Possible remedy for frustration on both sides?

Not saying this is end-all solution, but here's my idea:

Playing survivor, if you don't do very well, is hardly as rewarding as playing killer and not doing well. Why? Well, here's my key points of frustration with survivor vs. killer, after 2,700 hours of playing both;

  • Survivor's gameplay is, in my opinion/experience, far more competitive than killer's in terms of bloodpoint gain. Objectives, altruism, and survival are all, for the most part, limited in the round without any perk's help. If you want to maximize off of your trial, you have to be very coordinated or lucky. Whereas with killer, bloodpoints are not necessarily set in stone in a round, survivors are the primary source of that. And while they can starve you of bloodpoints, that requires usually good coordination.
  • Objective gameplay is hardly interactive. The main objective mechanic requires you sit still for a duration while passing skill checks. While I get that this has always been the idea, I feel like gens could be worked better to make survivors search the map for further progression rather than find an objective and complete it in one spot. A nice little dynamic I've noticed lies in Inner Strength. This perk allows you to make use of totems found around the map, making you put yourself out in the open and find a healing source. All the while, it counters NOED. It's a nice little mechanic that I feel should be more present in generators, making yourself present in the map.
  • Alongside survivor's gameplay being competitive for bloodpoints, escaping becomes a huge bonus. And while I think it should remain a strong objective, I feel as though it would not be harmless to make bloodpoint rewards higher for even those who do not survive. This would hopefully lessen the punishment of dying rather than going to any means necessary to escape. Although, I still believe there should be a reward for escaping, certainly.
  • With playing killer, it feels extremely frustrating sometimes when a SWF or just group of survivors does everything in their power to survive and it keeps you at bay for long enough. Hopefully, if survivors no longer need to escape to get a good amount of bloodpoints, then they will not be so fierce and upset about dying to certain events, as I hope a sufficient BP reward would not make the death so insulting.

While I'll admit, I'm very tired and my judgement may be off, here's my key two suggestions:

  • Make Objectives Interactive: Change generators, or another mechanic, to force survivors to search the map in a productive manner, allowing them to gain bloodpoints while wandering about and risking getting chased. This could potentially make genrushing less painful to experience and create a new boldness factor to playing survivor.
  • Better Survivor Bloodpoint Rewards: Increasing survivor bloodpoint rewards, specifically so that death does not necessarily mean missing out on tons of bloodpoints, could possibly decrease the frustration at dying and not escaping. Or even just dying earlier. With that, I feel like the try-hardedness between the two sides may, as a result, decrease slightly.

But these are just ideas. Tell me what you guys propose!

Comments