This match making system...

First off, I would like to say this is my first post on the forum. Been playing DBD on ps4 for about 3 years now. I love this game and love watching it grow.


But, my biggest complaint... what is this match making system?? I'm by no means an expert but I'm definitely not a noob. I usually stay around Rank 6 as survivor and somewhere around 9 or 10 as killer since I'm a survivor main. But... these lobbies. The Devs said the new match making was supposed to be based on skill correct? Then why is it I get absolutely trashed and straight up bullied every match? It's getting very disheartening and I wish they'd change the system back to what it was. I actually want to stand a chance.

Comments

  • FYI the new MMR system is currently disabled (aside from maybe if they are testing it on a small random sample of matches and having it collect data behind the scenes). They did say it will be turned back on eventually, probably sooner rather than later I bet, but for now the game is matching by ranks.

    And yes, ranks do get mismatched pretty often. There’s a few reasons for that:

    • Half of all games or so include a 2-, 3- or 4- person swf. And there’s no restriction on ranks in a swf, you can have a rank 1 apotheosis of looping in a swf with their 9 year old kid that they are teaching the game to. There’s not much matchmaking can do about this, people want to play with their friends and that’s fine.
    • There is a soft time limit on matchmaking where if it doesn’t find enough players close to your rank it will start pulling in players whose ranks are of greater disparity. Better to get you in a match after a couple of minutes against different ranks than wait for 15 or 20 minutes for a perfect matchup.
    • And when the MMR does go back into place it will be matching based on how good it thinks the killer player is with their specific character. But it will still be showing that player’s overall killer rank, so you might end up for instance seeing things like a Rank 1 killer player who mostly plays standard killers getting matched against low level players when they play Nurse because they happen to stink as Nurse.

    Now whether and how many mismatches are due to those factors versus the algorithm being inefficient is impossible to tell. But even if the matchmaking was as good as it could possibly be you’d still have some mismatches because of things like I mentioned above.