Easy solution to hook suicides

I'm seeing a lot of threads crop up with a lot of comments frustrated about survivors killing themselves right away on the hook, and it confuses me because there's a pretty simple solution to solve this problem (which I'm not sure people have discussed because I'm not reading through a full 5 or 3 pages of comments on multiple threads)

When a survivor gets hooked initiate a hidden timer that the system keeps track of how long a survivor has been hooked. If a survivor hits second state and stops struggling before 10 or 20 seconds have passed they get hit with some kind of punishment, say a subtraction of 5000 bloodpoints from your total earned that match or something.

My first thought was hitting people in BP but the punishment for doing this could literally be anything, it could be treated exactly like DC penalties if the community requested in worked that way, preventing people from queuing and playing again until a certain period of time has passed.

The timer itself is also subject to any kind of change I just suggested 10 or 20 seconds because it's a short time period meant to deter / discourage / stop players from letting go immediately as soon as possible. But it could be something longer like 30 seconds

Hell, create a big penalty on letting go right away or quickly after, and a small penalty for letting go at any point before you would have died naturally. Survivors should be fighting to stay alive for as long as possible, providing more incentives like increased BP for doing so is also a good way to combat this issue.

Comments

  • @Huff said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1371115#Comment_1371115

    I don't need to read much of that, because it's clear by you devolving into namecalling instead of addressing my point that you have nothing to say against what I told you.

    You say I'm the one putting words in your mouth but then here you are telling me that I'm disregarding other peoples' opinions. No, I just made fun of you because you're clearly responding like an ass. The whole message I'm trying to put across is that you have the gall to tell somebody that it's "just a personal problem" when I've seen many people say the same things. Just like you are arguing here, that you're not arguing for only for your sake, but because you agree with the many threads posted before. You're literally saying the same thing about me that I'm saying about you and yet you don't see how that's ironic. It's amazing how closed minded you can be, to tell me that I'm the one disregarding peoples' opinions when I only commented on how you responded, and to not see how "hilariously ironic" it is that you are textbook definition disregarding somebody else by telling them "sounds like a personal problem." It's so utterly tone deaf it's astounding.

    There's no "bullsh*t" to call out. I told you you're disregarding the opinions of those who disagree with you and here you are. Doing it again, to me. Have fun being closed minded with your double standards, unwillingness to actually recognize or take criticism, and complete incapability of empathy (as shown by your willingness to ignore my logic but then try to still argue with that same logic.) I can't waste any more time with somebody who either obviously has a disability or is just completely unwilling to actually hear out an opinion that doesn't line up with his own.

    So yeah. Please, tell me what "bullsh*t" there is to call out. Tell me how I'm disregarding the opinions of others and how you aren't a hypocritical garbage fire.

    Oh I'm the ass? That's rich. Considering that your very first comment on this thread was a direct insult, tossing away and trying to de-legitimize anything and everything I've said so far by labeling it as "hilarious irony", and ignoring all of my own counter-arguments on this thread by saying I've only been ignoring people who bring up "valid points" rather than addressing them on the spot as I have been. After which you compare me to "Cathy Newman", which I can only assume is meant to be a degrading insult to my character.

    If there's anyone here who's a glorified hypocrite, it's you. Name calling? I didn't call you anything, and yet here you are calling me a "hypocritical garbage fire" and an "ass", you say I've been ignoring people and proceed to outright tell me "I don't need to read much of that" in regards to my response and ignore most of it, you call me "tone deaf" yet you're utterly and completely oblivious to the fact you're doing the exact same things you accuse me of.

    If that's not the textbook definition of a hypocrite I don't know what is. But go ahead, plug your ears some more, shout over me, and keep painting me as the villain here, it only makes you look even worse.


    @Huff said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1364477#Comment_1364477

    This is the comment I was talking about.

    Once again, hilariously ironic that you can't see the hypocrisy of telling somebody expressing valid counter-arguments that I've seen several others share, "That sounds more like a you problem than anything else," while you also try to pose an arguments that you claim you've seen several others share. The same thing, but "rules for thee but not for me," right?

