Do y'all think the game should be balanced using perks, or should issues be addressed directly?
Personally I think the current perk meta would be absolved if the issues with the base game were addressed.
Plus it would free up so many perk slots if I didn't have to run certain perks to cover for unbalanced design.
Comments
some things shoud be fixed directly: like camping and tunneling. Perks are bandaid in that situation
I think slowdown perks also cover for how fast gens can go too.
If I try to not run any slowdown perks in a build those gens will pop like there's no tomorrow.
Hopefully the early game slowdown can help with that. But we'll have to wait and see what the mechanic actually does.
The game should be balanced around perks being in play, but not around some particular perk being in play.
If a certain perk is run every game, either it's blantantly overpowered and needs to be hammered into place (Exhaustion, DS) or the game surrounding it needs fixing to make that effect less necessary (Pop, Ruin+Undying).
I agree, plus the listed killer perks cover for some things that should have been touched up a while ago.
The main reason undying became meta is because it covers for bad totem RNG. They could do something like corrupt intervention for totems.
For pop it covers for how bad base gen regression is. Not saying it needs to be ruin levels of fast, but it could use some buffs.
I think it is hard to truly balance this game with various skill levels.
It really comes down to looping. If the killer ends chases fast they usually win. If not, they lose.
But I have a friend rank 1 that can straight loop you for 5 gens, pretty regularly.
I myself, have my moments, but I tend to lose chases quickly. I am a rank 3.
Now how do we balance around these different skill levels. 4 of me and we probably lose. 4 of my buddy and killer would be lucky to get a couple of hooks.
The post is more about how perks cover up aspects of the base game that should have been addressed years ago , but you got the spirit.
Quite literally, judging by your profile picture.
My point being that the game is pretty balanced as is. But it is impossible to separate individual skill when trying to balance for base game.
It is still a race to protect gens and win chases. The perks we choose are to better our odds of achieving this.
For me it all comes down to chases, win them fast as killer and win the game. And how can we balance this with such a discrepancy between skill at looping.
But, maybe you're..... Blight! 😆
IMO they should balance things on a fundamental level. For instance, the reason perks like DS, BT, UB are more consistent is because they are directly but not immediately countering built-in mechanics on the killer side.
Yes you may say “but not everyone camps” and that is correct, however, you do not predict how the next killer you face will play and how much they will take advantage of these mechanics.
I am also not saying keep every perk the way it is now and balance built-in mechanics. I am saying if you want to truly shake up the meta you will have to acknowledge that there is a fundamental problem to begin with.
It would balance how heavily RNG dependent you become when you want to use “fun builds”.