The Real Reason Haddonfield and Disturbed Ward should be next
Leaving all the gameplay reasons aside, from an aesthetic point of view, they are absolutely #########.
Haddonfield from the outside can be nice. But the inside of the houses are mediocre. There are only three distinguishable rooms in the entire map; a kitchen, a living room and a basement (not the hook basement, the two stair one). There is little furniture variety, the rooms have no particularly interesting design or sense. They are just whatever space was left inside the house when they designed them.
A similar thing with the Asylum. Where are the patients' rooms? The nurse's/orderlies' rooms, the priest's room, offices, whatever an asylum has. At least theres an entrance "hall". If the map wasnt called like it is, probably we wouldnt even be able to tell what that building is supposed to be.
I get it. Those were the first two DLCs they made. They were a small team pushed by Starbreeze. They kept gameplay in mind rather than aesthetics. Not complaining about that. But I truly wish that when these maps get reworked, the change wont be just "block off this one window", "add an unsafe pallet there", "maybe a breakable wall here". For instance, they could reduce the amount of buildings in Haddonfield and make the main ones bigger and more detailed. Or for Disturbed Ward making the Asylum actually an asylum by increasing it in size (which also fixes the awful dead zones around it).
As far as it seems, the upcoming graphical overhaul will only change assets and lighting (in terms of maps). Maybe they will look better and they will get a more in depth change they havent announced, maybe they will still be garbage but with a different texture on top. Only time will tell.
Comments
I think I tend to agree. For Haddonfield specifically, I get a similar feeling to Lery's, although less extreme, where a lot of the areas start to look the same. I wish they spiced it up somehow, instead of having just rows of houses that all look really similar, with a park here and there.