Hidden Ranks/MMR (Match Making Rating) is a bad idea

In case folks don't know, behavior has been considering hiding your opponent ranks at the end of matches (but allowing you to see and focus on your own rank). Additionally, they said that you will have a hidden MMR which will determine how you get matched.

I hate this idea for two key reasons:

1) Lack of transparency dis-empowers community - it blatantly makes it more difficult for the community to critique and provide feedback, and Matchmaking significantly effects enjoyment.

2) You can't tell whether it was you or your opponent - Even if your rank, emblems, etc. are shown, it is impossible to measure your own performance and improve without at least a basic measure of your opponents skill. Sure, you can make a good educated guess, but ranks (however flawed) at least provide a crude metric of opponent skill. You may feel you had a fantastic game, but then realize for some reason as a red rank killer you got put against a green rank team. It really wasn't your skill, it was the survivors lack of skill (which is typically the case).

I think that behavior thinks this will make the game less toxic, but I disagree. Survivors will try to "show off their rank" with all the typical behavior, if anything showboating might get worse.

Hiding information from the community is not useful, and I strongly disagree with this proposed idea.

Comments

  • How will showboating get worse?

  • I agree, on the 2)

  • The “rank” should be the MMR number. Just like most MOBAs do. Or any other game that has a MMR. I’m good getting rid of the current Rank. Fine. But hiding the MMR? That is one of the worst ideas we’ve ever heard.

  • Well it’s bad for two reasons.

    1. MMR and RNG don’t really mix, but oh well DBD’s gonna go with it anyways cause yeah!
    2. It’s Hidden. Why? I have no idea, if it’s hidden how are we supposed to know what’s good and bad? Killers can get multiple 4ks but they start to notice survivors are getting more meh. Does the MMR gain by time, downs, hits, interactions, gens, sacrifices? Who knows. As a survivor if you keep escaping but get worse killers what are you doing wrong? What’s the “right” way to play? Who knows.