Is there nothing I can do?

Hello everyone!

I'll do my best to keep this concise.

I'm brand new to Dead by Daylight, I actually bought it during the sale because a friend of mine told me it had Pyramid Head and Cheryl. Being a Silent Hill buff, I picked the game up. I had previously thought I'd never care, or want to play the game since it wasn't my cup of tea, but in short, a few matches of survivor and I started to have fun.

Started playing as Pyramid Head and I started to better understand the game and really came to like it, I've only played about 9 hours of game time, but I have 18 hours in game. Why, you might ask, as a new player do I have that kind of game time? Here's why, much to my dismay.

I am matchmaking banned nearly constantly. Playing as Pyramid Head and Cheryl on my first day of owning the game was a blast, I never had any issues. A whole day of playing went without a single problem, but then on my second day I disconnected about twice playing as killer. I assume it's my internet, but it sucked waiting for a match for 20 minutes only to get about a minute of gameplay, or a full winning game in only to be DC'd before it was over, and then get a timed ban for it.

Even more so, I decided to buy it for a friend so we could play together, and sure enough, they're playing fine but I keep DC'ing now. At least once or twice a day. Today included, I was playing Cheryl and got one game in, started another one, and withing the first 4 seconds, during the turnaround of your character in the map intro, I DC'd. I am now at 30 minutes of a ban. I only left a game early once in my very first game, where I died almost immediately to the killer. I've never willingly disconnected from a game after that knowing that there was a penalty.

Yet now, as a new player I'm not even allowed to play the game I paid for. I'm constantly worried about my DC's preventing me from playing, and I can't even play with the friend I bought the game for. I've gotten about two games in with them, and 4 DC's. I feel as if, as fun as it has been, I've lost my money to a faulty product.

I've looked around for any answers, or help on this issue, but I can't find any, I just keep DC'ing against my will and I keep getting a bigger and bigger timer, I've had about 12 timers so far.

4 have been 5 minutes, 3 have been 15 minutes and 2 have been 30 minutes. Beyond that, if I ever want to play killer I'm just sitting for about 10 or 15 minutes for a match. I don't mind the matchmaking for Killer, and Survivor is really fast, but even though it says my connection says 120ms at worst, to 65ms at best that I've seen, I DC anyway.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate this? I don't have this issue in other games from my understanding, but I may not be certain. I'm simply at a loss that I cannot play the game I just bought after it hooked me into it's fun gameplay loop, only to then tell me I'm not allowed because of something out of my control. I can only say I'm frustrated and severely disappointed.

Comments

  • I'm not sure what you can do, but as long as you've played under 80 hours in the first two weeks and if you've bought it on Steam, there should be a way to get a refund. If the matchmaking delay doesn't eventually get you to incredibly long timers, the dc/not dc ratio might eventually get you banned, even if it's out of your control. As much as this game likes to support casual (survivor) players to a degree, the dev team is merciless when it comes to bad things out of your control happening to your internet. I'm sure there's a statement somewhere saying how "maybe you shouldn't be playing" if you have internet connectivity issues as justification for banning players who accidentally dc somewhat often.

    Best of luck, and wishing you well,

    Kind_Lemon

  • @Kind_Lemon said:

    I'm not sure what you can do, but as long as you've played under 80 hours in the first two weeks and if you've bought it on Steam, there should be a way to get a refund. If the matchmaking delay doesn't eventually get you to incredibly long timers, the dc/not dc ratio might eventually get you banned, even if it's out of your control. As much as this game likes to support casual (survivor) players to a degree, the dev team is merciless when it comes to bad things out of your control happening to your internet. I'm sure there's a statement somewhere saying how "maybe you shouldn't be playing" if you have internet connectivity issues as justification for banning players who accidentally dc somewhat often.

    Best of luck, and wishing you well,

    Kind_Lemon

    People told me that when I mentioned the problems I was having that were very similar on console. Personally I wouldn’t worry too much, if it gets worse contact the devs with customer support. They’ll answer right away and are usually willing to help.

