Dedicated Server magic trick

If there are only 3 Survivors remaining, Bill is slugged, Claudette is running away, and I down David...

Then why is there another David suddenly in front of me...

https://gameclips.io/Nos37/3149cb5b-03df-40d4-8a29-1d01bf083b85/embed


Clip link (if video did not embed above): https://gameclips.io/Nos37/3149cb5b-03df-40d4-8a29-1d01bf083b85

The only explanation I could come up with is that beacsue I hit David at the last possible millisecond using EW3, the servers decided that David was not Exposed for the hit, but the hit was still successful. How he went from lying on the ground behind me to running away in front of me is... well, beyond me.

Comments

  • In the words of Peter Venkman: "Now there's something you don't see every day!".

    From what I saw, you struck David; he went into the dying state, but his status at the bottom left only showed him as injured. If you hit him at that sweet spot when EW3 ends, maybe the strike turned to EW2, but was started as EW3. The animation acts in accordance to what you see because - I dunno - latency? But the survivor may have seen the strike as EW2 from their perspective. As a result, the server catches up and a mysterious David appears. This is one of those 1 in a million occurances, but yeah really odd!

    What did the David King player say at the end?

  • From what I know about how the servers work, this is what I think happened:

    1. You attacked David right at the end of EW3. This attack takes much longer than it does for the server to get the information about your EW status.
    2. The server "updated" your EW status before the attack was initiated.
    3. While the hit detection is still based on what you see, the EW status is not. Therefore, it showed you the animation of David going down (because that's what should've happened if you'd hit him with EW3), but in fact applied an EW2 hit (because that's how you were as far as the server is concerned).
    4. As the server synchronizes your game with what it processed (i.e.: what "really happened"), David is up again on your screen, because he never really went down in the first place.

    Either that or he was cheating. However, given the circumstances, I'm willing to bet it was just a one in a million thing, like @Vox_Nocturne said.

  • @Vox_Nocturne said:

    In the words of Peter Venkman: "Now there's something you don't see every day!".

    From what I saw, you struck David; he went into the dying state, but his status at the bottom left only showed him as injured. If you hit him at that sweet spot when EW3 ends, maybe the strike turned to EW2, but was started as EW3. The animation acts in accordance to what you see because - I dunno - latency? But the survivor may have seen the strike as EW2 from their perspective. As a result, the server catches up and a mysterious David appears. This is one of those 1 in a million occurances, but yeah really odd!

    What did the David King player say at the end?

    "What did the David King player say at the end?"

    Nothing; which makes sense if on his end he was only hit with EW2