DbD Matchmaking or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb

This is an homage, of course, to classic film Dr. Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb. It is a great movie, one I highly suggest. But before I digress further, by now we have all heard the news about how Rank will soon have nothing to do with matchmaking. We are told that they have somehow tweaked MMR and it is risen from the ashes for testing soon. Some unknown method will be comparing our important statistics (they won't tell us which) and in theory pit us against appropriate opponents.

Let's be honest, Matchmaking now is terrible. Matchmaking under MMR was terrible. I have no faith that the new matchmaking is going to be anything but terrible. I'm not a naysayer. I still enjoy DbD. The day I stop is the day I'm gone, and you won't hear me making a big GOODBYE announcement over here. I don't do the pity party thing. I'm a pragmatist. They just have a horrible record when it comes to matchmaking. That isn't news to anyone.

So what do I believe? I don't think there is going to be a system. Like Dumbo's magic feather, we have something to hold on to, to believe in until we can trust ourselves. :) The new system is going to be 1st one in and 1st one out. That is what I think. They are going to do this to speed up the Ques. Do I think this is terrible? No, not really. It literally cannot be ANY worse than things are now. Does this mean extremely potent Killers with thousands of hours will get dropped on potatoes? Yes. Does it mean Killers barely out of the box are going to get monster Bully Squads? Yes. But how will that be different from now?

The simple fact is creating a proper matchmaking system is possible but requires coding and work, and I suspect they just don't see doing that as cost efficient. So welcome to the wild west.

Comments

  • This is pretty close to how I feel. I can queue up with one, two, or three red rank friends and get matched with green or yellow teammates and killers. Lately, my red rank SWF have been getting straight green rank killers with the occasional red rank. This is still better than a couple of weeks ago, when we were getting yellow ranks lmfao

    I have no idea what they have in store for the new MMR, but I figure it probably won't be all that different, and it is what it is, LOL