What is Toxic Behavior?
I'm old, much older than most of you. I played PVP games back when they very first started, followed on down, and now I'm here playing this one. I got really into Team Fortress for awhile. Oddly enough, nobody every spent time whining and winging about right of way, or whether you should let that guy get away, or what was an acceptable way to machine gun the opposing team to death. Back then PVP was pretty straightforward. Like I said, I'm old. Perhaps I'm just too old to understand this new generation of entitled snots who feel that other people are somehow responsible for their fun. That we can be rough, but not too rough. There seems to be so many people now who seem to think PVP is more like some kind of cooperative song and dance.
I'm not trying to sound mean, but I know it comes off that way. Toxic behavior doesn't exist inside the game. The game is the game except in the rarest of cases. Toxic behavior happens before or after a game (mostly after). We have people who gloat and strut in victory. We have whiners getting salty and defensive in defeat. It is pathetic. Losers. I have a fun anecdote from just last night....
I was playing Myers (as I'm focused on him right now) and got Haddonfield. The game gets going and seems pretty typical. The Survivors are a bit weird and keep going back to Mikey's house, not going around doing lots of generators. This is a poor tactic and I assume they are new, so I'm not going out of my way to be hard on them. They keep putting all the pressure on that one Generator and I keep hitting them (breaking it up a bit) so I don't down them figuring they will get the idea on their own that they are spending too much time here.
Well I'm carrying the Tombstone Piece and one of them runs right into me (kind of cheeky) and gets Mori'd. I didn't want to Mori her, but the Tombstone Piece kicks in automatically if you are Tier-3 and they are real close when you hit. Then the rest of them... get even more cheeky. They are clearly (to me) SWF and coordinating every move. They keep trying this weird trick where they go out on the roof crouch (two of them) and one is to lead me off and the other go back inside. I fell for it ONCE... on purpose as they were not very good at it. Then when they still would not take the hint one tried to go back in through the window while I was barely out of it and Mor'd herself too. I hit the other one and went to the ground and threw him on the middle of the street to look around for a hook I wanted and now Stalk for the last person. Using the Tombstone had drained me out of 3.
The guy immediately disconnected. I thought this was an odd choice but shrugged and ran down the last survivor, hooked and sacrificed her. They were all much lower Rank than me. In deference to the rules here I won't give their names. They were salty and profane. I kind of shrugged an laughed. Then they started saying were were just here to Troll anyway. I said, "Really? Kind of backfired on you didn't it? Troll me some more whenever you want because I like these blood points." My point is what they did in the game, whatever the intent, wasn't Toxic. It is what they did AFTER the game that made it foul. The best games I've had were super sweat, hard fought and ended badly for one side or the other but we all were friendly and respectful. Toxic isn't game play. It is how we comport ourselves OFF THE FIELD.
Comments
Never before in any game community have i heard the word "toxic" more. The origin I think are the youtubers and streamers that popularized it and got popular because of it. It seems like everyone throws it around for doing just about anything that they don't like. Using too many pallets, sitting on gens while injured, camping hooks, tunneling, 'abusing' a perk, playing to win, etc. etc.
It's bizarre to me. Teabagging and clicking is annoying sure... but I've been playing so long that teabagging is as innocent as saying "you stink!". The only thing actually toxic is the sore losers/winners in the post game chat that are flaming someone.
Sure, the most "toxic" part of DBD is the end-game chat. But some actions during the match are toxic too - they usually have no other point than to annoy the other side. For example purposely waiting at the exit gate and t-bagging the killer or slapping someone on the hook, and maybe abusing some flaws with the game, like bringing object of obsession with a Midwich offering.
Playing sweatily and using scummy tactics is not "toxic", but is overall unfun (at least for one side)
Fellow oldie here, and I agree with you 100%. I'm always called out and insulted because I dont fall for obvious survivor tricks. Like when I start a chase and not even five seconds pass before another survivor runs by expecting me to follow. I guess I'm a tunneler because I'm not that easy to trick.
In all honesty I only ever purposefully tunneled when I had a laurie who's arua I could see and assumed she was using OoO. Turns out it was a bug because they didnt have the perk. They were salty til I explained.
Is it toxic to constantly shock the last survivor because you enjoy being sadistic with the doctor? If so I'm pretty guilty.
end game chat, nothing more
if you enjoy being sadistic you should see a therapist, full stop, its not healthy behavior
To be fair, the doctor is sadistic and I am an emerssive player.
The doctor is insane, you dont cut up your face and put electrodes in it while you play him. Dont make excuses for poor behavior, adjust and move on.
Ok well, I can absorb dragon souls or shout but I still get into character when I play skyrim... because I am an emerssive player... google the term and I'm not the only one.
Preach on my fellow old fart of gaming. I'm old enough to have played Duke Nukem 3d over modem, and I saw the launch of battle net. I come from a git gud family, where there is no mercy in games, regardless of age.
I've played a lot on both sides so dont find much toxic. If something has a purpose, I dont find it toxic.
Teabagging and clicking by a survivor to get the killers attention may seem toxic but they're doing it for a reason. I find if you ignore that survivor they will follow you while you chase other survivors so meh.
Teabagging at gates can mean anything from "GG get a free hit for points" to "I'm gonna waste your time and make you hit me so my team has more time to get out or open the other gate"
Killers camping and tunneling may be annoying but I can see it being beneficial in certain situations so I cant criticize it.
Slugging can be advantageous at times so cant fault it either.
I only find a few things actually toxic and thats when theres only 1 survivor left in the match:
The survivor waits and teabags at the gate but leaves before allowing a hit. That does nothing to effect the game or points and is literally pointless.
The last survivor gets slugged and either left to bleed on the ground as the killer follows, picked up and hooked just before bleedout (which could have been done as soon as they were downed), carried to the hatch and then the hatch is closed in their face as soon as they crawl to it, or finally - GF or pig teabag the survivor on the ground while they bleed out. Again, these are all fine if theres anyone else left but when its 1v1 I just find them toxic...