i played dbd for 3 months everyday and here is what i think
i started playing the game around the ruin nerf. I felt in love really fast and hard. I played nearly everyday since then but the love pretty soon became toxic. And after thinking about it for a while today, i'm on the brink to leave. I un-installed the game once before and came back. Maybe some of you have advices for me.
I'm playing ~50/50 both sides, and survivor ~50/50 swf/solo. I care mostly for killer games and i mix survivor games in between because they're not as stressful and tearing. If friends are online, i play swf sometimes (not more than 3 people and because of the language barrier without voice com. But at least i know they're decent)
GENERAL
- the perfomance was always low for me, i have a weak notebook. Dependent on map, between 25 and 45 fps. But since yesterday it's even worse i think. To be honest, i'm not sure, needs more testing. But i definitely have more FPS on better looking games.
KILLER
- the matchmaking is horrible, but it seems that it's even worse since the update yesterday. I've got full rank 1 squads not only once (killer rank 7 currently) last night and today. 90% of the survivors i play against have better ranks than me. It was always like that, even when i de-ranked once to rank 12 to learn new killers, but at least there were some purple and green ranks mixed in here and there.
- I've mostly seen well organized swf's so far since the update. I first thought "Prove Thyself" will become meta, but it seems they're now working strictly separately on gens. If your first chase is a little bit too long, you lose 3 gens, so the problem with the infamous gen-rush is now even worse. Also they're sweating really, really hard, way more than before. I've got only around 20 killer matches so that still has to be confirmed. Yes, git gud, but i only invest time in getting good when i have at least some sense of success and achievement in between, and not getting trashed all the time. This is just demoralizing.
- i couldn't feel any difference balance-wise with the new maps, i performed better on the old maps the days before (Rank 6). But that needs more testing definitely.
SURVIVOR
- i'm currently rank 8. Solo is horrible. Teammates farm you in front of the killer or suicide on the first hook, Killers are mostly green&yellow ranks, some purple. I don't want to start another discussion about hardcore-tunneling, camping, NOED and Moris, i just try to go through it and help my team as good as i can - but it can be super annoying and it happens a lot. Since i do also play killer, i think it's just their helpless reaction to the current state of the game and because everyone thinks, he/she needs 4k every game.
- i never abused god loops, so the changes don't affect me
- some killers like Freddy or Doc are super unfun to play against, but that's just personal preference
- every 5th game, i have an afk-Wraith or Bubba (boring), killer that wants to farm (boring), Hillbilly that tries out crazy jumps on top of buildings with his ability (without playing the "real" game) (boring)
Don't get me wrong, i'm up for memes, sometimes i play Wraith and follow people and annoy them with my bell for a while before actually attacking them. A little bit of unorthodox playstyle is funny and i like to interact with the killer or the survivors without taking everything super seriously.
For me it seems, the community is divided and both sides are bitter and frustrated. I personally don't care about butthurt people that call me names and stuff after game, you have that in every other video game. But i care about my in-game experience. Survivors that taunt and mock you because you have a bad game or because you're not on their skill level, are just the cherry on top.
So, how do you set your mind to deal with all this?
Comments
well iv had the game for nearly 3 years, i play on console so my device doesnt make a huge difference but for me there have always been games with terrible frame rates/jumps. SWF has always been strong, just due to the information they can tell each other. as for the map reworks they seem fine, only been a day for me to see them but much better than before because i dont need to drop chase everytime someone runs to it.
been rank 1 on both sides for 2+years and i dont really mind any perk, killer or items. all i prefer is to see a mixture of them, so it just mixes it all up, sadly you dont see every killer at rank 1 but as it comes to doctor and freddy i dont mind them it just something new to learn which is where alot of people seem to go wrong and i wouldnt say i struggle going against them anymore than other killers and its usually my team that will struggle but the same goes for hillbilly tbh and i see him as pretty weak. Biggest perk issue i have is DS, its just overall strong and lasts for 60seconds so even if you try to avoid that person you could still get DS`s later on so it should deactivate after other hooks but it should counter mori`s. NOED is fine, 5 totems between 4 players isnt bad at all people just need to start getting them, i never used the perk and i hardly see it and when i do at most the killer gets 1 hook from it. and match making is so bad because there arent many low rank killers, this is because the game was made harder for casual killers after the ruin change and maybe thats why you see NOED at those ranks because theyre struggle to pressure etc. but not only that more people play survivor and pipping as survivor is so very easy and near impossible to de-pip, BT can carry you to low ranks just through altruism safe saves and this is why the game can feel imbalanced as some games you get 4 players that cant loop etc. but somehow reached red ranks through easy pipping so you can get 10-12hooks and them do 0-1gens then other games no matter how fast you down the gens can be getting done fast (these are normally the swf groups). the fix is to fix the ranking system, make it so ranks mean something and then you can balance to it, also swf needs a debuff... doesnt have to be huge but when you just play with 1 other person the games go so much easier so i can imagine what a full 4man is like to play on. the reason behind the de-buff is everyone can call out the killers position, any hex`s, whos being chased, what gens are close, where youre injured or downed etc. which is alot of perks if a solo wanted all that kinda info, so a slight debuff to repair and healing to balance for all that info they gain as well as to make it more challenging so they cant rank up easier than solo players (a team cant carry you as easily)
If your objectif is to win and run all meta perks, yes, the game is toxic, but if you play what you like, you will see, it's an hilarious game.
