but I don't see myself ever grinding this again. Trying to P3 all killers was such a waste. P1 with all the perks is better. But I think I'll hold out for what BHVR comes out with in the future. I would look forward to see a better version of DBD in the future, rebuilt from the ground up that doesn't need so many dev changes that would p!ss me off.

Comments

  • I only P3ed the killers I plan to use. I have all lvled up for their teachables but I only really use 4 or 5. I haven't played since April last year due to similar reasons. I might come back when the DS change gets here.