Tips for a new killer?
Do you have any good guides or advice for brand new killers? I recently started playing on PS4 and I'm stuck at rank 20. I don't feel like I'm learning or making any progress.
I know the matchmaking system is part of the issue, since I keep going up against rank 6 or rank 10 survivors, but even when the survivors are closer to my rank, they seem so much more experienced. I also tried the mobile version, and it felt much more fairly matched - the survivors felt like they were learning too and I quickly ranked up, but I struggled with the terrible controls.
Am I too late to the game to find a good amount of survivors who can help me learn? Are there more on PC or another console? Or do I just need to suck it up and keep trying?
Comments
Its easy to pick it up. The best piece of advice I can give you is don't get frustrated. Decision making, quick thinking, and a level head are most important for the Killer role.
Play both sides, it will help you a lot to understand what the game looks like from the other side. Learn what meta perks do. Learn tiles. There is a lot of videos on youtube that explain all of this, including on how to play each killer. You can check out nototzdarva or fungoose, they both post educational videos
Yes, I've been playing a while, so I think the main killer I've been leveling (doctor) is above 30. Unfortunately the perk RNG has been bad, so I don't have very good perks yet. It's my husband's old account, so I have access to good teachable perks. I've also been playing around with other killers, some who were previously fully leveled and have all the perks they need.
Perks aside, I'm still really bad! Thanks for the video suggestions, I'll definitely watch them.
Youtube is your best resource. That and twitch imo. Raging Ryuga has Amazing guides on all thing killer, tiles ect. Thats how I personally got to rank 1.
Which platform is the right one for me? I understand I'm very late to the game.
Play both sides, first of all.
Secondly - don't listen to what survivors say to you. Keep it in your mind they you paid as much for the game as they did, and that you're not their babysitter. You do not owe them a good time. Play to win.
People say to learn tiles and stuff, but I don't know any of that and I'm rank 2. I learned how to run the shack and those double L walls like last week. Ranked up to 4 playing clown and then 2 playing doctor. Switching to doctor felt like taking training weights off- everything got so much easier.
I think game sense and being able to intuit where survivors are going to be is very important. If you can find somebody in the first few seconds of a match that's great. Dropping chases is also very important. If a survivor is leading you to a difficult building or a group of completed generators just let them go and go pressure gens. If you recognize that a survivor is an exceptional looper that's fine. Leave em and go somewhere else. Sometimes people are just better at the video game than you. No big deal, there's three other survivors to choose from.
Perks are useful, but not vital. The only "meta" perk I run is Pop and some games I only use it once or twice. Figure out what works for you. Most games I run distressing/pop/brutal/sloppy. Sometimes I switch out brutal for discordance, thrill trems or overwhelming presence if they have flashlights or something.
Learning general survivor behavior is very useful. Humans are creatures of repetition and habit. If someone heals under hook once they will likely do it again. Catalogue behavior and use it. Survivors do not like to abandon gens with a lot of progress. Hook near it and patrol near it, you can snowball this way.
Oh also, some doctor tips I utilize. Manage madness levels. I try to keep survivors at tier 2 so that I can halt their healing and generator progress. It's very satisfying to hear a nearly completed gen, static blast and see madness 3 proc on every survivor and know that it won't be finished in your face. I also hardly ever use the regular shock unless it's on a survivor camping a pallet and I know I can score a hit off it. The detonation delay and latency make it unreliable for anything else.
I would just uninstall and never look back. This game will be dead soon. The killer population dropping fast and soon there will be no killers left to survive against.