Surprised at the Promise
I give the developers, and Peanits, a hard time on this forum. I'm often critical at the lack of foresight shown in what they have done in the game throughout the years. I have to say, reading the changes that are coming, I'm very optimistic, if not boarding on impressed.
When I saw 'Repair Changes' as the title of a section, I was ready to flip my lid. I know I play killer 80% of the time, but fear the ripple effect that changes to gen times could have on the game. That said, I think the changes being proposed are actually healthy. They are not game changing, but a minor tweak in the right direction. I'm shocked at the level of foresight shown in the changes to not just coop-gen times, but to the ways in which survivor perks can help mitigate the changes. /clap
Many of the more balanced discussions (the few we can actually have on this forum) about game balance itself have centered around not just gen times, but chase times. The maps being a huge issue, and the ability to string loops being another. The changes being proposed seem to address both, and do so in a logical manner. I'm very optimistic about it and am surprised at the level of careful movement in this area. It seems you found the scalpel and put down the sledgehammer!
I discussed these changes with my wife, who is a survivor main, and a co-worker who was a survivor main and quit. Both are above average, but not top-tier loopers. They feel the changes to maps will have little impact on their play style as they are competent at looping for a gen, but not really going to be doing a 4 gen run with the killer. I explain that as a killer, some of these loops and jungle gym setups are very frustrating. Good survivors can be extremely efficient in their use and unless you are able to capitalize on a tiny mistake, you are looking at 1-2 gens easily.
If I may make a suggestion when it comes to jungle gym setup; identify locations where you want them to appear and leave the random aspect being what type of jungle gym shows up and what direction the pallet opening is facing. There are many maps where I play survivor and find there is nowhere to go if a killer comes, yet as a killer (groaning storehouse) I find maps where it is endless jungle gyms in an area and there is little hopes of an efficient chase. It would be nice to see these equally distributed on a regular basis.
TL:DR - Impressed with the proposed changes. They seem to be done with a scalpel instead of the sledgehammer. Keep it up, and somebody please hide the sledgehammer, just in case there is a relapse.
Comments
Thanks for the feedback @Warlock_2020 and for the positive feedback at that, it's always nice to hear.
I'm hoping that people are going to really enjoy the map changes in particular, I think they've been needed for a really long time.
Thank you for the kind words.
Just to clear something up, maze tiles basically spawn like you described it. Each tile on every map has a preset type. Maze tiles (like jungle gyms) can only spawn in tiles designated as maze tiles. Every time that map generates, it will have some tile of maze tile there. Sometimes it's a little more picky and will even have a certain type of tile that must spawn or can't spawn in a specific spot.