Surge Opinions?

Having used this bad boy again all day, i came to the same conclusion as i've done before. (Mind you that this conclusions is solely based on Wraith being the user.)


I really really really like this Perk.

Seeing 2-3 DAMAGE GENERATOR score events pop up with just 1 down feels good, especially knowing that regression also starts.

I mean i don't love the Perk, y'know? I'm not surprise-hitting with M1s, completely stopping chases, y'know?

And okay, maybe it's not on PGTW's level, but i kinda don't mind: I like not having to go out of my way to kick Generators.


That said, the cooldown really really really feels like an unnecessary hindrance to it, and without it, i think i might even replace PGTW in my main build with Surge.

It feels so terrible to down someone in the last 5 seconds of its cooldown, which happened i think 7 times today.

The immediate regression is 3x smaller than PGTW, which still sounds good when combined with my earlier-mentioned 2-3 DAMAGE GENERATOR score events, while in reality it's way more often just 1 or 0, since 100% & 0% Generators obviously don't count. (Also: Generator deadzones exist.)


You could have a really good slowdown Perk here that could be a competitor with PGTW & Hex: Ruin.

But i guess that's the problem here, right? That combining these 3 would then lead to massive slowdowns?

In that case: Why even have other slowdown Perks? Why add a new one with The Twins?

No, i'll always feel like Surge would be close to perfectly fine without its cooldown.


Probably could've worded things better, but i don't care at the moment, if you point out stuff then i'll edit.

What's your thoughts on Surge?

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @JacksonWise said:

    I feel the perk is too limited for it to be consistent. I think either removing the basic attack requirement or having it apply more regression (maybe 12-15%) would make it a good alternative to Pop.

    Removing the basic attack requirement would be my go to if I had to choose between that or the cooldown. Cooldown would help some killers more but removing the hit requirement would open up this perk to be viable on a LOT more killers.

  • I think it should be map wide instead of what it is now. But yeah I love running it.

  • @Deadeye said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1755297#Comment_1755297

    even at 45 seconds, you are given pretty free reign over which gen you want to Pop

    that still includes that you waste a lot of time, if you really want to decide which gen to pop. in normal gameplay it is more likely that you are forced to kick a progressed gen that you "by accident" pass by. And giving up a chase is almost never a good option. Having another downed survivor is in most cases the better pressure than having 20 seconds extra on a gen. The lost chase takes you longer than 20 seconds to catch up again.

    such a situation to not be terribly common

    this is just an example to show what I mean with scenarios, and that this perk can not just be described with "down near gens" as you asked about "more than one scenario". The game is a bit more complex, especially when it comes to "conditions"

    something comparable with less effort using Pop

    Pop requires hooking. Infectious Fright is best on killers that benefit from slugging. I said that before, having to hook each downed survivor can give the team enough time to pop another gen or to either heal the team or get easy unhooks while you hook the next one. All not necessary with Surge. I can just repeat again: if you add multiple Surge effects on a slugging party, it is way more likely to end the game than with Pop.

    Again, I think the bigger problem is the range. There are nearly no complaints about the cooldown on Thrilling Tremors. There were some in the beginning, but the perk is still picked decently often. Surge is too easy to counter by just running into deadzones (gen wise) which is what you do anyway when you have a plan on remaining gens.

    We might just disagree, but I'm pretty sure that a removed cooldown would lead to a complete replacement of Pop, at least in higher ranks. Also pretty sure that it would hurt more than Pop if they did so

    that still includes that you waste a lot of time...

    Like I said, I'm okay with all this. It's worth it to make proper use out of Pop. It's why I think Pop is one of the best Killer perks in the game.

    this is just an example to show what I mean with scenarios...

    I don't believe that niche situational scenarios that are unlikely to happen aren't really that important compared to the ones that are likely to happen. A perk's usefulness should be gauged on what is most likely to happen.

    Pop requires hooking. Infectious Fright is best on killers that benefit from slugging. I said that before, having to hook each downed survivor can give the team enough time to pop another gen or to either heal the team or get easy unhooks while you hook the next one. All not necessary with Surge. I can just repeat again: if you add multiple Surge effects on a slugging party, it is way more likely to end the game than with Pop.

    And all that is made up for with a sizeable regression. For Surge, the trade-off for a comparable amount of regression on the same number of gens that would be how many things need to line up in your favor. With Pop, you just need to be able to commit to doing so, and each Pop you commit to makes it easier to commit to the next one because of the amount of gen regression you get from it. You just need to play it smart and make sure you're not allowing a gen to get finished in the time it takes to get the hook.

    Again, I think the bigger problem is the range. There are nearly no complaints about the cooldown on Thrilling Tremors. There were some in the beginning, but the perk is still picked decently often. Surge is too easy to counter by just running into deadzones (gen wise) which is what you do anyway when you have a plan on remaining gens.

    Funny. I 100% believe the cooldown on Thrilling Tremors makes it not worth using. Furthermore, I don't see myself replacing Pop with Surge in instances where I haven't already if Surge were buffed in that way. It would make it a more appealing option, but I don't believe it would make it worth using over Pop in many instances. I believe you are underestimating the difficulty in having three downs in super quick succession (at least, in such a way that it isn't the result of pure incompetence on the Survivors' part), and I believe in practice, this scenario isn't even going to come up that often.

  • I like to run it on doc with huntress lullaby, ruin plus unnerving. I even go as far with the game map too. Overall the perk does it job but the cool down should be shorter.

  • The cooldown needs to be lowered. This is the same problem with DS where you can literally down too fast and get punished for it.

  • In general, I like Surge. However I do sort of wish they hadn't made it affect regressing gens and completely killed the cooldown instead. When it couldn't affect regressing gens it kind of did double duty as both gen regression and Infectious Fright for generators, which was pretty swanky.

    Also I'm surprised no one has mentioned how great it is/was on Deathslinger. All his hits count as M1's, he's the only killer who can reposition the down before it happens, and the time saving represented by not having to kick gens the regression and info given by Surge was invaluable because he's pretty slow in everything he does.

  • I love it on every single killer that uses M1 as their main way of downing survivors. I would run it on many other killers too if it would activate when downing survivors via other means, like Infectious Fright. That is the change I want the most.

  • The basic attack restriction on Surge has long been a pretty big buzzkill for me. Most of my favorite killers can down survivors through their power (and it's often more fun to try and down people with their powers instead of standard attacks). I also feel like the actual regression it causes is pretty underwhelming for how long the cooldown is.

    It's an alright perk, but it could be better.

1 2 ›