Since I ran my own build, without meta perks, with my own playstyle, I don't necessary do gens, you will see, the game start to be very very fun ๐
Couldn't agree more. I've never used meta perks, apart from BT, but other than that, I like to mix up my perks, test out some new builds that work for me. I usually just do a gen or 2, totem hunt, treasure dive and try avoid being downed in chases. Even if I lose and end up dead on hook, I feel doing more than just gens and leaving is way more fun, and lets the game last a little longer. I also only play solo, so sometimes it's tricky to do this since you still get randoms who will focus solely on gens, but that's more points from totems for me I guess.
I can relate, I've only been playing this game for about 3 months myself. I'll try to help out if I can.
Matchmaking is quite terrible with killer, that's for sure. My first month playing I was stuck in yellow/green ranks and I was frequently facing red ranks, oftentimes in swf. The disappointment of knowing I had little to no chance of winning compounded by the toxicity (flashlight clicking, tbagging, rude comments post-game) made me want to quit a few times. I regret admitting to this, but I resorted to facecamping with Leatherface a few times out of frustration. I almost quit playing killer entirely. But after watching a few streamers like TrU3Ta1ent and Otzdarva play killer, I really wanted to be at that level. It looked really fun to be a skillful high rank killer, so I grinded out a lot of killer games to practice. I watched games from the aforementioned streamers and other high level players to analyze their gameplay and attempt to implement what I learn into my own games. I closely looked at their movement at every loop, the mindgames they use, how they juggled survivors, etc. I rose to purple ranks my second month playing and I'm now currently at rank 1 playing a variety of killers. Best advice I can give is to not focus on winning, but to focus on improving. Take your losses against red rank swf groups in stride and use them as a way to get better in areas you may struggle in (ending chases quick, pressuring gens, juggling and not getting tunnel-visioned, etc). Do your best to not let toxic survivors get the better of you because you know that one day, you're going to be able to destroy survivors like that with ease. Last tip, avoid bringing Moris and overly strong add-ons (for example, Iridescent Head on Huntress) and DEFINITELY avoid using NOED. These mechanics can encourage bad habits in your gameplay that you'll want to avoid if you're trying to improve.
Now for survivor gameplay, I've never had too much of an issue. The game never forced me to play against good killers when I first started playing and by the time I got up to purple ranks, I already had the basics of looping killers and optimizing gens down for the most part. That was mostly due to all of the survivor gameplay I watched, but it was definitely a lot more chill compared to my grind playing killer. Aside from improving your performance at loops, the best advice I can give when playing solo queue survivor is to play in a very selfish manner. Don't focus on helping your team for the sake of it, focus on doing objectives that increase your emblem score. Work on gens whenever you get the chance and never find yourself not doing something. Unhook and heal survivors only until you feel confident that you secured an iridescent medal in benevolence, completely avoid doing unnecessary altruistic actions afterwards. I know that sounds terrible, but the solo queue experience will usually pair you with survivors that will hardly do anything all match. In those cases, it's every man for themselves in my eyes. Make sure you get some points in chaser, especially if the killer was kinda potato and you couldn't get many points in benevolence as a result. Escaping should never be your priority, if you get downed once during the match then the only thing escaping will do is give you gold instead of silver in survival. As long as you focus solely on your emblem score, getting depipped will be unlikely so it's just a matter of playing a lot of games. Only times you may depip are if a killer tunnels you at the start of the match and facecamps you all game, especially if they have a mori. It usually won't happen enough to affect your rank though and if you're good at looping, you can at least make them regret tunneling you. And last but not least, do not let playing survivor stress you out. Survivor games are supposed to be a break from killer games, if it starts getting to you then you may want to take a short break from the game entirely (maybe play some Civ 5 lol).