One complaint with new MMR

With this new MMR, your Skill Rating fluctuates based on the character you play (For Killer anyways). The minute you begin a search for a match with your selected Killer, you are locked in and cannot change unless you leave the search/lobby. Here's why that's an issue.

I don't really know what to call it, so I'll label it as an "exploit". On PC, there's a couple of ways that as a Survivor sitting in lobby, you can identify who the Killer will be before the game starts. It's not a hack because this information can be obtained naturally within the game files however it is still a form of cheating. This allows players to adjust their items and perks accordingly to get a rather unfair advantage that they initially weren't supposed to have.

During the old Ranking system, this was countered by immediately switching to the Killer you were actually going to play within the last 6-7 seconds before the start of the match. The information the Survivor would receive wouldn't be fast enough to relay it, nor would they be quick enough to change their setup again. With this new MMR, you can't do that now. Survivors who use this "exploit" are not able to use it with a 100% success rate.

Hopefully BHVR fixes this soon.

Comments

  • Quoted from @MandyTalk in another thread:

    "Nothing to do with being survivor sided at all!

    It's locked in because when you search for a match that's when the matchmaking happens, so if you queue with your strongest killer for example and then decide to change to another killer whilst in the lobby you are going to struggle...that would also be abused the other way around - you'd queue on your weaker killer and be matched with survivors of that skill level, then switch up to one of your stronger killers in the lobby.

    The difference for survivors that there's no difference between characters in the same way there is for killers."

  • @xTalon32 said:

    Quoted from @MandyTalk in another thread:

    "Nothing to do with being survivor sided at all!

    It's locked in because when you search for a match that's when the matchmaking happens, so if you queue with your strongest killer for example and then decide to change to another killer whilst in the lobby you are going to struggle...that would also be abused the other way around - you'd queue on your weaker killer and be matched with survivors of that skill level, then switch up to one of your stronger killers in the lobby.

    The difference for survivors that there's no difference between characters in the same way there is for killers."

    You seemed to have completely missed the point of my entire post.

  • @Desh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506700#Comment_1506700

    You seemed to have completely missed the point of my entire post.

    And you obviously didn't read the quote, or you simply don't care about the abuse that would follow by allowing killers to change in lobbies. You're literally asking for something that will be abused.

  • @xTalon32 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506732#Comment_1506732

    And you obviously didn't read the quote, or you simply don't care about the abuse that would follow by allowing killers to change in lobbies. You're literally asking for something that will be abused.

    No I did. But that's not where I'm requesting the fix to be. So reread the post and try again.

  • Really what needs to happen is survivors need to be locked in on build/items before they queue. That prevents the exploit and realistically you shouldn't be swapping around much in the lobby anyway. Keeps them from using any of the exploits surrounding lobbies.

  • @Desh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506755#Comment_1506755

    No I did. But that's not where I'm requesting the fix to be. So reread the post and try again.

    You asked to be able to change your killer in the lobby, to counter players looking in the files for what killer you're playing. I quoted the problem with that for you. As far as I know, from what I've read on other forum threads, those files are encrypted now (but I don't know for sure).

    So, exactly what kind of fix are you requesting? You haven't been very specific.

  • @xTalon32 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506732#Comment_1506732

    And you obviously didn't read the quote, or you simply don't care about the abuse that would follow by allowing killers to change in lobbies. You're literally asking for something that will be abused.

    @LordRegal said:

    Really what needs to happen is survivors need to be locked in on build/items before they queue. That prevents the exploit and realistically you shouldn't be swapping around much in the lobby anyway. Keeps them from using any of the exploits surrounding lobbies.

    LordRegal get's it.


    Only issue with that though is offerings. Sometimes I'll throw in a last minute offering if I believe the party is going to do well or if we want to try something.

  • @LordRegal said:

    Really what needs to happen is survivors need to be locked in on build/items before they queue. That prevents the exploit and realistically you shouldn't be swapping around much in the lobby anyway. Keeps them from using any of the exploits surrounding lobbies.

    @Desh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506755#Comment_1506755

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506770#Comment_1506770

    LordRegal get's it.

    Only issue with that though is offerings. Sometimes I'll throw in a last minute offering if I believe the party is going to do well or if we want to try something.

    See, he was specific and to the point. I completely agree with his idea.

  • @Desh said:

    With this new MMR, your Skill Rating fluctuates based on the character you play (For Killer anyways). The minute you begin a search for a match with your selected Killer, you are locked in and cannot change unless you leave the search/lobby. Here's why that's an issue.

