Noed, and how even this is a solo vs swf issue
[Let me preface this by saying that whenever I mention swf, I mean the ones who use comms. Edited title to make it more clear.]
Since everyone is discussing this perk, I'd like to give my 2 cents on it, and see what other people think.
Now, NOED is, without a doubt, my least favourite perk in the game. Do I get salty when I see it? No, but I still don't like it. I personally believe that it rewards those who have played badly and not had enough pressure onto gens (I know that with many killers, this is really difficult to do, but when I see a freddy running noed, pop, and teleport add ons, like really?). Also imo it's really unfun to use and to face. As survivor I hate to see it, and as killer I hate to use it.
I speak from the point of view of someone who once never refused to take it off.
And because of this experience, I believe that it is a crutch perk, because killers rely on it. I know I sure did, and you can tell by the way someone plays that they have noed, because often they're bad in chases, don't know how to pressure, and rely on the endgame.
So what's my main issue with it?
It all boils down to the solo vs swf issue, surprisingly.
When I play as a solo survivor (which is about 60-70% of the time I play a survivor), I don't have the time to do totems in most cases, because my teammates are absolutely pepega and it's up to me to do gens. Naturally if I see a totem I'll get rid of it - gotta get that inner strength activated - but there just doesn't seem to be enough time to get saves, do gens, get chased (or hide), and cleanse totems. Not to mention not knowing how many totems have been cleansed; I only have so many maps I can use on my survivors, especially iif I use my bloodpoints on my killers. It's only when I play solo noed is ever really a problem.
However when I'm playing with some buddies - even if it's just one - then I know that at least ONE person on my team can do gens. I can, therefore, take my time and do totems, get chased, and get saved. Gens become a significantly lower priority issue because I know somebody else is on them. Also, I know which totems have been cleansed, how many there were, and their general location (example, if someone says "Totem inside killer shack done" I know to not look by shack). I don't need to use small game, or detectives hunch, or a map; I have information right there.
(My usual build consists of Quick and Quiet, Head On, Decisive Strike, and Inner Strength. However, DS is often be substituted out for Detective's Hunch anyway).
Again the issue is the massive power split between solo survivors and swf.
So how can this be changed? Well, the only real way to fix this is to bridge the gap between solo and swf. A totem counter seems like a great idea; maybe have it on small game like TOTH? Showing the aura of destroyed dull totems briefly to all survivors would be an AMAZING QOL buff to solos, not helping swf that much. As payback, killers can see the auras of their dull totems still on the map, supplying more info into survivor locations and allowing them to defend it more for their TOTH or NOED. Seems like a fair buff to both sides to me.
Now, obviously there are other ways, but these are just two that I thought of.
Feel free to discuss this in the comments, but please be civil.
TL;DR: noed is an issue which is only actually an issue due to the power disparity of solo survivors and swf, and the only way to stop survivors being annoyed is to allow solos more info, and change how totems work for killers accordingly).
[Apologies for formatting, I'm writing this on my phone.]
Comments
NOED is fine and controlled by survivors.
/thread
Again this isn't a nerf noed thread, it's how noed and the complaints about it are another example of the solo/swf power difference, and then I gave some ways to buff solos, and killers to compensate.