Hex perks are honestly enraging to use sometimes

The entire reason I refuse to use Hex perks 90% of the time is because they only seem to end up in the worst spot it possibly could on that map. I literally just want to try out Devour Hope, I have counted 9 times out of 12 it ends up either right beside a generator or in a loop. I get that Hex perks are that big risk/reward, but when I could have brought literally any other perk other than something that gets cleansed within the first minute, it's literally just enraging. I know I'm not entitled to a game long Hex because they are really powerful sometimes, but it's honestly just testing my temper every time I see it actual location, then I see a dull totem that would never be found. I just hate these totem spawns, and I really think they should have put effort into making totem spawns less of a pain. I at least want a Hex to get SOME value and not a complete waste.

Comments

  • Devour hope either gets taken out before you get any use or carries the game, there's no in between. I honestly just want them to make totem spawns more consistent, idc if it on average makes them harder or easier to find, theres some spots way too open and others way too hidden

  • @OllieHellhunter said:

    Devour hope either gets taken out before you get any use or carries the game, there's no in between. I honestly just want them to make totem spawns more consistent, idc if it on average makes them harder or easier to find, theres some spots way too open and others way too hidden

    Agreed. You NEVER know any area these things are gonna spawn, all I know now is "It'll be close, and probably next to a gen or in the open". Devour itself, I feel like the totem shouldn't become Hexed until the first token is gained

  • If totems were actually hidden, it wouldnt be as bad. The problem is "hidden" means placed in a corner or against a wall. Not, in a box, covered by brush, or obscured

  • @OllieHellhunter said:

    Devour hope either gets taken out before you get any use or carries the game, there's no in between. I honestly just want them to make totem spawns more consistent, idc if it on average makes them harder or easier to find, theres some spots way too open and others way too hidden

    ever since I've started religiously using Devour Hope on Huntress, I've started getting some in-betweens (eg it's cleansed after I've gotten one or two downs at three stacks or it's cleansed after I've gotten my first mori and no one else is dead).

    @OP I didn't at first realize how much map awareness was critical when keeping your totems alive, but it is, and Whispers helps out a whole lot with that.

    Also, you need this!:

    @Kind_Lemon said:

    Totems

    Totem spawns have been for quite some time (this has died down somewhat recently) the subject of a heated playerbase's ire. The history of totems has been difficult, and some of the more memorable highlights were lighthouse totems on hills, totems spawning in the middle of open fields, and totems spawning in LOS of survivors. The developers, since the introduction of totems, have hand-chosen totem spawns, and this post aims to finally break that tradition. Coming from a comment from one of the developers about being unsure if cleansing totems he had placed himself was cheating (humorously stated), I realized that the next step for totem placement was to give the choice to the killer player in each match. Now, this does bring up a series of necessary, complimentary changes that would be needed to shift from developer-placed to player-placed totems, but this post is going to cover all potential issues and pose solutions to each one of them.

    The killer receives five dull totems at the start of every match. This is coded into every killer's power, so that just like how GhostFace's crouch is designed, totem placement requires an unused button and is completely optional. The killer may at any point in the trial place down a dull totem (Default E key) directly in front of the killer's own position (this fuctionality is similar to how The Trapper places traps, and this ability includes placing totems inside the basement). Pressing the (E) button again when within 24 meters of the totem will apply the first Hex perk positioned in the killer's loadout (as chosen before loading into the trial). Totems cannot be within 24 meters of one another (cylinder) and take a total of 2 seconds to place into the environment. Consider a summoning from the ground animation (like Freddy's snares).

    These changes prevent totems from being too close together, addresses how this ability might function through killer UI, and also (negligeably) provides a potential way for killers to lure survivors (through dull totems) away from objectives.

    What this means for NOED

    All Hex perks may need to be slightly modified to compensate for this new mechanic, but NOED (and Haunted Grounds) is going to receive special attention in this section. NOED will can no longer be prevented prior to the final gen's completion. Instead, if there is not already a dull totem within 24 meters of the killer, the killer will first have to go through a slowdown and a 2 second animation before lighting the totem, at which point nearby survivors will have a heads up on NOED. This does mean that a killer could hook down a survivor, hook the survivor, and then place the totem right in front of the hook, but scenarios like that already effectively exist currently and do not comprise the majority of experiences with NOED. In the case that this is an issue, the NOED hex might receive a timer and only be able to be applied to a totem for the first 30 seconds following the last gen's completion.

    For Haunted Grounds, the hex will not apply to a totem until there are at least two dull totems on the map with the killer within 24 meters of one of them.

    Design

    Having the playerbase choose their own totem spawns will always ensure that totem spawns are changing from trial to trial and prevents the developers from wasting time and resources on just moving around totem spawns to make finding totems a little harder for players. Additionally, where a killer places his/her totem now carries more meaning and requires more game knowledge and removes any frustration that may arise from particularly bad RNG.