Some thoughts on pallet/window looping play from a new player
Hi All,
I picked up DBD not long ago and am generally having a blast. So far the game has been good and for the most part enjoyable. As a person who mainly plays killer I can see how camping a hook and leaving people to crawl on the ground and bleed out can be used in an abusive way and I try not to do that.
Hook someone walk away, if chasing two people knock one down hit the other one then come back for downed one and hook them (that sort of thing).
I encountered one very dodgey piece of play though with survivors just looping around and around the same pallet/window. Again one or two loops sure but there are whole teams who just camp certain windows/pallets and run to them to circle while others get gens. I'm sure there is a counter to this with play but it did seem a little on the exploitative side when it came to a team of folks all doing this over and over again. You break the pallet or the entity blocks the window and often they'd run off to another one and it would start all over again.
Often I walk away try and find someone else to hunt but it is an annoying tactic which seems to not be in line with the game's thematic idea. I don't do this as a survivor because I think its a bit dumb and boring. It is possible to escape a killer without it. But after game after game of survivors doing solely this, frankly I got bored and just logged off.
I was thinking perhaps a mechanic where constantly jumping the same pallet/window can result in trip that causes the survivor to stall or fall or perhaps be injured. This could be based on an increasing percentage with the number times you jump the same pallet/window in a single chase. This would still keep the avoidance by vaulting over a pallet as a valid strategy but decrease the payoff when its exploited. With the increasing chance of falling or injury.
Can't say I recall a horror movie where the victims ran circles around the killer - Scooby Doo maybe?
Comments
You are definitely new, welcome to Dead by Daylight!
Get used to Survivors looping around a structure because that is one of the most eficient ways for them to waste the Killer's time.
That is the gameplay for dead by daylight. You're supposed to loop objects to delay the killer while your team gets gens. Best perk choices are almost always perks that directly affect your survival or help you do this (stuff like decisive strike, dead hard, and adrenaline)
You will soon learn why killers camp, slug and tunnel.
Almost sounds like you're half way there!
After racking up a few sacrifices I can see how some looping circling etc are valid escape options for the survivors. Its not as hard as it seems to shut down, often loopers will clip edges allowing you to zap em.
By the same token I can also see how some camping, slugging and devious play by killers is just as valid.
I still think a trip chance mechanic on fast vaults would increase the tension of the game but it may be to punishing on survivors.
I think a lot of the salt comes from people searching for balance in asymetric play. The whole point of asymetric play is that it is unbalanced. The goal is to balance a killer with offsets that make the advantages specific, and then the survivors counter that with playstyle. I reckon DBD has done a good job of this and most of the "this is broken" whining seems to come from people who just shouldn't be playing games like this in the first place. What's the old saying if you get upset about dice rolls maybe you shouldn't play with dice.
I can see how facecamping a hook can be a problem, as I'm leveling leatherface and the grind up two people with the saw freebee double hook save knock down is really really tempting. Is there a perk that gives you knock down immunity after rescuing someone off a hook or maybe thats too strong as it would completely veto basment play.
A couple of loops that seem extra punishing are the staircases in hawkens lab, I really hate that map hehe. I've taken to just using noone escapes death and just beating everyone down at then end. Although you have to leave em on the ground and come get em later for this to be really effective. People do seem to complain about that but the alternative is to let you walk out the door so what did you expect would happen. But I don't feel so bad about that when I spent the match chasing two guys around the same stairwell.
Good game all round
Think of the map as tiles, with dead zones inbetween, there is an optimal path through every tile, so as a killer you have 3 options-
-Survivor makes a mistake you can capitalise on
-Using your killer power/perks to bridge the gap
-and the main way you can deal with loops, mindgames and prediction, can you cut across to get to the tile they are running to? Is there a wall high enough where you can double back and catch them off-guard? Some smaller loops you can easily get hits if they are greedy. It's something that really takes a hell of a long time to pick up, but it's worth sticking with to learn.
Ohtofu (a dbd youtuber) has some really great videos on the tiles and how to run them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6QYjInzLeM
Watching what good survivors do is always the best way to get better at killer.
Thanks for the post mate been getting better and better. Watching a few vids both killer and survivor, finally got LF to 40 and have been BBQ and Chilli'ing it, I can see why everyone recommends it. Wracking at least 2 kills a round usually. Got a bit of salt off one guy I slugged but in my defence I was chasing three and after hooking the other two I couldn't remember where I left him hehe. This really is a great game I'm hooked.