PSA: Console frame rate, how to get the best from 4.2.0

I already posted this in different topics, but I think somebody could still be unaware of this, so:

while the game does still stutter sometimes, and there's nothing we can do about it for now (for example: every time you open a chest), the frame rate has definitely improved since 4.1.0.

However, after a few games the game will go back to stutter immensely and the frame rate will drop. If this happens, YOU JUST NEED TO RESTART THE GAME.

You can know that the game needs a restart already from the menus, here's a clip to show it:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/736379412

(direct link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/736379412 )

I still haven't figured out if the problem is the amount of games one play before restarting, or if it's something specific in certain trials that, once it happens, activates a process that stays on the background - and those add up eventually to fill all the console processing power.


Anyway, since I was (and still am) one of the most vocal about how awful DbD is on console, I wanted to share this as much as possible.

@MandyTalk , I tag you so you are able to give this information to my fellow console players if and when they ask and, if needed, to pass it along to the Devs, if they don't already know.

Comments

  • If what happens??

    I cannot watch the video (network error because I do not allow Twitch scripts)

  • also, I'm talking about console but I think the same problem is present for PC players, at least, that's what I saw from @ScottJund "15 Blight games in a row" video (very nice Scott btw :P)

  • @Nos37 said:

    If what happens??

    I cannot watch the video (network error because I do not allow Twitch scripts)

    the clip simply shows the stuttering in the menu before the restart, and how the stutters are completely gone after that.

    This is the direct link if you want: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/736379412

  • Restart it? Like how often? Because I'd rather deal with it instead of having to restart every 10 games or so.

  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    Restart it? Like how often? Because I'd rather deal with it instead of having to restart every 10 games or so.

    10 games is a lot - from my experience so far the game needs a restart after ≈ 5 games - and no, you can't deal with it if you are playing killer, especially certain killers.

    For example, the game will basically freeze for half a second every time you hit a wall as the Blight, and the most awful things happened to me trying to stalk as Myers as well.

    I know it's just an annoying band aid, but if you play killer it's just a must.


    As a survivor... who cares.

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1616662#Comment_1616662

    10 games is a lot - from my experience so far the game needs a restart after ≈ 5 games - and no, you can't deal with it if you are playing killer, especially certain killers.

    For example, the game will basically freeze for half a second every time you hit a wall as the Blight, and the most awful things happened to me trying to stalk as Myers as well.

    I know it's just an annoying band aid, but if you play killer it's just a must.

    As a survivor... who cares.

    I only play survivor and i agree, who cares? Lol

    Though I might restart if it gets really bad. Like stuttering so bad my inputs not being read. Or if I face multiple Doctors on a row because that's basically unplayable on stove maps.

    If I played killer I would definitely restart as often as possible because just seeing my fiance play it after this patch is a massive headache.