Survivor-sided Maps vs. Killer-sided Maps
It is a known fact that some maps in dead by daylight favors one side or the other. That being said, I hold the opinion that survivor-sided maps are worse than Killer-sided maps. I believe this because Survivor-Sided maps tend have loops or aspects that are really unfun and limit the options that both killers and survivors can do it be successful. Some killer-sided maps have this problem too, but they tend to have it to a lesser extent. To prove my point, lets go through some maps
Haddonfield
This map is bad, really bad. If you were to ask me off the top of the head what the biggest problem with it was, I would say it is the fact that there is only one way into each houses second floor, the stairs. Why is this a problem? For starters, it means that as a survivor, there is only one path I need to watch out for against the majority of killers. Stealth killers really struggle on this map. On top of that, even if you do get up there as a killer, the survivor can usually just jump out of a window and loop you around the house. Every time I play this map, I always gravitate to the exact same general strategy each time because the map limits what some killers can do. That is bad for both sides, as half the fun playing against a ghost face and killers like him is trying to find out where he is.
Ormond
This map is also very bad, but for different reasons. What is the problem with it? Well as many will tell you, it is too heckin big. The killer shed is so disjointed for the main map and the gens so far apart, that it is almost impossible to hold gens unless you are playing a high mobility character. That is already bad enough, but to make matters even worse is that surrounding the main building there is a dead zone, that makes it very easy to track people, both killer and survivor, who are leaving the building. Combine this with some pretty nasty tiles, and you have a map that makes me want to DC. But why is this a bad thing for survivors? The reason is that, once again, many killer powers do not work effectually on this map. The fun of playing survivor (in my opinion) comes from outsmarting killers and overcoming their powers. So being able to just be able to run away, knowing that if the killer chases me, by the time they are done multiple gens could be popped even if I get downed 15 seconds, kind of ruins the fun for me.
The Game
This map is interesting. The map favors killers due to its small size and multiple drops that allow a killer to navigate quickly and come from unexpected angles. As a survivor, the way that each room is a box limits your options going from loop to loop and makes it easier for killers to track and mind game you. There is also the fact that one of the gens is a literal death trap that if you get stuck in there against a killer like bubba or a blood fury oni, you are going straight to the basement. But, even though map favors killers, I find that as a survivor, there are ways to adapt to it. I can turn myself into a bull matador and send some poor Billy to the lower level, I can bait a killer into thinking that I went further in a loop before sneaking past him through the door, and so on and so on.
Conclusion
The reason why killer sided maps are more fun is because the force the survivors to have to adapt and try new tactics, while maps like Haddonfield allow a survivor to do the exact thing each time without facing much of a threat unless they are facing a killer like spirt and nurse. I don't think any map should blatantly favor a side, but they should focus fixing maps that are survivor sided because they tend to be rather boring to play for both sides.
Comments
Idk this kinda sounds biased to me with the "conclusion" part. But I can be wrong
I will admit that I play a lot more killer than survivor, but when I do play survivor, I tend to have more fun on the maps that are considered killer sided than survivor sided. But that is like comparing being shot to being stabbed, the best maps are the most balanced ones, as that enables both sides to have fun without having to resort to really annoying tactics like camping. I don't think maps should be killer sided, I just really don't think they should be survivor sided.
I disagree.Killer sided maps are pretty much just as boring.
Look at the amount and size of deadzones maps like wretched shop and shelter woods can spawn.Survivors can't adapt to those kind of deadzones.They make it way easier for the killer just like survivor sided maps with a lot of safe loops make it way easier for survivors.
Both needs to be adressed
I will be honest and say that I complete forgot those maps. I tend to play a lot of ghost face, so those dead zones screw me over too, so I kind of forgot that for most killers that is a death sentence for the survivor. While I do think that having some dead zones is important, when the majority of the map outside of loops is a dead zone, something is not working.
Azarov's Resting Place and the Sanctum of Wrath can spawn 4 gens on one side. If the killer wants to commit to chases, it could be fun. However, for the most part, if they want to play to win, they could just camp the side with 4 gens and it make it hell for solo survivors.
There's only 1 truly killer-sided map in the game, and that's Azarovs. No matter what, the killer always has a distinct advantage. All the rest that people like to claim to be killer sided? They're either stealth-focused maps, or for some wierd reason The Game, the map where every single pallet is a god pallet that is completely unplayable but for some reason people call the map killer sided because once they're gone it's a complete deadzone... Like most maps.
That's not to say that RNG doesn't create killer-sided maps, but a map is truly one-sided when even it's worst RNG favours that side (Haddonfield, Ormond, Blood Lodge, Rotten Fields, etc.)
Surprised Rotten Fields and Fractured Cowshed didn't make the list too. I'd actually argue they're worse than The Game and roughly on-par with modern-day Haddonfield (IMO it's not as painful of a map after Balanced Landing was nerfed, even if it's far from great).
But I don't think maps that are overly biased are really all that fun in general. It's annoying to feel like everything's been stacked against you because the map favored your opponent(s). As the map-favored role, winning on these maps feels also feels like less of an accomplishment, which takes a lot of the satisfaction out of victory. I want to feel like I outplayed the person/people I'm playing against, not like the game mostly did it for me (or for them).
Killer sided maps are really fun if pallet rng is survivor sided. Survivor sided maps are fun if the pallet rng is killer sided. However, 2/3rds of the time, pallets are neutral or killer sided on killer sided maps while also 2/3rds neutral or survivor sided on survivor sided maps. Making 2/3rds of the games on those maps just awful. Killer sided maps need at least 1.5 times the amount of pallets they averagely spawn(without creating infinites, but that can be easily be prevented by replacing some windows with pallets instead) while survivor sided maps need averagely about 1.25 less pallets(otherwise you create too many deadzones, which is equally bad)
As many people pointed out, your conclusion is very biased. There are a lot of ways to play around survivor sided maps. The biggest thing Haddonfield has, is that it can have up to 3 generators that can only be fixed by 1 person. There is maybe 1 4 man gen, and that generator spawns in the corner of a map where you dont want to be as killer anyway. The problem with haddonfield is long fences. You can mindgame a survivor out of a building, but you cant mindgame a fence. A fence is literally W simulator and that means for every 10 seconds in chase, you're only gaining 4 meters. While in a building, you can force a survivor to jump out early, cutting them off with a substantial amount. Claiming survivor maps need change the most is kinda showing a lack of game knowledge there. They are more boring to play on, just as killer sided maps are more boring to play on. That doesnt mean one is a priority over the other. Killer average kills is still higher than 2 on all maps. Considering a killer "loss" is 0-1k and 2k being a draw, that means averagely, killers win on every map more than survivors do.