Should there be a penalty for this?

Scenario: The last two survivors are down for the count. Survivor 'A' is near the hatch waiting to make a quick escape. Survivor 'B' is being carried by the Killer to a nearby hook. Survivor 'B' disconnects from the match which causes the hatch to immediately open. Survivor 'A' gets rewarded with a free escape for doing nothing and the Killer does not get points for two hooks.

Question: Should there be a penalty for the remaining survivor rather than a free escape?

Suggestions:

1) The Entity blocks the hatch for 30 seconds upon Survivor 'B' disconnecting (similar to the Bamboozle and Corrupt Intervention perks).

2) Suggestion 1 + a red light (similar to the map glass bead feature) appears on the hatch for 30 seconds.

3) Suggestion 1 + Survivor 'A' can be killed by the Killer (regardless of mori).

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • I would be a fan of the hatch getting blocked briefly, specifically on the condition that the next-to-last survivor dies by giving up (not the struggle timer running out or any other method). The "oh I suicided to give my friend the hatch lol" stuff is so dumb.

  • I think a mixture of 1 and 2 would be good, to be honest.

  • Since we can't assume that Survivors A and B were friends, or that Survivor A wanted B to disconnect, it would be wrong to punish Survivor A in that scenario. So I don't think they should be penalised, but I wouldn't mind that situation being made fairer to the point where the disconnect doesn't give a notable advantage.

    To that end, I think Suggestion 1 is by far the best, but I think 30 seconds is too long - in my opinion, it should only last as long as the sacrifice animation would have, which I believe is about 10 seconds. That way, Survivor A doesn't have significantly more of an advantage than they would have if Survivor B had just died on hook, but they're not penalised for something they can't control.

  • I can't say I've ever actually seen this happen; the closest is dying on hook to give the last person a chance. But I agreen with Fibijean. A slight delay similar to sacrifice animation is good, but 30 seconds is too long. Pretty sure most killers can lap most maps in that time.

  • @Fibijean said:

    Since we can't assume that Survivors A and B were friends, or that Survivor A wanted B to disconnect, it would be wrong to punish Survivor A in that scenario. So I don't think they should be penalised, but I wouldn't mind that situation being made fairer to the point where the disconnect doesn't give a notable advantage.

    To that end, I think Suggestion 1 is by far the best, but I think 30 seconds is too long - in my opinion, it should only last as long as the sacrifice animation would have, which I believe is about 10 seconds. That way, Survivor A doesn't have significantly more of an advantage than they would have if Survivor B had just died on hook, but they're not penalised for something they can't control.

    Closer to 13 seconds.

  • Add disconnection bots from Mobile or the "Husk" system they were considering implementing a while ago. (Basically bots, but they have no AI and automatically they fall into dying state and slowly bleed out, becoming sacrificed when hooked.)


    Frankly I find DCing for hatch outright exploitation of out-of-game mechanics for an in-game advantage. I think bots would be the best solution, and if that can't be done, husks would also work. Outright punishing the other survivor seems harsh, and ideally there should be no impact on a match if a survivor disconnects. (Basically if someone tries to DC for hatch, the match would play out as if they remained connected and went afk.)


    Quitting should not give a competitive advantage in ANY GAME, EVER!

  • There is an even easier solution that would probably suffice as a reasonable band-aid fix for the problem (maybe even more long-term depending on results):

    Just have a timed delay on the hatch opening which begins as soon as the penultimate survivor has quit. The delay would last for the same amount of time as the standard sacrifice animation.

    Gives the killer the same amount of time to hunt down the last person that they would've gotten without a quitter, but also doesn't place a harsh punishment on the final survivor (who may or may not deserve it, its not exactly something that BHVR can referee). Basically, the game would play out as though the survivor had not quit.