Gen-Grabs on Dedicated Servers
So, since the transition to Dedicated Servers (DS, not to be confused with Decisive Strike... which would make no sense in this context), I'd say that at least 4 out of 5 gen grabs have failed to come through. The animation for the grab starts, and then is just cancelled and the survivor manages to get away.
Grabbing from windows and pallets is also a bit iffy, but I can/do get success with it occasionally.
I understand completely that this is down to a latency issue, which itself is exceptionally difficult to resolve being as it involves multiple components outside the control of the game. However, can it not be made the same as killer strikes, i.e. if the strike lands from the killer's perspective, being as they initiated it, they're granted the hit? So if the killer did get close enough to get the grab, they should be granted it?
I suspect the answer might be something along the lines of the difference between a strike and a grab is that with a strike the survivor is (usually) moving and thus the movement can be extrapolated and estimated and there's play in determining whose latency really caused the difference in perspective, whereas a survivor on a gen could have moved away early enough to avoid the grab but if the killer had high latency (i.e. slow connection), they'd be rewarded because on their screen the survivor would still be there and the game cannot extrapolate movement for a survivor sat on a gen.
I still think it should be killer favoured given that there are multiple potential indicators that you're about to be grabbed... Spirit's phasing is map-wide with her add-on, stop working on the gen. Wraith and Myer's footsteps can still be heard. And then there's just general awareness and even spine chill et al. Survivor's have enough utilities to counter it, without latency favouring them as well.
Comments