Ramblings about DBD
I've been mulling over DbD for a little while now. There was always this issue that nudged at me, but I couldn't put my finger on it.
But I had to ask myself, is this a team game? Of course it has teams, but it seems to not really play like one.
You gain generator speed when repairing a generator with others, and the goal is to prolong your chases with the Killer as long as possible. The former highly benefits from a team, as a generator with four people can be completed in a little less than thirty seconds, and with three, a few seconds over thirty. The latter? The latter is a highly individual occurrence, only involving a team really when they are downed and need to be saved.
I feel like in there, its a disconnect. The main objective can be done by a team and only disrupted by the individual killer. The chases can be done single-handedly by one individual, often for long periods of time if they path correctly and your killer cannot punish them accordingly.
It would explain why matches tend to go intensely killer favored after getting an early kill. I mean, when you force one survivor to chase, a generator cannot get done in 33.3 seconds if your third is in a chase. It can only get done from 0 - 100% in 44.4 seconds. A little over half the time of a regular generator, but its increased time nonetheless. And if you down the third, then a generator cannot be done in 44.4 seconds, only the standard 80 seconds, as someone will need to go rescue them.
Do we really want this game to rely this much on a snowball effect? Survivors snowballing off of one person who can path well, or the Killer snowballing off tunneling one survivor?
Comments
I'll be honest I kinda went on about one topic and kinda flopped to the next with little transition, this was just rambling.
I think this game is ruined when survivors coordinate on coms. Thats why i only play solo when i play survivor. Makes it more challenging not knowing what is going on in places out of sight.
I think repairing a Gen alone is more optimal, because then, in these 80 seconds, 4 Gens could theoretically be completed instead of just 2 Gens when repairing the Gen with someone else.
I think the efficiency bonus is impossibly easy to accomplish, especially in the Early Game.
Halfing the time it takes to complete a gen should take a full team. Instead it goes from 80 seconds down to 27 seconds. If the killer doesn't immediately disrupt early game pressure gens fly like mad.