    As for my "hypocritical" comment, It's not ironic because it was entirely valid. If you're constantly dying as survivor because you're messing up struggle that is definitely far more akin to a problem a new player would have than anything else. Struggling isn't meant to be difficult, and it's not something that you should be messing up on so obviously it makes sense that my first instinct would be to say "sounds like a personal problem" because it is.

    I don't know how many veterans you've seen complain about messing up struggle on anywhere near a frequent basis, but I have not. Unlike survivors killing themselves on hooks to get out of games, messing up struggle is not a widespread or widely reported issue far from it. That's not a "valid counter-argument" it's hardly even related to the thread and it's nowhere near the "damning evidence" that invalidates everything I have said on the thread thus far that you claim it is.

    Anything else you wanna indict me with Judge?

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1364295#Comment_1364295

    They did it with DC penalties, and i'm tired of hearing this argument.

    Name a single other multiplayer game that allows you to sucide/remove yourself from the game while playing ranked.

    DotA

    LoL

    CS:GO

    Rainbow 6

    Every MMO

    All of these games have punishments for leaving games early or intentionally "feeding" (killing yourself on purpose) some of these penalties are extremely hefty. DotA/LoL/CS:GO will actually ban you for several days for doing it, and if you keep doing it your ban eventually escalates to permanent.

    The moment you queued up, you signed up to play a game of Dead by Daylight. If you don't like the game or can't finish it, don't queue up. If you don't like how solo survivors play, play with friends. When you queued up for a solo queue game, you signed up for it.

    The difference between all those and DBD is that you've labeled a ton of competitive games, and MMO's have their own thing going.

    DBD is a casual game. You get some games you really don't want to play, even for a couple minutes. Sometimes you just want to move on to the next game instead of lingering on some trash game you had, and you can do that with this game.

    Comparing a game to every other game actually works against that argument, why should every game have the same rules and disciplines?

  • @Seiko300 said:

    I'm seeing a lot of threads crop up with a lot of comments frustrated about survivors killing themselves right away on the hook, and it confuses me because there's a pretty simple solution to solve this problem (which I'm not sure people have discussed because I'm not reading through a full 5 or 3 pages of comments on multiple threads)

    When a survivor gets hooked initiate a hidden timer that the system keeps track of how long a survivor has been hooked. If a survivor hits second state and stops struggling before 10 or 20 seconds have passed they get hit with some kind of punishment, say a subtraction of 5000 bloodpoints from your total earned that match or something.

    My first thought was hitting people in BP but the punishment for doing this could literally be anything, it could be treated exactly like DC penalties if the community requested in worked that way, preventing people from queuing and playing again until a certain period of time has passed.

    The timer itself is also subject to any kind of change I just suggested 10 or 20 seconds because it's a short time period meant to deter / discourage / stop players from letting go immediately as soon as possible. But it could be something longer like 30 seconds

    Hell, create a big penalty on letting go right away or quickly after, and a small penalty for letting go at any point before you would have died naturally. Survivors should be fighting to stay alive for as long as possible, providing more incentives like increased BP for doing so is also a good way to combat this issue.

    BPs are not an incentive. Idgaf and if I'm having a crap first ten seconds I'm not going to suffer it. Simple as.

  • Hooks need just a rework.

    1. I‘m so tired of player who see there is coming a survivor to unhook so they decide to cobe and suicide instand. It ruins the match for all other player, chance for escapes is reduced, no bp/emblems for unhooking and healing, only one hook for the killer... the Game shouldn’t give survivor this way (it’s same as dc)
    2. you can’t punish player for miss the button/spacebar cause of lags or sometimes player press to slow. I‘m a rank 1 surv, but sometimes I’m just to slow to smash the button :-( the second hookstage is just trash and the devs argument for this „the player shouldn’t go to the kitchen“ is laughable!
    3. A solution could be: just hang on the the hook, before you go to stage 2 you can threetimes try to selfunhook OR just remove the punishment for trying cobe, so the timer is always the same. The second stage shouldn’t force a player to smash a button/spacebar like a monkey, use easy skillchecks, bigger than this of cages, so nobody miss it. With this we have another advantage: survivor can’t die to give the hatch ;)
    4. Btw the other new trend is that you run cross the whole map to a unhook or you are near the hook and the person on hook thinks: fine, I get unhooked so I try fast to cobe for the points... I hate it, just that player try it in this situation
1 2 3 ›