The Trapper | Balance changes

Bear Traps

  • Changed the aura of Bear Traps to white from red.

For consistency with other Killer powers and for better visibility. (On 99% of the maps)

  • Increased the number of Bear Traps that spawn in the Trial grounds to 7 from 5. (These numbers cannot be changed with Bag add-ons, the Trial will always start with 7 Bear Traps + 1 that the Trapper already has in hand)

The Bag add-ons increase how many Bear Traps you can use in the Trial, which isn't ideal, so to make it more consistent I'm removing this feature from Bag add-ons and increasing the base number of Beart Traps that spawn in the Trial.

  • Bear Traps now spawn closer to the center of the Map, instead of all around the Map.

It wastes so much time to go from one corner to another to collect all your Traps, so making them spawn closer to the center should be better.


The Trapper

  • The Trapper is able to carry 2 Bear Traps at a time. (He doesn't start with two)

Trapper can only carry one Bear Trap, which really hinders him, so I'm increasing his carrying capacity to 2.


Escape Chances

  • Survivors have 100% chance of escaping from Bear Traps. (From 25% chance)
  • Survivors take 10 seconds to escape from a Bear Trap. (From 1.5 seconds)
  • With help from a Teammate it will only take 5 seconds to escape.

With these changes the overall consistency of the Trapper should be better, now you can make decisions based on when the Survivors was caught and if you are close enough to them, instead of just guessing.


These are all the changes I would give to the Trapper, what do you think?

Comments

  • I like this direction, though I do have some of my own ideas and criticisms.

    • Bear Traps being white instead of red is definitely the way to go for sure, easier to see and tell apart from generators, and more consistent with other killer powers.
    • I would personally remove the carrying add-ons and also give Trapper an add-on pass.
    • I think even spawning the Traps closer to the center of the map is a bit inefficient, as many times survivors will be in other areas. A better option in my opinion that could fit both the aggressive Trapper that uses his power in-chase and the strategic Trapper would be to instead allow him to grab traps from lockers, similarly to Huntress. He should also start with two traps this way.
    • I think 10 seconds is a tiny bit too long by default, though I do agree that teammates helping should give a benefit.

    Here's how I'd do it:

    1. Punish survivors for stepping in traps while injured.
    2. Survivors should have some sort of benefit for helping teammates escape.
    3. Decrease setting time, increase disarm time.
    4. Traps shouldn't be seen on maps.

    --

    • Trapper starts with two traps and can carry two at a time
    • trapped survivors must complete a series of three successive skill checks with increasing difficulty (taking 5 seconds) or will automatically be released after 12 seconds
      • teammates can free others from traps in 3 seconds
    • injured survivors that step in bear traps will be afflicted with the Deep Wound status effect once freed
    • Trapped can grab traps from lockers, which will be highlighted yellow when he is carrying none
      • Trapper can pick up his two oldest unarmed traps from lockers
    • setting time decreased to 2 seconds
    • disarm time increased to 4 seconds
    • traps cannot be seen on maps

    What do you think?

  • How about if you are injured and get caught in a trap, you cannot release yourself at all, and require a teammate to save you?