Springwood needs to be reworked next

The map shows up too often (because of all the variations), few killers can do well on it, and it should have been touched on in the recent map rebalancing spree.

There's still tons of unmindgameable pallets, meaning you have to break the pallet or it's an infinite. It suffers from the same problem as Haddonfield in that it has too many houses, which are decent loops even without the pallets, that can be used infinitely. The other non-conventional buildings are also pretty strong even without the pallets. Hillbilly gets dead stopped by an imaginary extended fence hitbox, and Huntress's hatchets suffer the same fate.

I know some people are gonna defend the map as it is, because it has the strongest basement in the game and there's some open space for ranged killers, but those just aren't good enough reasons. I might even rank it more survivor sided than Rotten Fields. The point is: fix this busted map.

P.S. Thanks devs for the upcoming graphics update.

Comments

  • Springwood is still bottom 4 for me in terms of maps, even post-rework. The Game, Lery's, Hawkins,and this are all uggggghhhhh, regardless of which role I am playing.

    I like Haddonfield, but only as survivor. :D

  • Springwood does have a bunch of 100% safe pallets, it commonly spawns a House of Pain, and commonly spawns a 2-story house that only a small select handful of killers can mindgame. On top of that, most of its loops are borderline unmindgameable simply because the survivor can see you. That's not to say they are safe, just unmindgameable. Car loops come to mind here: you have to animation-lock the survivor to get a hit.

  • This is something I'm torn on. I don't personally run into too much trouble on most Springwood maps (either role), there are one or two of the five possible variations that are a bit too close to the old version of the map (bad), but the other three felt reasonably balanced to me.

    Its not a great set of maps, but I'm hesitant to say that these should be high-priority for redesign when there are other maps that are so much worse to play on:

    -Haddonfield should get breakable walls to help with its plentiful houses and fences. I'd personally also like for more of the houses to be open, but for less of them to have their second floors accessible.

    -Ormond needs more visible scratch marks and a tighter gen spread; it forces the killer into one of the largest patrol routes in the game (despite being a mid-sized map).

    -The Game needs more tiles with vaults and fewer with pallets, and a lot of its pallets need to become less safe. Currently, if you aren't running a killer that deals with pallets quickly (or can use them to set up hits like Huntress), then this map is painful to play.

    -Shelter Woods needs more... everything. Its the only map I find to be deeply unbalanced in killers favor, but I think the whole point of these map redesigns is to make them less one-sided.

    -And the Yamaoka maps need their bamboo checked out. Seems completely random whether the stalks have hitboxes (blocking killer) or not.

  • @MiniPisa said:

    Tbh, (and I know im biased about this) but I don't think it needs changing. I think it's okay to have survivor sided and killer sided maps, and some be 50/50. I mean, I find the laboratory ridiculous to play as survivor, it has a TONE of pallets, but incredibly unsafe ones... To the point where they're only good for pallet stuns - not to forget it feels like a maze and its hard to find gens and totems on it too, but i'm okay with this because sometimes you just gotta have a map that favours killers, and some survivors (like springwood). Lets also remember that eventually all maps will have breakable walls, so they might be improving it for killers as we speak.

    I don't think there should be killer and survivor sided maps. Every map should be fair. Otherwise it's like "Oh we're on this map. I guess I lose!" and even now I get that feeling on some maps.