Question for the Devs about the upcoming colorblind accessibility
First of all, thank you for working on it! Visual issues have been making the game less playable over the years, especially in regards to the visual updates. They look really nice, but it is getting harder to see things clearly with every update, when before they had more of a "less realistic, but more clear" visual style.
That said, the only things I've seen discussed about it so far are in regards to the HUD, namely the new HUD update that... isn't being received very positively to many people. While Hud elements can certainly cause issues for colorblindness (don't think I'll ever miss red Ruin skill checks,) it also creates a lot of problems with various texture combinations, especially considering how much darker the lighting often is now. Bloodstains are always a huge culprit of this, because they have a dark luminescence which is very similar to that of many ground surfaces (especially when they become unidentifiable on green surfaces to many.)
I don't mean to make this sound like a whining post, and I'm really glad that the team is working on this! But I was hoping if we might be able to get a bit more info on what aspects of the game it will affect, as it has now been "announced."
Comments
it was already stated that the new HUD will release with changes to be better suited for people with colorblindness (along with other changes based on feedback, we will see the result next week)
for blood etc we will have to wait til (probably) next PTB or until they have more to share. It’s still a work in progress and they didn’t want to show this too early to avoid just this: too many questions that they can’t answer just now because they are still working on it.
they certainly have seen the Feedback regarding blood pools etc for colorblinds. It was always mentioned alongside auras etc.
The reason I asked were because of concerns I had regarding the color filtration system that can be employed with Nvidia cards, as it is a blanket color replacement method. There are actually more types of colorblindness than you might be aware, and sometimes those types of fixes will make an improvement in one situation, while making another worse; People with mild forms of achromatopsia, for example, tend to find that filters can make things even harder to see. Having seen the clip thats on twitter in regards to the announcement, I can see that the starting idea is going to be along those lines. I feel its a very welcome feature and I'm sure it will help a lot of people, I was just hoping it might be something a little bit more dynamic, and was hoping to voice that concern now while it is still something being worked on.
There'll be more information on this prior to it's release where I'm sure we will go into it in more detail.
Cool, thanks!