Is anybody else thinking random generation should be more random?

So, I'll use ######### paint pictures and some maps to explain what generation is right now and what I believe it should actually be. Also, I may be forgetting some less important details like the fact whether the truck always spawns in one place in Azarov or ######### like that, but I hope you still get the point.

Spoiler Spoiler Warning ▲▼

long story short for the people who don't want to look through the whole post: Remember current badham that has 5 variations for each pattern it has even though it technically is the same map? I believe devs should make it so every map in the game would have same kind of variations - different placement of main building, shack and other associated elements of this map, including the pattern it is generated. The only thing that would determine the "unique" part of the map would be the main building it is associated with.


Let proceed. Imagine this crude scheme is Azarov's resting place. This is a constant pattern which is used to generate this map. Every single Azarov`s resting place is 2 huge blocks connected with a thin corridor. In one block there's a shack and in the other is main building. Survivors and the killer are always aware the very moment they spawn how the general location of the realm will look like. They do not know only how the empty space in this pattern will be filled.

image.png

So, right now there are 2 constant things that determine ARP (Azarov's Resting Place) from other maps in this realm: 1) Existence of a unique main building 2) H-like generation which always has main building on 1 side and shack on the other.

After playing for a while on this map, you eventually get used to it. You learn by heart how will this map will generate and you already have a "map" in your head to navigate yourself there. I believe this shouldn't be like that. I think that players should not be able to get used even to general structure of the location and it also should have more variables than 1 it has now.

For example, what I envision Azarov's resting place's 3 different patterns:

image.png

Some of them could be mirrored or changed in other ways. Circles represent the possible place the main&shack could be placed in, with a strict rule that there should be at least 1 empty "circle" between main&shack. Empty space is filled with random tiles and other ######### like that.

Another example are notorious Shelter woods:

image.png

And so on. These are some really crude schemes, but think of all these alternative generation variations having same amount of playable ground. Some of them might need more balancing, but I hope you get the general idea. Of course there should be more than 2-3 variations, at least 5-6 for each unique map.

Every trial should have be more unpredictable, you shouldn't be able to instantly know the "map" of the location you got into. You always must have to discover and investigate the trial, the only thing you should be able to know is what "main" building your map will have. Everything else needs to be rng generated or at least have more than 1 variation just like tiles or gens spawn.

Players should quickly learn and study the location they got into, instead of playing it so much that they can draw the map of it that will be precise 100% of the time.

Similar story is for closed maps but I'm too lazy to draw that because closed map gen is far more complicated.

In addition to all that if that would theoretically occur:

  • Badham maps (1-5) are joined into 1. It's not "Badham var. 1", it's now always just "Badham".
  • OoO reworked/deleted/erased, all abilities and mechanics that allow to read killer's aura longer than 5 seconds while being far away from him are also deleted/reworked.
  • Map custom generation tool for KYF - choose what and where is spawned excluding totems. - for cybersport pepegas
  • Players are also able to use certain seeds to predetermine map generation in KYF - for cybersport pepegas
  • Certain offerings added that could somehow temper the way map could be generated.

What do you think? I think that would make trials far more exciting.

There was no absolute map balance anyway, so adding more rng to generation wouldn't hurt, considering that there would be no OoO or other things to create infinites so simply even more predetermined variations of 1 map generations, with random main&shack spawn would greatly refresh the trials and feeling of unknown. I still can't get used to new badhams and I always have to walk/look through the whole location to get a general idea of what is where, so I guess that would greatly increase replayability of many maps.

Comments