Clown Rework Idea

I've thought about a few ideas for the clown, and finally decided it might be fun to make an account on the forums and drop the idea for people to read. Apologies if this is a long post, along with if this is a frequent discussion, as I'm having trouble finding anything related to this.

A general agreement is that Clown is pretty lackluster in performance, and I think there is a few reasons as to why. I want to compare 2 archetypes of killers to Clown to help give an idea of how I perceive the clown.The first will be killers with one ability (Hillbilly, Huntress, Nurse, Oni, etc) and killers with 2 abilities (Doctor, Freddy, Demo, etc)

  1. Clown has a single ability, and I don't think clown's power is oppressive enough to warrant being his only ability. Characters such as huntress, Nurse, and Hillbilly are restricted to one ability, and that is because the abilities tend to be powerful enough where adding anything else would be overkill(Huntress hatchets), or the ability is versatile enough where it can be used for multiple situations (hillbilly can insta-down and has high mobility). I feel Clown's power is not on the same level as the other characters with singular abilities as he lacks mobility, map control, and versatility. His power only helps him close down loops to varying success.
  2. There are other characters similar to Clown where their base ability is not the strongest, but make up for it with passives and secondary abilities. Doctor's ability, static charge on its own is not incredibly powerful beyond helping with loops, but paired with static blast and the passives to stop gen usage and other madness inducing passives make his kit strong for map/gen control, along with chases. Freddy with dream snares on his own may not be the best, but paired with the nightmare realm passives and gen teleportation makes him a very powerful killer. Clowns ability is closer to these killer's yet lacks any additional passives/abilities to be considered as viable. I find Clown very close to doctor where the m2 ability helps a lot with shutting down loops, yet Doctor has a plethora of additional tools while Clown only has one. On top of that he has to reload his grenades.

So comparing these 2 archetypes of killers, I think Clown would benefit from having a CTRL ability. My idea would be something similar to a bomb, which I will call the Clown Bomb. Because I don't feel comfortable enough putting down numbers, I will just say what the idea would mainly be.

The clown bomb would be a CTRL ability that would have a long cooldown similar to static blast. The idea would be Clown dropping a bomb that is on a timer. The bomb would have a ticking sound that the survivors can faintly hear the closer they get to it. After a certain amount of time, the clown bomb will release a loud explosion, followed by a massive radius of toxin similar to the grenade. This would stay in a radius for a certain amount of time and be the radius of perhaps two close gens to give an idea. In addition, I would add 2 passives to the toxin effect. If a survivor is under the effects, they cannot heal or do gens. This makes it so the power isn't just a explosion of toxic that doesn't do much beyond annoy survivors. I also would like the idea where survivors can diffuse the bomb if they get to it in time and so long as the bomb isn't close enough to exploding, they can turn it off. This is pretty much the same idea as the C4 in counter-strike.

The purpose of this is to give clown the ability to have map control, as I think a killer based around toxic gas should be an area denial character. Again, I'm not sure how numbers could work, but I would imagine this would have an extremely long cooldown, and be centered around benefiting Clown's who put thought into when and where to utilize the ability. Furthermore, I think if the survivors had the ability to defuse the bomb (probably just your typical hold m1 for a certain amount of time and preform skill checks) it doesn't make it annoying where the Clown can just camp a 3 gen and constantly drop a bomb to stop survivors.

Apologies for the extremely long post. I'm curious what others think of this idea and if its its a good direction for Clown.

Thank you again for reading!

Comments