    I don't really know what to call it, so I'll label it as an "exploit". On PC, there's a couple of ways that as a Survivor sitting in lobby, you can identify who the Killer will be before the game starts. It's not a hack because this information can be obtained naturally within the game files however it is still a form of cheating. This allows players to adjust their items and perks accordingly to get a rather unfair advantage that they initially weren't supposed to have.

    During the old Ranking system, this was countered by immediately switching to the Killer you were actually going to play within the last 6-7 seconds before the start of the match. The information the Survivor would receive wouldn't be fast enough to relay it, nor would they be quick enough to change their setup again. With this new MMR, you can't do that now. Survivors who use this "exploit" are not able to use it with a 100% success rate.

    Hopefully BHVR fixes this soon.

    They have encrypted the files already.

  • @xTalon32 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506759#Comment_1506759

    You asked to be able to change your killer in the lobby, to counter players looking in the files for what killer you're playing. I quoted the problem with that for you. As far as I know, from what I've read on other forum threads, those files are encrypted now (but I don't know for sure).

    So, exactly what kind of fix are you requesting? You haven't been very specific.

    They have been encrypted.

  • @xTalon32 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506759#Comment_1506759

    You asked to be able to change your killer in the lobby, to counter players looking in the files for what killer you're playing. I quoted the problem with that for you. As far as I know, from what I've read on other forum threads, those files are encrypted now (but I don't know for sure).

    So, exactly what kind of fix are you requesting? You haven't been very specific.

    I didn't ask for it to be changed back. Jesus dude READ THE POST. I referenced on how that tactic was countered prior to the roll out of MMR. You've provided nothing to help the discussion aside from FINALLY talking about the actual tactic and that it may be encrypted.

  • Guess it's turned into a hack or there is still a way around it because players have been doing it since before 4.1.0.0

  • @Desh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506795#Comment_1506795

    Guess it's turned into a hack or there is still a way around it because players have been doing it since before 4.1.0.0

    They encrypted it with the last update that they did. Unless you're using a program, you can't see who the killer is.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506820#Comment_1506820

    They encrypted it with the last update that they did. Unless you're using a program, you can't see who the killer is.

    Sweet, then I guess there's no complaint to MMR. Hackers gonna hack.

  • @Desh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506825#Comment_1506825

    Sweet, then I guess there's no complaint to MMR. Hackers gonna hack.

    There was a time where people could see you through walls and even throw 100's of hatchets with Huntress at one time. This game has improved from awhile back.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1506833#Comment_1506833

    There was a time where people could see you through walls and even throw 100's of hatchets with Huntress at one time. This game has improved from awhile back.

    Most certainly. Still has a ways to go though.

  • I completely agree with you on that.

  • @xTalon32 said:

    Quoted from @MandyTalk in another thread:

    "Nothing to do with being survivor sided at all!

    It's locked in because when you search for a match that's when the matchmaking happens, so if you queue with your strongest killer for example and then decide to change to another killer whilst in the lobby you are going to struggle...that would also be abused the other way around - you'd queue on your weaker killer and be matched with survivors of that skill level, then switch up to one of your stronger killers in the lobby.

    The difference for survivors that there's no difference between characters in the same way there is for killers."

    And this quote doesn't address the possibility of allowing killers to switch between killers of similar MMR (eg. Wraith and Ghostface, if you're just as good with both). Spreading around a quote that A. doesn't address the query and issue presented in the original post and B. is specific and shortsighted isn't contributing anything of value to discussions like these.

    @Desh I use the lobby time often to coordinate with other survivors via the in-game chat (asking for offerings, requesting that others not use a looting build if I'm running one, etc.), and that often will require another survivor (or myself) to switch characters and/or amend the loadout. By locking survivors in before lobbies, you prevent that sort of intended coordination from happening.

    In a perfect world, I would actually support giving survivors more information about which killer they'll be facing. (eg. survivors get a notification in chat that the killer uses traps, and this could refer to Trapper, Hag, or Freddy, or the notification would say that the killer can teleport, and this could refer to Hag, Freddy, Nurse, Spirit (?). The aim of this change would be to encourage survivors to have more investment in planning their tactics to escape rather than relying on the current meta, and this would hopefully bring some more Small Game users or Sole Survivor users to the table if a survivor knew the perk would be useful to some degree.)