Problematic Levels, Killers, Perks, and Matchmaking
First time posting, been playing the game for a few weeks and these are the things I've noticed that have utterly frustrated me and my friends to no end about the game. I'm still playing because I want to enjoy the game, it's concept is fantastic and it's so much better as a group game.
1) Indoor levels- The Gideon Meat Packing Plant, Hawkins National Laboratory, the Asylum, these levels have so little cover and even less way to hide, it's often better just to disconnect because the killer is almost guaranteed a clean sweep on them. I know every level can't just be outdoors and have beatiful overgrown plants to hide in, but maybe more clutter or even trash to hide in, hollowed out crates or floor coverings, more ways to hide in these exposed, linear, and very easy to follow around maps.
2) Several killers have much too egregious natural abilities, I don't even know all of them but the least manageable so far have been any of the human sized killers with their stealth and no terror radius (which spine chill does help with somewhat), The Doctor's madness that just outs where the survivors are for free and forces constant screaming and bad skill checks, The Cannibal's free one hit chainsaw that carries no disadvantages, The Demigorgon's absolute tunnel vision wherever he drops his much too long to destroy tunnels- all things that are just not fun. I don't mind getting killed at all, it's the game, but when it feels like I can't have even done anything about it, that's not fun.
3) Perks- Of course there's bad perks on both sides, perks that the majority of all players will get and unlock and pick for every character no matter what, and in pvp games there should not be such obvious choices to make, which eliminate diversity and make every game feel the same, one after the other. Barbecue and Chili is a MUST HAVE for killers, it just makes the game 100x easier for them. Nurse's Calling as well, making it so healing is almost out of the question. Spine Chill definitely helps the survivors too much, letting them always know the killer is coming even when they stealth, even if it ends up being too late. And if killers don't have nurse's calling, should every survivor be able to learn self-care? Maybe not. The universal nature of these perks however is unquestionable, and they create a meta that makes the game itself more stale.
4) As almost anyone will note, the entire matchmaking system might as well not have any rankings. No matter your rank as killer or survivor, you end up getting paired with anyone of any rank. At 20, you see 1s and 4s and 16s, you're lucky to see even another person at your own rank. As long as it takes for killers to find matches, it seems unreasonable to expect killers to even be able to level with any consistency or be able to have matches with similarly ranked people, so why not remove the ranking system entirely? Take some of the edge and frustration off when there's no gauging the opponent's skill via ranking anyway. And yes I would absolutely rather wait longer for a whole game where everyone is within a few ranks of eachother.
I expect people to provide counterpoints to most if not all of this, but it doesn't change how I feel about these issues, and I hope someone able to consider these points reads them. If there's no desire to change, then how about the ability to set up matchmaking with parameters, like no killers playing as _, or using _ perks, so the people that feel them fair and balanced can keep using them. I hope this is seen as something worth review rather than discarded as whining, so thank you if you do read this.
Comments