Matchmaking Rank Discrepancy

Matchmaking has been really inconsistent lately, to the point where I am surprised to find a killer ranked 1 - 7. And as killer, I frequently see one or more survivors rank 9 - 15 (if they are a swf, i understand that is unavoidable).

I am a rank 1 survivor/killer, with 1.4k hours in the game spread across both roles. Personally, I'm not a fan of bullying inexperienced killers/survivors, so I have been running No Mither to help give killers a handicap against me, and voluntarily playing whole games as T1 Myers without either mirror add-on.

But neither of these changes have had the right impact...

While I understand the devs removed rank visibility in pregame lobby for various reasons, it would be nice to see them return where they display only the color of the survivor and killer's rank. It might help paint a better picture of how the match will be paced, and allow either side to tailor a perk-build towards their expectations.


This matchmaking issue has persisted in solo queue, duo and trio queue with other rank 1s. Most often when I am in a 3-man swf the 4th survivor will be rank 15, and the killer will be rank 8 or 9. This is not balanced.

If I can see that the killer is a yellow rank going into a match, I would hope I'm not alone in then deciding to run perks that otherwise wouldn't see much use in my rotation. In theory, this would provide a healthy opportunity for players to discover new perk synergies, by shaking things up when matchmaking isn't able to give them a match fit for their rank.

Too often myself and others have pulled up the post game results to see a low rank player in the match and say, "ahhh.. it all makes sense now." Many of us remember what it was like to be new to the game, and can sympathize with the struggle of playing against people with thousands of hours.

Comments