How long did it take for you to feel at least comfortable as survivor?
I’m 400 hours in now. 390 of that is probably Survivor so I can play with friends. I hover around rank 6-8. I still feel trash and kinda lost. Feel like I barely know the maps still, can’t memorise loop layouts to save my life (shack and LT walls are about the only ones I feel comfortable on, and that’s if I’m lucky enough to be near them due to lack of map knowledge and even then that’s only if the killer just follows me and doesn’t mind game or change route at all). 4/5 games I spawn in, literally tap a gen and the killer is on me and it’s a case of panic running and hoping I find a pallet, rather than comfortably knowing the map layout and knowing my route. I’ve watched so many YouTube guides and loop tutorials and map layout videos and even plenty of 360 guides And jukes but 360’s never work for me neither do fake vaults or anything like that. Killer always just locks on like they have strong aim assist and hits me despite me taking a sharp turn at the window instead of vaulting. Idk just feels like no matter how much research I do and how much I play and implement tips, none of it works and I’m still just a bot. Struggling to find the fun in barely getting 10k score a game Cos of getting tunnelled or flat out just failing in chases. I don’t think it’s a perk issue Cos what I’m running is pretty standard - WGLF for BP, Bond, Dead Hard & Borrowed Time.
im ranting a bit too much now but idk whether it’s just the way the game is or I’m just straight trash lol but the game has lost a lot of enjoyment for me as I thought after 400 hours I’d be pretty good but i still feel like I only picked the game up last week type #########.
Comments
360s are last resort, they are not even 15% safe to work.
To get the hang of survivor it took me around 200h tops maybe less but I started playing with very experienced players who taught me how to play as a survivor.
Map layouts, you have to distinguish those with experience, find something to distinguish those, example asylum if you see a light on top(a regular light bulb) there will be a pallet right there, if you are on let's say long wall jungle gym you will see a pallet then in front will be open, if it's a regular jungle gym the "open" will have a vault right in front of the pallet.
Use a female character since they are shorter and usually less noisy, get perks like iron will.
I'm not sure what else to say.
I definitely felt comfortable before the 400 hour mark. That is not intended to be obnoxious. It could be that playing with friends is more of a handicap to learning the game? I've played almost entirely solo and I wanted to be chased because I wanted to learn. Spins and fake vaults don't work a lot on good killers, but keep doing it. It will work sometimes and if you're going to get hit anyway, why not?
I also get caught a lot at the start of the game. As soon as I load into the game, I'm planning on where I'm going to run first, and then where I'm going to run after I get hit at that first loop or LT tile.
I'd definitely change my perks if I were you. You're running a pretty altruistic build but if you're trying to get better and learn the game, it's not selfish to use perks that help YOU. I run Dead Hard but I didn't when I first started. It's also super unreliable on console. I regularly have games where I am exhausted on the ground four times. If you're only getting 10k BP a game, what's the point of running WGLF anyway? It just gives you BP, it doesn't help you survive. Borrowed obviously helps other but does nothing for you. Don't feel guilty about using other perks for a while. I feel like Lithe is a very solid exhaustion perk if you want to use one of them, especially since you said you're comfortable with running shack and LT walls. I've never had it fail like Dead Hard does, and there aren't enough maps that I can use Balanced on. I also run Adren, which does get me killed sometimes with NOED but also saves my butt a lot. I'm good at being chased and it has saved me many times when my teammates actually do gens.
Are you on Playstation by any chance? We could run around in a KYF if you want and see if I can help any.
I have about 1.8k in the game, and the vast,vast majority of them as survivor, probably around 1.7k.
I play strictly on PC, and strictly solo, i.e. solo start, solo queue, and solo match. The only interaction I have with other players I already know (or have added to my steam friends list) is is in those 60 seconds before each match in the lobby chat (which is one of the reasons why I dislike crossplay as it removes even that one last tiny form of human-human interaction). Once I made it to the red-ranks for the first time, I have been able to get back there every time and stay there until reset.
Over 90% of survivor gameplay has nothing to do with the actual killer, less than 5% of the total is direct survivor-killer interaction. You can be the worst runner/looper on the planet but if you do everything right as far as the other 95% of the survivor gameplay goes, you will be a fantastic survivor.
If you're always being chased at the beginning of the game and you don't want to be, at the start of the match if there's no other survivors around hide in a locker until another survivor gets injured. At high ranks if you do this and there's a survivor around you're gonna get trolled, but if you really, REALLY don't want to be the first one chased, that's how you do it.
Really it just sounds like the fear is getting to you. Mute your game so you aren't bothered by the terror radius (and make sure you can hit your skillchecks without the sound tone) It'll make the game much clearer for you. The atmosphere can be rough but...it's not real and has no effect on actual gameplay. Remember that.
I have over 3000 hours on PS4 and PC combined and still feel lost sometimes. You just have to play and eventually you will feel more comfortable.