  • Update:

    I just managed to play three rounds as killer, which was very fun, and I finally get to play with my friend again. It's his first match ever, and I DC the moment a killer picks me up. Shortly after I DC from the killer picking me up, the game crashes and I get an error report.

    Please, someone, what can I do to stop these matchmaking bans? I'm at a full hour of ban and my buddy and I just sat down to play, now I can't!

  • @Coldaardvark said:

    Hello everyone!

    I'll do my best to keep this concise.

    I'm brand new to Dead by Daylight, I actually bought it during the sale because a friend of mine told me it had Pyramid Head and Cheryl. Being a Silent Hill buff, I picked the game up. I had previously thought I'd never care, or want to play the game since it wasn't my cup of tea, but in short, a few matches of survivor and I started to have fun.

    Started playing as Pyramid Head and I started to better understand the game and really came to like it, I've only played about 9 hours of game time, but I have 18 hours in game. Why, you might ask, as a new player do I have that kind of game time? Here's why, much to my dismay.

    I am matchmaking banned nearly constantly. Playing as Pyramid Head and Cheryl on my first day of owning the game was a blast, I never had any issues. A whole day of playing went without a single problem, but then on my second day I disconnected about twice playing as killer. I assume it's my internet, but it sucked waiting for a match for 20 minutes only to get about a minute of gameplay, or a full winning game in only to be DC'd before it was over, and then get a timed ban for it.

    Even more so, I decided to buy it for a friend so we could play together, and sure enough, they're playing fine but I keep DC'ing now. At least once or twice a day. Today included, I was playing Cheryl and got one game in, started another one, and withing the first 4 seconds, during the turnaround of your character in the map intro, I DC'd. I am now at 30 minutes of a ban. I only left a game early once in my very first game, where I died almost immediately to the killer. I've never willingly disconnected from a game after that knowing that there was a penalty.

    Yet now, as a new player I'm not even allowed to play the game I paid for. I'm constantly worried about my DC's preventing me from playing, and I can't even play with the friend I bought the game for. I've gotten about two games in with them, and 4 DC's. I feel as if, as fun as it has been, I've lost my money to a faulty product.

    I've looked around for any answers, or help on this issue, but I can't find any, I just keep DC'ing against my will and I keep getting a bigger and bigger timer, I've had about 12 timers so far.

    4 have been 5 minutes, 3 have been 15 minutes and 2 have been 30 minutes. Beyond that, if I ever want to play killer I'm just sitting for about 10 or 15 minutes for a match. I don't mind the matchmaking for Killer, and Survivor is really fast, but even though it says my connection says 120ms at worst, to 65ms at best that I've seen, I DC anyway.

    Is there anything I can do to mitigate this? I don't have this issue in other games from my understanding, but I may not be certain. I'm simply at a loss that I cannot play the game I just bought after it hooked me into it's fun gameplay loop, only to then tell me I'm not allowed because of something out of my control. I can only say I'm frustrated and severely disappointed.

    Im sorry to say but this actually can and might be directly connected to the Internet service providers during covid-19 some of them are know for right now throttling internet connections and selling what they used to at higher prices to make some profit during covid-19. You might want to just enjoy some single player games or other games that won't get you banned for being not connected to the game for a minute or two until it blows over. You could still play the game but try and only play it when the dc penalty is low so you don't end up stacking it to higher amounts than you would like.

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/166066/is-there-nothing-i-can-do

    Im sorry to say but this actually can and might be directly connected to the Internet service providers during covid-19 some of them are know for right now throttling internet connections and selling what they used to at higher prices to make some profit during covid-19. You might want to just enjoy some single player games or other games that won't get you banned for being not connected to the game for a minute or two until it blows over. You could still play the game but try and only play it when the dc penalty is low so you don't end up stacking it to higher amounts than you would like.

    How long does it take for the timer to go back down?

  • To my knowledge I got no clue however most peoples estimates are a day or two is enough to decay light bans